E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Helppp...Single Lady Needs Price Opinion on 08 535

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

Keep in mind that cars will not run out of this world ! There will be plenty of them if you cant make a good deal on this one.. =)
Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Members

Nice to hear of someone else getting the itch for a 5 series. Just throwing this out there........... 2008 535I with similar miles are bringing $29-$32 at wholesale auction right now. While the used car market is strong right now, they are asking a premium for a vehicle I am sure they got back from a lease and some dealer already made their share of money on
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

kab416 is Carlton lol
Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bigkat
Nice to hear of someone else getting the itch for a 5 series. Just throwing this out there........... 2008 535I with similar miles are bringing $29-$32 at wholesale auction right now. While the used car market is strong right now, they are asking a premium for a vehicle I am sure they got back from a lease and some dealer already made their share of money on
Wow....I want to shrink you guys down and put you in my pocket! Huge, huge help!

Here's an update...the sales guy called back, said he would even out the trade @ 18,900 (and acted like he was doing me a huge favor) but wasn't moving on the 535 price of 37k. I said thanks, maybe call me if the price moves atleast 3k south of that. BUT! I was reminded by my uncle that my cousin has a dealer license and buys cars (Subarus for his small dealership in CO) at auction all the time. So, he is going to start researching some options on that end. Has anyone else bought an auction car? What kind of leg work do you do? I know I will give the vin to my SA, check the accident history, etc. But any other tips?

Originally Posted by bmwgroup
kab416 is Carlton lol
HA! Who is Carlton!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kab416
Wow....I want to shrink you guys down and put you in my pocket! Huge, huge help!

Here's an update...the sales guy called back, said he would even out the trade @ 18,900 (and acted like he was doing me a huge favor) but wasn't moving on the 535 price of 37k. I said thanks, maybe call me if the price moves atleast 3k south of that. BUT! I was reminded by my uncle that my cousin has a dealer license and buys cars (Subarus for his small dealership in CO) at auction all the time. So, he is going to start researching some options on that end. Has anyone else bought an auction car? What kind of leg work do you do? I know I will give the vin to my SA, check the accident history, etc. But any other tips?

HA! Who is Carlton!
Member 'Krozi' has some first hand experience with auctions. You might want to shoot him a Private Message.

You made the right decision to not jump on that car. I leased my 535, and I wouldnt go over $600 a month. The salesman wouldnt budge from $605, telling me it is only $5, to which i replied "if it is only $5, then come down to $600." No bite. Found one at a dealer about 40 miles away and picked it up for $599 after tax. The original salesman calls me back the following day and asks if I changed my mind, I told him I found one for $599 and I was driving it as we speak. He cursed me out, dropped a couple of F bombs, called me some names, then hung up on me. Play your cards right, and the salesman will always end up with pie on their face. When he calls you next week coming down 2K, and you are already driving a 535 you found over the weekend, he'll be the asshole. There are more 40-60K cars then there are buyers right now.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by craigm1841
I leased my 535, and I wouldnt go over $600 a month. The salesman wouldnt budge from $605, telling me it is only $5, to which i replied "if it is only $5, then come down to $600." No bite. Found one at a dealer about 40 miles away and picked it up for $599 after tax. The original salesman calls me back the following day and asks if I changed my mind, I told him I found one for $599 and I was driving it as we speak. He cursed me out, dropped a couple of F bombs, called me some names, then hung up on me
Your description is how I got into a BMW in the first place. I was trying to buy a new Mercedes Benz at the time but the amount MB (corporate store) was offering for my MB trade was ridiculous so I went to the BMW dealer and bought my first BMW in 2004. I was and am a MB owner continuously since 1979.
Drove back to MB to show my MB salesperson my new BMW purchase. He was cordial and congratulated me.
Point of story is don't be afraid to walk away.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

What are the details on your trade in? Year, make, model etc. They may be playing the numbers game, showing you more money for a trade that is not worth it.....jacking up the price on the BMW. Most buyers get offended when they find out their 1970 POS is not worth the $28,000 they still owe on it, so dealers show you more for the trade but increase the price of the new car.

Best idea is to contact a Finance company (bank etc) and shoot them the VIN of the BMW. They will tell you the book out on it (maximum loan value). Alot of banks will finance up to 120% MLV, let them know you are looking for only 100%....this will let you know where you stand.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

I bought my Acura MDX through a broker (Automotive Search) here in Denver who bought it at auction in San Diego. The only leg work I did was tell them what I wanted and they looked nation wide. They found an MDX in San Diego and had it shipped to Denver. I got a 2005 MDX touring w/ Navigation, 32,000 miles for $23900, blue book $26000. Broker paid for new brakes, new battery, new tires, new second key, new Nav DVD, even went to the DMV and got my license and registration for me, delivered the car to my work...dealer prep fee was $349. Before they found this one, they found one in Florida that failed the inspection that this broker gives each vehicle. They also read the paint with a paint meter to see if there has been any bodywork not reported on CARFAX. I am totally pleased with my experience...this broker will also negotiate on new cars for you.

As info and for comparison, I just checked their website...They have a 2008 535XI right now for $34,495...44K miles. Options include Premium PKG COLD WEATHER PKG Comfort Access Fold Down Rear Seats HEATED REAR SEATS FRONT/REAR PARK DISTANCE CONTROL NAVIGATION, Sapphire Black with creme beige interior. If you have a cousin in CO, he might be able to check it out for you. The rep I worked with was Colleen Tinker at Automotive Search.

ttp://automotive-search.ebizautos.com/detail-2008-bmw-5_series-4dr_sdn_535xi_awd-used-7263381.html