E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP: 550 very rough idle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009.5 E60 550i MSport 2011 E90 ///M3 ZCP

Originally Posted by Jim165
Yeah, I think your car is fine, personally...I mean judging by the video and what you've mentioned in this thread. I kinda thought something was wrong when i bought my car with 33K miles...it ran exactly like it does now, just a hint of roughness at idle, especially with the A/C off. It still pulls like a freight train and I can't expect it to idle like a Lexus...I think that's just the way these cars are. The sluggishness from a stop to a roll is a common complaint...the crappy throttle response from the drive by wire. The plugs are supposed to be good for 100K, but i plan on changing them at 80K.
Now, if your car is vibrating really badly, like you can actually SEE the steering wheel vibrate or it's stuttering or stalling, then you have a problem....
I do see the steering wheel vibrate slightly.

Just checked in with /// Motorcepts, looks like the harmonic balancer
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by advans
I do see the steering wheel vibrate slightly.

Just checked in with /// Motorcepts, looks like the harmonic balancer
Wow, keep us posted on that, man! Strange....
Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009.5 E60 550i MSport 2011 E90 ///M3 ZCP

yeah, I'm dropping by Motorcepts this Saturday. I wonder whats going on.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport
Default Working On This

Hi Guys, I myself have had this issue since i bought my 550i with 133k. Car was well taken care of, garage kept, dealer maintained, corporate owned.

Background : I have ISTA/X systems and have programmed and reprogrammed the heck out of the car using INPA to back out changes, etc. I have done a bit of preventative maintenance on the car including Mechatronic, trans maintenance, valve covers, alternator bracket gasket, ccv's.

Nothing has solved the idle vibration issue. I do not want to increase the idle because that isnt a "fix", its a band aid. I decided to take on some serious testing.

Currently : I am replacing 4 Vanos units to see if there is any change in operation. Also replacing the motor mounts because its much easier disassembled.

Next: In my heart i honestly believe this is Valvetronic related. The wear issues reported. Unfortunately, to replace the eccentric shafts, rockers & intermediate shafts costs around $2500 in parts alone DIY. BMW states it is the only full fix for improper and unmatched cylinder filling. Replacing the intermediate levers alone is only a temporary fix, and symptoms will return. If the first step doesn't solve my issues i will be performing this fix at some point.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 AM
New Members

I started experiencing rough idle too and it got so bad my car would turn off when I came to a stop. I took it to an indy and he said I needed a new intake manifold runner valve and crankcase vent valve.

I replaced the intake manifold valve myself (super easy DIY and it was totally broken!) and I also cleaned the ICV. Now the car doesn't turn off anymore but I still have a rough idle. I've noticed its worse when its cold and smoother after I use chevron fuel system cleaner.

I still need to replace the crankcase vent valve but now I'm thinking about replacing my fuel filter too....
Old 03-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 E60 550i

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
Currently : I am replacing 4 Vanos units to see if there is any change in operation. Also replacing the motor mounts because its much easier disassembled.
I'm in the same boat as you. Mine is '06 550i with 57k miles, so far I have changed plugs, coils, injectors and the 4 VANOS solenoids. Hasn't helped a bit for the rough idle. Mine is not that bad to be honest, but it is annoying me. I also have slight vibrations at around 1,000rpm and 1,500-1,600 rpm, which feel the same as the idle vibrations. I'm pretty sure they're caused by the same thing, whatever it is ...

I have looked at a few other 550 and 750 cars, they all have that problem with the idle and vibration at some rpm range (usually different on most, but below always 3,000rpm).

I would be curious to know if you notice any difference on yours.

Last edited by Cinder; 03-18-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Members

Cinder, Mine is an annoying vibration in the steering wheel at idle, minor idle fluctuation and stumbling.

I was waiting until i could pull the numbers off the valvetronic parts before i started putting her back together. I finally found where they are so i can start putting her back. Should be 2-3 weeks because i am taking my time and its a big job too.

As soon as i have her back on the road i will know if the 4 new Vanos units made any difference. I pulled apart the intake vanos and it seemed to be in very good condition. But that is on the valveronic side and it doesn't see near the cycling that the exhaust sees since that is always full duration. In other words, i am expecting to see more wear on the exhaust side.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dishoom
I've been meaning to clean the MAF to see if it helps, but haven't gotten around to it.
I'm just throwing this out there, but Dishoom mentioned this and I found this thread...
Results of Cleaning Mass Airflow Sensor

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...nction-106090/
Do you think it's a bad MAF sensor or maybe the sensor is dirty? Just trying to assist...

Last edited by Jim165; 03-18-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Members

Hi Jim, thanks for your input. All of the standard "consumable" items have been serviced and/or replaced. This is not your typical issue. People are starting to report this a little more, BMW is raising the idle to "fix" it. I want to find out what the actual fix is so I'm going in deep!

I have had this engine torn down to bits and pieces several times learning as i do this as a small side business too. The E60 and like are just starting to come into the indy shop rotation out of warranty now. they all have a cycle.

So...new Vanos units are fitted, just need to find a 30mm wrench and put her back together. Will have some results. If the new Vanos units don't fix the idle vibration, then i will be replacing all of the valvetronic components next round. This vibration is that annoying.

There has to be a clear cause of this, we will see.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Go to Lowes. They have a 30mm wrench. But it's about $30. lol. I picked one up around 6 months ago. here it is:
Shop Kobalt 30mm Combination Wrench at Lowes.com

Quick Reply: HELP: 550 very rough idle.