E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heating and Ventilating

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='770706' date='Jan 18 2009, 09:26 AM
I understand but again, on my car (and on my old E60), I rarely need to use the windshield defroster. When I do, I don't need it on for very long so in short time, I switch it back to auto and everything continues to work perfectly. If you're using the defroster to melt ice and snow maybe you should use a windshield scraper on it first? (Not trying to be a wise guy -- I just don't know why you're experiences are so different than mine...)
I generally try not to scrape my glass will use a brush but not a scraper.

I don't think we are that different. The I Drive is not perfect which is why they have made so many changes and they are coming out with generation II.
People want to be able to control functions like radio and HVAC directly the I-Drive II gives you the ability to fine tune these functions. It should be the best of both worlds.

The E61 is a great car and the new model should even be better.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

For the most part, I use auto settings. I do dislike having to use iDrive to adjust the center vent temp, liking the manual wheel in any other BMW, but the '08 is better with the short cut buttons (3 center buttons of the HVAC controls). In the spring and fall, I have to switch it to 4 red bars in the morning and 4 blue in the warm afternoons. Now in the winter I keep it 2-4 red bars all the time. I don't have a problem using the defrost button briefly and don't notice cool floor air but garaged but in the south I rarely have to clear snow/ice/frost off the windows. You can use the shortcut buttons to adjust the airflow if you want. I rarely do.
I do use the heated seats and wheel to quickly get warm each morning but the car warms up in a few minutes anyways.

PS: It does seem the left shortcut button can cycle thru default and custom settings but I haven't fully figured it out.
PPS: The rear vent temp wheel should allow the back to be different from the front.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='760687' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:04 PM
Just follow these instructions and you'll have it working in no time flat:

Attachment 68540
Wow, tried to show the formula to calculate RMS voltage
Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Contributors

i can get my car comfortable, but i have no clue what i am doing... is it just my car, or is there actual temp knobs. i have looked at the idrive like once when messing with the temp... i just adjust the temp and how hard the air blows from the knobs on the dash...
Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by V70Cat' post='770739' date='Jan 18 2009, 04:23 PM
I generally try not to scrape my glass will use a brush but not a scraper.
Uh, why? plastic scrapers are softer than the windshield, ergo they do not scratch as long as your windscreen is relatively clean. Avoid scraping outside the normal swept area and you'll be fine. I cannot recall ever making any visible scratch on any windscreen and I have driven cars wintertime in the muck and dirt for 15 years daily.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

The Auto / Auto modes work just fine for me too. Also, I use a BMW Car Cover daily and I don't get any ice/frost on the windows once taken off... Heat up the seat and steering wheel and in just a few mins it's nice and toasty. -- then it'll be 70F outside later in the day and it cools just fine as well.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Members

In other posts I mentioned that my 07 525xi had little or no heat. The dealer replaced the thremostat and a water inlet and it had heat, just not where you wanted it. It seemed to always come out of the winshield vents and then move to the center vents, but never the floor. I left the car at the dealer one cold night last week and went back to take a service tech for a ride the next morning. After 15 minutes he said something was wrong. They ordered a new control module and told me yesterday that they were programing the 14 air doors. I hope this helps because I am about ready to give up on this car.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

now this has always been very confusing 4 me.... If i can set the temperature for driver and passenger and have the car do its thing using the auto button, then what do the 'individual' buttons do?
Old 01-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Saphire Black, Tan Interior, Premium Package, Sirius - No Mods - YET

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='770472' date='Jan 17 2009, 06:54 PM
Quieter too!
Well I guess that asking for something simple out of a German engineer would be pretty difficult to accomplish. My wife hates the system, since it is not intuitive. You have to read the manual and setup things like you want it. I would think that if you want hot air out of the center vents instead of the floor you should just be able to point the dial to face, temp to hot and get the air directed and the temperature set in the way that a 10,000 dollar rental car would do. But I guess then the German engineer could not justify his salary. Therefore, let's make it complicated.

Sorry, I had to vent since I had to listen to the wife rant about it today.....
Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Titanium Silver, All Weather, XM (Aftermarket)

I must be alone here, but I actually like the flexibility provided by the heating system and iDrive. It takes some amount of use to understand it thoroughly, but after driving my wife's last two cars (Volvo wagon and Merc GL) I really prefer the range of temperatures and air speeds in the BMW with iDrive. I spend an hour each way in my car in the morning and evening in the mid-Atlantic, and it can get into the 10's temp-wise...I crank up the heat on my feet, cool the air a bit on my face and reduce the air speed on the dash and defroster vents --where else are you going to be able to do that? I know it has its drawbacks but I have learned to really appreciate it over 115,000 miles...'06 525i...

All the best!

Mark