E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide plz: RWD or AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planing to order the 535i model, but i'm not sure if i should get a regular version or All wheel drive version.

Please help me decide.

In which cases poople usually buy AWD?

P.S.
i like more soft/luxurious suspension, not sporty.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Hard to respond because you do not indicate anything about your location, which is a crucial part of the equation.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Kuat' post='510645' date='Dec 26 2007, 07:11 AM
I'm planing to order the 535i model, but i'm not sure if i should get a regular version or All wheel drive version.

Please help me decide.

In which cases poople usually buy AWD?

P.S.
i like more soft/luxurious suspension, not sporty.
The only real benefit of AWD is in acceleration traction on slippery surfaces. But, in bad conditions, winter tires are still needed for the best traction.

But more information is needed whether to advise you to get it. Do you live up north? How often do you get snow or icey roads? Do you have other vehicles to drive in winter?

Since I have an X3, I didn't need AWD in the 5er. I went for the 550i which doesn't have it anyways.
Overall, I like the way my X3 drives and handles but as rare as I drive in bad weather, AWD is not really needed but as a 2nd vehicle and for utility I went for it because of the AWD.

Some other pluses/minuses:
XDrive is good in preserving a BMW rear drive like feeling but it isn't quite the same. An average driver won't notice the difference but a "purist" will and says XDrive detracts from the BMW experience.
XDrive should add to the stability/confidence when driving in the wet.
XDrive would be a benefit if you frequent dirt/gravel roads but DON'T consider it off road capable.
XDrive does cause a weight and MPG penalty. Expect a couple less miles per gallon.
xi models don't offer a full sport suspension, but it sounds like you don't want that.
Xdrive adds about $2000 to the cost.

Back to your question. I would drive them back to back to see which you prefer and decide if its worth the money (and loss of MPG) for the times you would need it.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Members

Thanks for the info Rihard.

I have a 2006, 525xi right now.
We dont get much snow where i live (maybe just a few weeks per year)

xDrive makes me feel more comfortable when entering steep turns.
Also, it makes me feel more comfortable on wet roads, esp. highways.
So basically, I went with xDrive on my first car because I though it gave me an overall superior handling/stability (never tried the RWD though).

What I don't like about it is the high fuel consumption.

So for my new 2008 car I need to make a choice Awd or Rwd.

Does xDrive give much advantage at high-speed handling in regular conditions? Becuase 535 is gonna be a powerfull car and i'll tempted to race a lot
Old 12-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

I have had both AWD and RWD BMWs. I live in the northeast, where AWD is all the rage, almost all BMWs go out the door with it. I pesonnally will not get another AWD BMW the way they are configured today. The cars are not the same in the way they handle ride or look. One is a sport sedan, the other is a truck with a sedan body. To me, there is all downsides to AWD except one...starting out on a steep hill covered with ice. Those occaisions (less that 1% for me, even here) are certainly not worth all the penalties. Drive them back to back if you can. RWD is the way to go.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

AWD is only worth while if you have to go out in the white stuff with your BMW. I've lived in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic and I have managed fine with RWD BMWs. My only AWD BMW was an X5 that did very well in the snow but it was not needed in the mid-Atlantic region. RWD is better handling, more fuel efficient, and perfect for the 98% of the road conditions in the areas that I have lived. BTW, AWD won't do anything for high speed handling but it will let you wear your tires out faster.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In my opinion, RWD is the only way to go -- even in areas where it can snow (maybe not places where it snows a ton).

Also, I don't think an AWD car handles better than a RWD car...
Old 12-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='510660' date='Dec 26 2007, 09:14 AM
Hard to respond because you do not indicate anything about your location, which is a crucial part of the equation.
As jspira said, difficult to answer with no info, like:
location?
winters?
daily driver?
commute distance?
Imho...all-season tires :thumbsdown: get 4 snows regardless if you live where it snows which i'm assuming you do; the car's rwd or awd are so much better in inclement weather with the right tires. I have used 4 snows on RWD cars for a long time with no issues; although some people feel more comfortable, safer with AWD.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='510688' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:27 AM
BTW, AWD won't do anything for high speed handling but it will let you wear your tires out faster.
oh wow.. didnt know that.

i talked to my friend today, that this is what he said about 4WD:

"My parents have a Subaru Legacy 3.0l 6 cyl boxer that I just took on a 1,000km trip around Europe. Absolutely fantastic handling, cornering and high speed stability. No matter what road conditions to toss at it, the 4 points stick to the road like mad. 4WD is the reason why I would seriously consider the RS4."
Old 12-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Heelsonwheels' post='510694' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:42 AM
As jspira said, difficult to answer with no info, like:
location?
winters?
daily driver?
commute distance?
Imho...all-season tires :thumbsdown: get 4 snows regardless if you live where it snows which i'm assuming you do; the car's rwd or awd are so much better in inclement weather with the right tires. I have used 4 snows on RWD cars for a long time with no issues; although some people feel more comfortable, safer with AWD.
location = South eastern europe.

winters = very little snow here (2-3 weeks per year)

daily driver = yes. it's a main car.

commute distance = small city.

I just always though that AWD was better in handling in any weather condition (even on a dry road in summer tieme).
i have never driven RWD cars before. (owned a few FWD cars though)

Quick Reply: Help me decide plz: RWD or AWD?