E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP! PDC Malfunction!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAK' post='534606' date='Feb 22 2008, 01:41 PM
TRY looking in here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Good luck!
Thank you for the link, it was very helpful. Ill give you an update... I opened up the trunk and took out the spare. There was an inch of water! Everything was soaked including the MPM that i had replaced. I took everything apart and the MPM looked worse than the PDC. It turned out that cleaning them didnt help. My MPM still works but I need to buy a new PDC module now. They should really cover this, it is a horrible design flaw. There is no drain in the trunk. Thanks for all your help
Mike
Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Members

Smile

HELLLPPP!!!!

I now have a new problem! As i posted before the electronics were sitting in water again. I replaced the MPM and PDC units today for a mere 450 dollars. Everything buy my PDC works! It still says PDC Malfunction. Its not the relay switch thats in the trunk. Everything looks good there. I cant find what the problem is! I also checked all the fuses... Anyone Please Help!!!
Thanks
Mike
Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 AM
MAK
Members

Ouch! a bit on the steep side. Just as a matter of interest although the screen shows PDC malfunction have you tried to see if it brings up the vehicle display when you put it in reverse.

I am thinking along the lines of although it shows the PDC message along bottom of screen it could be that with fitting the new part your software me need to be updated or the message cleared by a BMW dealer.
Just a thought !
Mabye some of our more knowledgeable friends here can help . Rudy perhaps???

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mak
Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MAK' post='536639' date='Feb 27 2008, 09:34 AM
Ouch! a bit on the steep side. Just as a matter of interest although the screen shows PDC malfunction have you tried to see if it brings up the vehicle display when you put it in reverse.

I am thinking along the lines of although it shows the PDC message along bottom of screen it could be that with fitting the new part your software me need to be updated or the message cleared by a BMW dealer.
Just a thought !
Mabye some of our more knowledgeable friends here can help . Rudy perhaps???

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mak
If it helps you at all. When i put it in reverse, the screen comes up but it dosent display anything or beep. It just shows the car. Then the PDC button starts flashing green. In the check control messages menu, it says PDC malfunction! Before I put the part it, the car with radar screen didnt even show up. I am getting somewhere but im stuck here. Thanks for you help Mak
Mike
Old 11-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mk23169' post='536685' date='Feb 27 2008, 08:15 AM
If it helps you at all. When i put it in reverse, the screen comes up but it dosent display anything or beep. It just shows the car. Then the PDC button starts flashing green. In the check control messages menu, it says PDC malfunction! Before I put the part it, the car with radar screen didnt even show up. I am getting somewhere but im stuck here. Thanks for you help Mak
Mike
As of today, i am having the exact same problem... Did anyone ever find the solution to this problem?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my PDC sensor fail (rear) first week I had the car, same message (PDC malfuction). I took it to the dealer, they said the whole relay had to replaced because the system was fried. It was summer and no rain for a weeks. I hope thats not the case with your car, good luck.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sluggoslinger' post='729238' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:23 PM
As of today, i am having the exact same problem... Did anyone ever find the solution to this problem?
Same for me on E61 (tourer). This message came up today on my screen. Car picture still appears as normal but pdc light flashes green and there's no sensing or sounds when you approach anything. Module likely to be ok if these things are happening I guess, so perhaps a sensor blown? - We have had severe recent snow and ice in UK.

Would appreciate any help / conclusions on this.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Members

guys, i had the same problem but not quite the same.

I have had a headlight retrofit, n there was nothing to do with the sensor etc. but once it was done, the PDC failed to work. but after 10 mins? it came back on. Since then, the PDC will fail to work occasssionally but as time goes by, the period of time for each time the pdc fails to work gets shorter. It has been more than a week, PDC has not failed to work as far as im concerned in these 2-3 days.

interestingly, i took it to the dealer, n they had a check n said that my pdc sensor at the front ( the middle 2) r broken, but i think they r working fine? so i didnt bother to check. anyone knws whats wrong? could it be the weather as it was cold n after the day of my headlight retrofit weather has also got better n warmer, so the the freezed PDC has been melted...?

if anyone knows why...please tell me!! THANKS!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Members

Hi,

This will sound daft, but Ive had this issue a couple of times and it has been a blown reverse light bulb (or very browned) Its done it again today, usually I get a bulb failure message around the same time, but the bulb is working but has the brown appearance (on its way out!) replaced it and all is good. Might just be my motor but, worth swapping for 30p.

cheers.

Eric.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 AM
New Members

I, too, had the ice melting causing a puddle in my trunk problem. 2010 550i e60

I opened up the spare storage area, and EVERYTHING was floating in water. I dried everything out, put it all back, and my MDP & PDC worked for the rest of the day.

The next day my PDC stopped working. I found this thread and decided that the PDC module (which was floating in actual water) needed to be replaced.

I bought a new one from BMW of South Atlanta here: http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...209145158.html

I installed it, and still had the PDC error. PDC system comes up, light blinks, and then a message on the iDrive "No message recieved from PDC. Take it your BMW dealer".

I disonnected the battery negative terminal overnight (12+hrs) and although everything reset, I still have the PDC failure.

I checked fuse #69 (5amp) and it's not blown

The thread refers to a "relay"? Water damage could easily cause a short and thus could have easily burned the relay. However, I don't see anything here, or anywhere else, really, regarding where this relay is. Maybe someone can help me there?

Is it possible that the faulty/water damaged PDC module "fried" one or all of the sensors as well? I haven't done the "buzz" test yet, as I would have assumed the part floating in water was the problem, not the sensors.

This is the 3rd major problem I've had in my e60 trunk. I had the "arc" on both of my taillights that forced me to have the harnesses replaced. It's like the BMW engineers just stopped after the back window, and left the trunk to "figure itself out". The design is terrible.

I'm really hoping someone can help me. I think I could handle replacing the relay, but if it's a sensor, then I will have it fixed when I get my new bumper installed.

Quick Reply: HELP! PDC Malfunction!