E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Seat Belt Tensioner Fault!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 184 Likes on 179 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

i have my car at the dealer right now and they said the computer read that the seat belt tensioner is faulting. the i-drive displays a passenger restraint fault. is this something i can easily repair myself of should i let the stealer do it instead? thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

how and the heck does the computer even read the dang seat belt force limiter? that car must have sensors up the wazoo obviously.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

These cars are incredibly sophisticated. The seat belt system is part of the entire crash safety system that includes all the airbags, etc. The seat belts will cinch up in a crash to help keep you in the seat. If it were me, I'd let the "stealer" solve it.

Did you ever get your oil service reset?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
These cars are incredibly sophisticated. The seat belt system is part of the entire crash safety system that includes all the airbags, etc. The seat belts will cinch up in a crash to help keep you in the seat. If it were me, I'd let the "stealer" solve it.

Did you ever get your oil service reset?
My car is at the dealer as I type this.

BMW has adamantly refused to reset the oil service indicator because they did not do the work.

I even showed them the receipt from my indy mechanic showing that he used BMW Synthetic Oil and everything.

They still refused to reset it.

I am looking into purchasing the software that resets it.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by donpb
My car is at the dealer as I type this.

BMW has adamantly refused to reset the oil service indicator because they did not do the work.

I even showed them the receipt from my indy mechanic showing that he used BMW Synthetic Oil and everything.

They still refused to reset it.

I am looking into purchasing the software that resets it.
You can easily reset the oil service indicator yourself. I have done this and it works. I do my own oil change. Here is a procedure below. The seat belt tensioner is a different issue, you should let the dealer do it. What happened with the blower regulator?

Sorry, can't credit the source, as I don't have it. I am sure it came from this forum though...

1. Turn ignition on to terminal 15. Button pushed twice. All lights on, no engine.
2. Close all doors.
3. Press and hold the instrument cluster set/reset button for 10 seconds
4. The upper display in the cluster will be illuminated with a service item. E.G. an oil can is designated for oil service. The lower display in the cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that service item. PRESSING the button repeatedly will all the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service items.
5. When oil Can appears in message center release the reset button.
6. reset message will appear, push once more.

System is now reset. You can also watch a video on youtube.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by donpb
i have my car at the dealer right now and they said the computer read that the seat belt tensioner is faulting. the i-drive displays a passenger restraint fault. is this something i can easily repair myself of should i let the stealer do it instead? thanks!
pretensioner in the seat belt buckle. for whatever reason, they fail from age, usually on the LF. If I had a dime for every LF seatbelt buckle I changed in an E36 or E39 you wouldn't be reading this because I'd be on the Ferrari Enzo owners forum instead. Find a good indy that will do this for you, or even better let a reputable body shop do it for you.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

it doesn't seem like it would be a difficult DIY to me. i am still waiting to hear back from the dealer at this time.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gee_115
You can easily reset the oil service indicator yourself. I have done this and it works. I do my own oil change. Here is a procedure below. The seat belt tensioner is a different issue, you should let the dealer do it. What happened with the blower regulator?

Sorry, can't credit the source, as I don't have it. I am sure it came from this forum though...

1. Turn ignition on to terminal 15. Button pushed twice. All lights on, no engine.
2. Close all doors.
3. Press and hold the instrument cluster set/reset button for 10 seconds
4. The upper display in the cluster will be illuminated with a service item. E.G. an oil can is designated for oil service. The lower display in the cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that service item. PRESSING the button repeatedly will all the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service items.
5. When oil Can appears in message center release the reset button.
6. reset message will appear, push once more.

System is now reset. You can also watch a video on youtube.
I have another thread where I tried all that about 4 jillion times. It just won't reset. Nor can my indy mechanic reset it either. He's done it before and so have I, with ease.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

it wasn't the seat belt or tensioner/limiter at all.

the dealer says that small cable on the battery was loose and that sends a signal that something is wrong with the system. if you get into a major crash, that cable is supposed to break so the air bag system can be looked at. but if it is loose, it will send the same exact signal.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Can you post a picture of the cable that was loose? I've got the same issue going on.

Quick Reply: HELP: Seat Belt Tensioner Fault!