E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP: 550 very rough idle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 E60 550i

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
Cinder, Mine is an annoying vibration in the steering wheel at idle, minor idle fluctuation and stumbling.

I was waiting until i could pull the numbers off the valvetronic parts before i started putting her back together. I finally found where they are so i can start putting her back. Should be 2-3 weeks because i am taking my time and its a big job too.

As soon as i have her back on the road i will know if the 4 new Vanos units made any difference. I pulled apart the intake vanos and it seemed to be in very good condition. But that is on the valveronic side and it doesn't see near the cycling that the exhaust sees since that is always full duration. In other words, i am expecting to see more wear on the exhaust side.
I believe it's the same problem with most N62 engines. I also have some light vibration at idle sometimes, usually more noticeable when cold. Less noticeable when when the A/C is off and RPMs are around 500, but when I have the A/C off, rpms sometimes drop a bit below 500 when coming to a stop, which causes another kind of annoying vibration. Haven't figured that one out either

I'll be tracking your progress to see if you have any success, I'm sure a lot of people would be grateful if you find the cause. I haven't been able to, so far
Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
Hi Jim, thanks for your input. All of the standard "consumable" items have been serviced and/or replaced. This is not your typical issue. People are starting to report this a little more, BMW is raising the idle to "fix" it. I want to find out what the actual fix is so I'm going in deep!

I have had this engine torn down to bits and pieces several times learning as i do this as a small side business too. The E60 and like are just starting to come into the indy shop rotation out of warranty now. they all have a cycle.

So...new Vanos units are fitted, just need to find a 30mm wrench and put her back together. Will have some results. If the new Vanos units don't fix the idle vibration, then i will be replacing all of the valvetronic components next round. This vibration is that annoying.

There has to be a clear cause of this, we will see.
Aw, well best of luck in finding the root cause of this issue. I was hoping it would be a cheap(er) fix in the end, but I guess I should know better considering the type of car we're dealing with. Wishful thinking, I guess. When you do finally figure it out, I suppose that'll be another gray cloud over the collective N62 owners' heads.