E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help! rear window stuck open...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

My rear window won't close. It's only just happened. As the wife was about to take the kids to school, I was talking to my daughter through the open window as they were leaving. The rear windows are child locked, and my wife was closing the window, but at the same time my daughter was flicking the window switch to try to close the window , and now it is stuck open!!

She has tried switching the engine off and restarting it but that hasn't worked, and also tried holding the lock button down when locking the car to hopefully close the open window, but that has failed.

When you press the window switch you can hear a clicking from under the passenger seat, the same noise can be heard when the other windows open or close, but with this window, no movement, just the clicking.

The window at the moment is stuck at about a third open.

My only other thought is to let the car go to sleep and see if that resets it's self.

Anyone have any thoughts or help????

Lee
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Members

Hi, hope you have your window fixed. Last time I had this problem it came up on the dash anti trap. To reset held both buttons down for a few seconds and it fixed the problem. This was with the front and not the back. If that doesn't work try checking the fuse. If fuse is ok try pulling it and putting it back in. And finally try disconnecting battery for 10 minutes. If still nothing it needs a diagnostics computer.
Good luck
Old 01-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

press the button on your driver door marke "window lock"
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Update:

Just returned back from the dealers who have run various tests, and have diagnosed the fault is the window motor, which i had suspected, but hoped it wasn't. They havn't got any window motors in the UK, so it has to be ordered direct from Germany, so it is going to be a weeks time before it is fixed.

In the meantime they have disconected the motor, and have managed to manually close the window, although, it is only just touching the felt seal, so I am hoping it doesn't rain...

The one issue I have now is that the opposite rear window now doesn't open or close properly, and I have a fault come up on the screen, ' Window mechanism anti trap fault'. The 'working' rear window, when you press the button only goes up, or down about 4 inches at a time, so you have to repeatedly press the button 4 or 5 times to get the window completely open or shut. The front windows work fine.

My question is, is this a result of the engineers disconecting the rear window motor? And this rear window issue, is this a fail safe mechanism by BMW when a fault of this nature is diagnosed?? Or is it something the Dealers have messed up?

Any thoughts would be apprieciated, thanks.

Lee
Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='769427' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:42 AM
Update:

Just returned back from the dealers who have run various tests, and have diagnosed the fault is the window motor, which i had suspected, but hoped it wasn't. They havn't got any window motors in the UK, so it has to be ordered direct from Germany, so it is going to be a weeks time before it is fixed.

In the meantime they have disconected the motor, and have managed to manually close the window, although, it is only just touching the felt seal, so I am hoping it doesn't rain...

The one issue I have now is that the opposite rear window now doesn't open or close properly, and I have a fault come up on the screen, ' Window mechanism anti trap fault'. The 'working' rear window, when you press the button only goes up, or down about 4 inches at a time, so you have to repeatedly press the button 4 or 5 times to get the window completely open or shut. The front windows work fine.

My question is, is this a result of the engineers disconecting the rear window motor? And this rear window issue, is this a fail safe mechanism by BMW when a fault of this nature is diagnosed?? Or is it something the Dealers have messed up?

Any thoughts would be apprieciated, thanks.

Lee
Hi Lee, I had the same problem after disconnect and reconnect the battery. you can fix it yourself, no need to waste $$ on dealer for this. Instruction as below:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=trap+fault
Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Members

although, it is only just touching the felt seal, so I am hoping it doesn't rain...
Rain and snow due according to the forecast, get her in you garage!