E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heel-and-toe

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005 | 04:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

can someone explain how heel-toe technique works?
Old 12-07-2005 | 04:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

heel-toe gives the driver better control since the balance of the car won't be upset during downshifting. Now while I am in no position to comment on how the technique can be beneficial to the car otherwise, I can comment on how its done.

basically your right foot is onthe brake and left foot on clutch when braking. Hence your two feet are busy and you cannot blip the throttle to rev match when downshifting. To solve this problem, your right foot would have to balance both the gas and brake pedals. To accomplish this:

1) depress brake pedal
2)depress clutch pedal
3)Simultaneously, BLIP throttle to rev match with right edge of right foot with the big tow still on the brake pedal and braking AND downshifting to a lower gear. This means right foot on both brake and throttle pedals.
4)release the clutch and you'll feel like a race car driver

Reason I got a manual is to play around with my feet and developing my leg muscles . Another fun thing I like to do with my foot that I just learnt is double clutching which was required in the past when cars had no synchros....procedure goes like this: Clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip throttle, clutch in, select desired lower gear, clutch out.
The ability to double clutch and heel-toe are the only reason why I choose a 6-spd
Old 12-07-2005 | 04:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

It's relevant to manual gears and not automatic.

When you change down a gear (eg. to enter a corner) the engine rpm need to rise to match the new gear for any given speed. If the throttle is not used, additional braking can be felt as the clutch is released, bringing the revs up by the momentum of the car.
In fast driving situations, this can upset the balance of the car, therefore it is ideal to have control of all 3 pedals simultaneously, clutch, brake and accelerator. Because it's not pratical to grow a 3rd leg, it's necessary to use one foot on 2 of the pedals - hence the right foot is used to control both the brake and the accelerator - in practice it tends to be the outside of the foot that does the throttle rather than actual "heel and toe"!

Pedal positions usually need fine tuning to make the most of the technique, not only the width apart but also the relative position height-wise. I'm not sure I'd even bother trying to set the 5 up unless I intended to track it (unlikely with a diesel engine!).

Any of you guys in California - check out the link I posted higher up. I expect one of the Caterham guys would be only too happy to take you for a blast, then you'll understand why I find heel and toe in a big saloon (sedan to you folks stateside!) rather pointless!

Edited to say I really must post faster!!!!
Old 12-07-2005 | 04:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='208262' date='Dec 7 2005, 08:02 AM

It is a simple theory, but very hard to master. Heel-n-toe is primarily done while downshifting. The reason to do it is to rev match the rpms of the car when shifting from a higher gear to a lower gear. If you have ever driven a manual car and downshifted agressively without using any throttle, when you let out the clutch in the lower gear the car jerks while the rpms of the car shoot up right when the clutch releases. This is natural but historically not great for wear and tear on the car plus if in a turn when the gear grabs it can make the car unstable.

So to make downshifting more controllable you can apply throttle to the car while the clutch is engaged with a short stomp on the throttle pedal (called a blip) to make the rpms climb, then simultaneously release the clutch. If done perfectly, the rpms of the car will be the same when the clutch was engaged as when you release the clutch, thus no jerking, just a smooth downshift.

Now to heel-n-toe is a variation of what I just described above. If you try to blip the throttle while downshifting while also braking, you need to use your right foot to brake AND apply throttle at the same time, so you use the toe to brake and the heel to blip, thus heel-n-toe.

Whew, lots of typing, but I hope you now understand. I love to do it but rarely do becuase it is a very hard thing to do, and to do well! You need the right shoes and the right pedal config to allow your foot to move across both pedals with ease and to be effective. I usually downshift before I brake and blip at that point so when I brake I am already in the gear I want to be in. Many times I dont blip the throttle at all upon a downshift and ease out the clutch to keep the car in control.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2005 | 05:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

ok thx guys , triple explanation . And I won't be using it in the e60 (steptronic), but i'll maybe give it a try in the e36
Old 12-07-2005 | 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='208262' date='Dec 7 2005, 05:02 AM

here you go read this instead! One of best I've read...

http://www.318ti.org/notebook/shifting/index.html
Old 12-07-2005 | 08:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='208529

[/quote]
thanks for the info...good read indeed!!
Old 12-07-2005 | 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='208590
Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='208262' date='Dec 7 2005, 05:02 AM

thanks for the info...good read indeed!!
[/quote]

You going to try the excercises?
Old 12-08-2005 | 02:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kadonny' post='207895' date='Dec 6 2005, 06:47 AM
Repeat after me:

SMG, SMG, SMG, SMG
Heel-and-toe actually helps even on an SMG -- used to do it on my M3.