E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help on Coolant question?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What coolant do you reccomend? The dealer told me it's blue in color.. Any ideas?!?!?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1083018' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:01 AM
What coolant do you reccomend? The dealer told me it's blue in color.. Any ideas?!?!?
Are you topping off or flushing ? If topping off, I'd stick with BMW spec coolant - many dealer parts departments will give you a discount. Buying mail-order or on line the S&H charges will often negate any savings.

If flushing and refilling I'd go for the BMW branded product from a BMW dealer's parts department OR a premium product that exactly matches BMW's specification. The color is intended to differentiate the chemical composition, and coded with a dye, because now there are 2-3 varieties. I don't personally remember the difference but the spec is the important part to help reduce corrosion and prevent harm to components that it comes in contact with.

Since the price difference between a gallon from a BMW parts department and anyname brand is probably less than $5 ... I'd stick with the real juice! You'll only need about one gallon for a complete flush anyway ... One additional point .. I recommend that only distilled water be used in your cooling system. I buy mine for less than $1 at a local supermarket. Way too many chemicals added to (tap) drinking water these days. Remember, NOT SPRING WATER ... Distilled.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1083032' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:51 AM
Are you topping off or flushing ? If topping off, I'd stick with BMW spec coolant - many dealer parts departments will give you a discount. Buying mail-order or on line the S&H charges will often negate any savings.

If flushing and refilling I'd go for the BMW branded product from a BMW dealer's parts department OR a premium product that exactly matches BMW's specification. The color is intended to differentiate the chemical composition, and coded with a dye, because now there are 2-3 varieties. I don't personally remember the difference but the spec is the important part to help reduce corrosion and prevent harm to components that it comes in contact with.

Since the price difference between a gallon from a BMW parts department and anyname brand is probably less than $5 ... I'd stick with the real juice! You'll only need about one gallon for a complete flush anyway ... One additional point .. I recommend that only distilled water be used in your cooling system. I buy mine for less than $1 at a local supermarket. Way too many chemicals added to (tap) drinking water these days. Remember, NOT SPRING WATER ... Distilled.
great thanks for the info.. Very informative... Heading to the dealer now.. I'm actually topping off now then I think I will do a flush when I change my faulty thermostat.. My car is giving me a low coolant MSG frequently so I can't wait..
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1083033' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:05 AM
great thanks for the info.. Very informative... Heading to the dealer now.. I'm actually topping off now then I think I will do a flush when I change my faulty thermostat.. My car is giving me a low coolant MSG frequently so I can't wait..
Don't forget to tell your BMW Part's Dept Manager about the Forum ... and Business that offer discounts - Maybe they will give you a late holiday present!!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Members

I think that was good advice. It just makes sense. Add same to same, when topping off.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1083032' date='Jan 2 2010, 04:51 PM
Remember, NOT SPRING WATER ... Distilled.

On the other hand, topping up with carbonated spring water might restore the cars sparkling performance.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1083032' date='Jan 2 2010, 07:51 AM

+1
I use the distilled water for windshield washer fluid as well ( to reduce water spots ).
Old 01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='1083447' date='Jan 3 2010, 12:05 PM
On the other hand, topping up with carbonated spring water might restore the cars sparkling performance.