E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hellllpp please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hellllpp please!!!!!

guys I was about to move my car from the sidewalk to my driveway when all of a sudden ------ Dead, nothing. I have a 2006 550I, as I pushed the fob into the ignition, I pressed the push start button and it ignited the gauges and Idrive for like a second but then went all black, no power no nothing and the key fob is actually stuck in the ignition, I cant take it out. Please if anyone knows what this is, please let me know, I would appreciate it a lot guys.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docsilva
guys I was about to move my car from the sidewalk to my driveway when all of a sudden ------ Dead, nothing. I have a 2006 550I, as I pushed the fob into the ignition, I pressed the push start button and it ignited the gauges and Idrive for like a second but then went all black, no power no nothing and the key fob is actually stuck in the ignition, I cant take it out. Please if anyone knows what this is, please let me know, I would appreciate it a lot guys.
Disconnect battery then connect

Check battery and trickle charge if needed
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 PM
New Members

thank you for your quick response, I will try that, thank you again.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also make sure you are fully in park. Press the brake pedal and move the shifter to make sure it is locked into park.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

If you have a voltmeter, check the battery voltage. Lights/car stereo left on prior to this incident?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 AM
New Members

There was nothing left on, however this morning when i opened the driver door the light came on as the chime from leaving the key in the ignition, so it restored power overnight, was able to remove the Key because of power being restored like i said but not enough to power the vehicle, i tried again and same thing happened, im assuming it is the battery right? What do you guys think?

Last edited by docsilva; 05-21-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docsilva
There was nothing left on, however this morning when i opened the driver door the light came on as the chime from leaving the key in the ignition, so it restored power overnight, was able to remove the Key because of power being restored like i said but not enough to power the vehicle, i tried again and same thing happened, im assuming it is the battery right? What do you guys think?
Yes, the battery. Once you find out is the battery then you need to ask why. Age, alternator not right, something running the battery down after car turned off or infrequent use or habit of short trips?

If you can't measure the voltage yourself (cheap multimeter) then jump it and drive it for an hour on the highway at speed (101/202/17/51 your choice) to charge the battery. Then take it to an auto store to get tested.

I wouldn't advise going near Chapman BMW or North Scottsdale BMW as they will hose you pretty good for a battery.

The problem with modern cars is you get no warning the battery is ready to die. Old cars had big engines, high viscosity oil, carburetors and inefficient starters and took a lot of cranking before the engine would start. When your cranking speed started to get slow you knew you had better look at your battery.

Today with fuel injection, synthetic oil and efficient starters you barely turn the key (or push the starter button) and it starts. And it will continue to start until the battery is almost dead flat. That is why BMW came up with their fancy battery charging system to monitor battery health.

Lots of info on this forum about after market battery choices, decision to register battery or not, and if you do decide to register where to go to get it done cheaply.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM
New Members

Thank you for your response and detail, im just going crazy at work thinking about the issue, looking for the battery now and figuring out how much the registering on the battery would run aside from the battery being expensive, ive heard so many stories about aftermarket batteries and registering or not registering batteries and what the affects are.

Last edited by docsilva; 05-21-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how old is your battery?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:56 PM
New Members

Umm guys, I just got home and realized my positive cable was loose.........so......yea. Problem solved, beast mode is back on, no warning lights no nothing, just the way it was. I didnt check it last night because it was late and I was taking care of my son, so yea thats pretty much it. I just want to thank each and everyone of you that responded to my post, you guys are awesome people for helping me narrowing down to what the possibilities of what mightve been the issue. Once again, thank you guys.