E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! CA Smog & Valve Stem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! CA Smog & Valve Stem

2006 550i, 98,000

I have been told I have a valve guide (or stem) leak. As you know, if you sit and idol, then hit the gas, it smokes out the tail pipe. I have recieved a few quotes for $4,000 to $5,000. (which I don't want to pay, would rather sell).

Question: I live in California and we now have the OBD II smog check. Does anyone know anything about this process / will my car likely fail? If it is going to fail, I will just trade it in and get something else to avoid the $5K in repairs.

Any advice or info would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Garrett4g
2006 550i, 98,000

I have been told I have a valve guide (or stem) leak. As you know, if you sit and idol, then hit the gas, it smokes out the tail pipe. I have recieved a few quotes for $4,000 to $5,000. (which I don't want to pay, would rather sell).

Question: I live in California and we now have the OBD II smog check. Does anyone know anything about this process / will my car likely fail? If it is going to fail, I will just trade it in and get something else to avoid the $5K in repairs.

Any advice or info would be helpful.
Thanks
It's probably a valve stem seal leak. A real PITA. When is your car due for smog? 2 things could happen. If you have no other codes, the technician could either 1) be nice and pass you or 2) be not so nice and fail you on the visual inspection.

Part II of this is similarly related. Generally, you may soon discover the woes of the secondary air system fault. On the V8s, this could be the result of a cracked tube, a faulty blower, faulty check valves, or carbon build up IN THE FREGGIN HEADS. The latter is a real pill, though some shops are working on making this easier to resolve for the masses.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM
New Members

My car is due for smog in April of 2014; going off California's every 2 year smog with registration. I'm trying to plan ahead.

I called a smog shop the other day to find out if they can do a "pre-test" that doesn't get reported to any agencies, car fax, etc. They said they can. Does that seem correct?

Also, they said they are still putting the sensor (sniffer) in the tailpipe. I read that CA eliminated that. So I'm confused on what's actually happening with CA smog checks in 2013. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

Garrett, you might want to PM the OP in this thread to see if the oil catch can might be able to address your issue. https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...p-pics-133703/

As for smog check, they do the rolling dyno, visual, sniffer, check your gas cap's pressure to make sure it's not leaking, and read your obd2 to make sure not stored code. If you have a check engine light on, that's an automatic fail.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Might wanna read this post as well. There seems to be more than one reason for the N62's to start smoking.

SOLVED - Engine Failsafe after Valve Cover Seal Replacement for Blue Smoke - Xoutpost.com
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcb5
Might wanna read this post as well. There seems to be more than one reason for the N62's to start smoking.

SOLVED - Engine Failsafe after Valve Cover Seal Replacement for Blue Smoke - Xoutpost.com

Wow, this is eye opening! The diagnosis for this possible problem was to look through the throttle body and look for signs of wetness or oil inside the intake manifold. Well, I took a picture, what do you think? Are those oil deposits in there?