E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please: my high beams can't be turned off

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:44 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535XI
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by jameshuang86
So I took my car to European auto source in anaheim, and they swapped in the new LCM and used autologic to try and retrofit it. Problem was now I have more issues.. the blinker starts blinking the high beam, my passenger angel eye is out, and host of other issues when blinking. I don't know what to do now..
Do you have a lap with team viewer and coding programs and your coding cable?

If so send me a pm .
Old 02-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by jameshuang86
So I took my car to European auto source in anaheim, and they swapped in the new LCM and used autologic to try and retrofit it. Problem was now I have more issues.. the blinker starts blinking the high beam, my passenger angel eye is out, and host of other issues when blinking. I don't know what to do now..
The coding is probably messed up: the wire that's connected to the high beam is defined as the turn signal in the LM2 coding. I'm guessing the previous owner didn't use the proper headlight retrofit harness when doing the LCI retrofit, and simply did some custom coding in the LM2 to redefine its outputs to match the wiring. What I suggest (you'll need NCS Expert and OBD2 cable):

1) Put back the old LM2 and read the TRC file (containing all the coding information) from it.
2) Install the new LM2.
3) Code the new LM2 with the coding options from the TRC file.

This will only work if the old and new LM2 have the same software version, since the contents of the TRC file can change depending on the software version.

Also, since you've pulled out the old LM2 you can check if it's really an LM2 or the original LM, and compare with the new one.

Finally, check the wiring inside your headlight to see if there are any breaks in the insulation causing short circuit(s). This is known to happen due to the poor insulation used in these headlights.

cinergi
Old 02-24-2016, 11:13 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by cinergi
The coding is probably messed up: the wire that's connected to the high beam is defined as the turn signal in the LM2 coding. I'm guessing the previous owner didn't use the proper headlight retrofit harness when doing the LCI retrofit, and simply did some custom coding in the LM2 to redefine its outputs to match the wiring. What I suggest (you'll need NCS Expert and OBD2 cable):

1) Put back the old LM2 and read the TRC file (containing all the coding information) from it.
2) Install the new LM2.
3) Code the new LM2 with the coding options from the TRC file.

This will only work if the old and new LM2 have the same software version, since the contents of the TRC file can change depending on the software version.

Also, since you've pulled out the old LM2 you can check if it's really an LM2 or the original LM, and compare with the new one.

Finally, check the wiring inside your headlight to see if there are any breaks in the insulation causing short circuit(s). This is known to happen due to the poor insulation used in these headlights.

cinergi
So I took apart my headlight yesterday, and when the headlight was out with the harness plugged in, it started working fine again, which makes me think it is a wiring issue.. It worked all night / and this morning during the drive it stopped working again, I wiggled the harness, and it started working correctly again.

My question is, where would I buy a replacement harness?Looks like the wiring job was taped up so I'm guessing the harness was modified? I believe the LCI retrofit needed some modifying. Does anyone sell the harness that way?
Old 02-24-2016, 11:13 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Kewill0360

If so send me a pm .
Thanks for your offer, but I don't have any coding programs available..
Old 02-24-2016, 01:41 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Kewill0360

If so send me a pm .
If you don't mind. I have the BMW Software. Would you be able to assist in coding a LM2 to my vin?
Old 02-24-2016, 04:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206

I also have issue with LCI headlight too.

I just bought this pre LCI e60 (originally came with xenon per VIN check) and previous owner retrofitted the LCI headlights. I open the hood and see a lot of wiring/tapping so I think he didn't use any harness but rather tapping on the old wires.

If I turn the light to auto, lights turns on with both low beam and angel eyes. However if I switched to ON, only right headlight turns on and the left one just remains off, angel is on though. I always have message saying headlight failure everytime I turn on my car.

What should I do to get this cleared/fixed? In case I need a new LMU2 and/or harness, where should I get them from?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by richie281vn
I also have issue with LCI headlight too.

I just bought this pre LCI e60 (originally came with xenon per VIN check) and previous owner retrofitted the LCI headlights. I open the hood and see a lot of wiring/tapping so I think he didn't use any harness but rather tapping on the old wires.

If I turn the light to auto, lights turns on with both low beam and angel eyes. However if I switched to ON, only right headlight turns on and the left one just remains off, angel is on though. I always have message saying headlight failure everytime I turn on my car.

What should I do to get this cleared/fixed? In case I need a new LMU2 and/or harness, where should I get them from?

Thanks

Mine was a wiring issue (90% sure). I unplugged the harness from the headlight, and I saw some corrosion where the metal inside the plugs met the plastic area.. and I cleaned it off with a brush and so far all is well.. probably need to get a new harness though