E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help - 535d big turbo gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mambo' post='1078265' date='Dec 22 2009, 05:06 PM
Did the hose swap fix the issue? I've been having a similar problem recently...
Yep - hooray!

One vacuum hose was completely severed. Will post a picture. It was the one to provide a vacuum to control the turbo wastegate.

Most of the turbo control hoses had had it - the other vacuum hoses around the engine seem fine (not so near the heat I guess).

Car drives smoother now - I think there was a general loss of vacuum so the various actuators weren't quite doing what they were supposed to.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool,nice to see a fellow member manage to sort his car out with the help of other's on this awesome forum without paying out a huge amount of cash!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sanj' post='1078337' date='Dec 22 2009, 06:43 PM
Cool,nice to see a fellow member manage to sort his car out with the help of other's on this awesome forum without paying out a huge amount of cash!
Technically the fix was ?2.90. The silicone hose was ?1.26 a metre and I needed about 2 metres of it. However I actually replaced all the hoses and bought plenty so I didn't run out, so it cost about ?17 including VAT and delivery.

The job took quite a while. The old hoses were difficult to get off and I didn't want to break any nipples/fixings/clips in the cold today. To do it all properly the intake manifold had to come off and so did the airfilter enclosure. Took about 4 hours all in.

Here's the offending hose, circled in red - it shouldn't end here. In green are some other vacuum hoses that were in poor shape. (Photo taken with the acoustic cover removed.)

And here's the finished article. Note that the original hoses are colour coded so I used the correct colours.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Nicely done, bet you were swearing trying to do it in the cold.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d, M Sport,Carbon Black, DMS remap, 166 Gloss Black alloys with 12mm H&R spacers rear.

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='1078354' date='Dec 22 2009, 07:08 PM
Technically the fix was ?2.90. The silicone hose was ?1.26 a metre and I needed about 2 metres of it. However I actually replaced all the hoses and bought plenty so I didn't run out, so it cost about ?17 including VAT and delivery.

The job took quite a while. The old hoses were difficult to get off and I didn't want to break any nipples/fixings/clips in the cold today. To do it all properly the intake manifold had to come off and so did the airfilter enclosure. Took about 4 hours all in.

Here's the offending hose, circled in red - it shouldn't end here. In green are some other vacuum hoses that were in poor shape. (Photo taken with the acoustic cover removed.)

And here's the finished article. Note that the original hoses are colour coded so I used the correct colours.

Excellent news on the fix, thought it sounded like vacum hoses. Once again the people of the forum unite!!!! Merry Xmas to all!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Bluetooth, Bi-xenon headlamps, adaptive headlamps, auto dimming interior mirror, heated folding door mirrors, electric front seats with drivers memory, heated front seats, extended light package, sun protection glass, electrically adjustable steering column, automatic air conditioning.

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='1078274' date='Dec 22 2009, 05:23 PM
Yep - hooray!

One vacuum hose was completely severed. Will post a picture. It was the one to provide a vacuum to control the turbo wastegate.

Most of the turbo control hoses had had it - the other vacuum hoses around the engine seem fine (not so near the heat I guess).

Car drives smoother now - I think there was a general loss of vacuum so the various actuators weren't quite doing what they were supposed to.
Cool! I'll get mine changed first thing in Jan!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Members

Hi, mine just did this exact same thing new years eve, after mid night which is rather suspicious. Car is 2 years old, 38k miles. What was the problem in the end. I find it odd this happened a few days after I had it serviced, and the lights to the gear box went out which the garage said was unrtelated to the service and a new wire is needed.

Not very happy, luckily it's still under warranty but I am not overly happy (especially after the poor performance in the snow where I had to abandon the car and walk home with a baby when others were driving round me !).

Thanks,

Jason.

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='1075818' date='Dec 18 2009, 08:53 AM
Got the codes read:

4242 Glow Plug Cylinder 4
4262 Glow Plug Cylinder 6
428B Boost Control, different charge pressure, too high

Don't think the glow plug codes are relevant (and the car starts fine).

Looks like the vacuum hoses for the turbo actuators are still the prime supect.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Bluetooth, Bi-xenon headlamps, adaptive headlamps, auto dimming interior mirror, heated folding door mirrors, electric front seats with drivers memory, heated front seats, extended light package, sun protection glass, electrically adjustable steering column, automatic air conditioning.

Originally Posted by GoMad' post='1083833' date='Jan 4 2010, 09:20 AM
Hi, mine just did this exact same thing new years eve, after mid night which is rather suspicious. Car is 2 years old, 38k miles. What was the problem in the end. I find it odd this happened a few days after I had it serviced, and the lights to the gear box went out which the garage said was unrtelated to the service and a new wire is needed.

Not very happy, luckily it's still under warranty but I am not overly happy (especially after the poor performance in the snow where I had to abandon the car and walk home with a baby when others were driving round me !).

Thanks,

Jason.
Mine is booked in on Friday - will let you know what the diagnosis is....
Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mambo' post='1083842' date='Jan 4 2010, 06:35 AM
Mine is booked in on Friday - will let you know what the diagnosis is....

Yes please do, mine is booked in for the 19th Jan, it's our only car and drives like a lame tank. Dealership has no spare cars till Jan 19th when it is booked in for another faulty warranty part. Car is 2.5 years old and I have just finished writing a rather angry letter - I am not happy they have told my wife and daughter to go off in a car with engine issues and they could not even take the time to check the fault codes. I am pretty angry as this is not what you pay for when buying a BMW - or is it !? It might be nice and quick, but I am not happy about the reliability I have had.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Members

Just noted, you seem to have remapped yours. Does it make a huge difference and does this affect the warranty / insurance / fuel consumption at all / much ?

Was thinking of doing the same but concerned about ramifications, especially after this latest hicup.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help - 535d big turbo gone?