E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Steering Wheel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Ok, yes I'm a newbe here, and also new to BMWs. I just picked up my first one the other day... a 2005 530I and I fear that this will not be my last! I just can't get enough of this beauty!

Anyway, for some reason I can't seem to get the steering wheel heater to work. When I press the button for it, the little orange light comes on for about 10 secs then shuts off by itself and the wheel certainly does not seem to heat up at all.

The manual is no help... "press the button to turn it on...".

So before I go to the dealer or something, I thought I would ask here first. Maybe there's some wierd "precondition" that is required first? The first thing I checked was the fuse, and it appears ok and the horn works (same fuse).

If I have a problem, is it likely the steering wheel itself and is it difficult to change out if I can find another on EBay?

Thanks all for your help and advice. It's not a huge deal, but it's the ONLY thing on the car that doesn't appear to be working correctly and I'm wondring if it's just something I'm doing or not doing right.

D....
Old 10-31-2008, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

Sounds like a job for the dealer. Seems like you've checked everything obvious so I can only assume it's a deeper issue......
Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

to the forum...I'm sure you'll enjoy it here..

It is the original steering wheel isn't it?... cos your right all you do is press the button and the orange light comes on, but should stay on... Probably Dealer time...
Old 10-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

If you Wheel is a M it does not have Heater. Only Standard and Sport.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

There's either a software fault or a thermostat fault on your wheel heater. Either way a dealer visit it needed.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Members

Ok, I took a closer look at it today. I removed the airbag and checked the wires for the heater, the element is not open/broken so the steering wheel itself should be ok. Looks like the problem is somewhere in the control system between the switch and the steering wheel.

Anyway, in the process, since I disconnected the airbag, I now have the "driver airbag fault" alarm. I tried searching and it appears the only way to reset this is with the dealer's programming tool. Right?

Let me know if I'm wrong.... I guess I'll have to make an appt. to see the dealer next week to reset the alarm and maybe diagnose what's wrong with the steering wheel heater.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by dcaranci' post='708516' date='Oct 31 2008, 02:42 PM
Hi,

Ok, yes I'm a newbe here, and also new to BMWs. I just picked up my first one the other day... a 2005 530I and I fear that this will not be my last! I just can't get enough of this beauty!

Anyway, for some reason I can't seem to get the steering wheel heater to work. When I press the button for it, the little orange light comes on for about 10 secs then shuts off by itself and the wheel certainly does not seem to heat up at all.

The manual is no help... "press the button to turn it on...".

So before I go to the dealer or something, I thought I would ask here first. Maybe there's some wierd "precondition" that is required first? The first thing I checked was the fuse, and it appears ok and the horn works (same fuse).

If I have a problem, is it likely the steering wheel itself and is it difficult to change out if I can find another on EBay?

Thanks all for your help and advice. It's not a huge deal, but it's the ONLY thing on the car that doesn't appear to be working correctly and I'm wondring if it's just something I'm doing or not doing right.

D....
1. I had this exact problem over 2 years ago - car was under warranty, dealer solved the problem by installing complete new steering wheel minus the airbag cause the heating element within the steering wheel developed a problem. Never had a problem since.
My educated guess would be start looking for another one on ebay cause heated ones are hard to come by.

2. Disconnect battery before removing airbag ! (as you discovered) you need the dealer to reset the fault.

good luck