E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heated rear window element

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That's clearly the antenna...

Thanks for the pics!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 12 2005, 03:42 PM
That's clearly the antenna...

Thanks for the pics!
[snapback]127770[/snapback]
I guess clearly is a relative term...

Just out of curiosity, it is the first few rows of yellow element that's the antenna, and the rest is the heating element? As I said, I've looked at the configuration of gaps--and pieces that aren't connected to anything--and can't for the life of me figure it out. Just one of those things that'll bug me 'till I understand it!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Interesting find.. man you guys notice everything!

Here's that antenna outlined in black. You can't notice it? It's like where's Waldo. Hehe

Heated rear window element-post_1420_1115929760.jpg
Old 05-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 12 2005, 06:42 PM
Interesting find.. man you guys notice everything!

Here's that antenna outlined in black. You can't notice it? It's like where's Waldo. Hehe?

Attachment 7499
[snapback]127830[/snapback]
I thought so too at first. When you look at the passenger side, it appears that's the antenna, since the gaps keep it from touching the heater element, but when you follow that line left to the drivers side, it turns down and connects with every horizontal line as it goes down the window (see black line in pic below), so if that is the antenna, the reason for the gaps at the top passenger side is unclear to me:
Heated rear window element-driver_black.jpg
Old 05-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not a radio engineer but I know that the concept of a diversity antenna is a relatively simple one -- place multiple isolated antennas in various places with varying orientations and allow a microprocessor to determine which antenna is receiving the best signal and automatically switch to the best one on a continual basis.

In the photo posted by stream above, I think all the lines that have breaks are discrete antennas (not just the black lines that Lomag illustrated.) I think even the short lines that appear to not be connected to anything play an important role in how the connected lines pull in a signal based on their ability to conduct a specific type of radio wave. They might even be utilizing the conductive properties of the heating elements in some way. The science behind this is way more than I can possibly understand with my limited knowledge of all this stuff.

Take a walk in a parking lot and look at the rear windows of most newer cars. I think you'll see similar "random" lines that don't make sense from the standpoint of a heating element or from the standpoint of a conductor of electricity. The key is that they arent used to transfer an electrical current, they are used to transfer an electromagnetic current (or frequency) which I don't think needs physical continuity to transfer the current.

Okay, that's the best I can explain something that I have limited knowledge of. If there are any experts in this field reading this, please help clear things up for us all to learn!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 12 2005, 09:06 PM
I'm not a radio engineer but I know that the concept of a diversity antenna is a relatively simple one -- place multiple isolated antennas in various places with varying orientations and allow a microprocessor to determine which antenna is receiving the best signal and automatically switch to the best one on a continual basis.

In the photo posted by stream above, I think all the lines that have breaks are discrete antennas (not just the black lines that Lomag illustrated.)? I think even the short lines that appear to not be connected to anything play an important role in how the connected lines pull in a signal based on their ability to conduct a specific type of radio wave.? They might even be utilizing the conductive properties of the heating elements in some way.? The science behind this is way more than I can possibly understand with my limited knowledge of all this stuff.

Take a walk in a parking lot and look at the rear windows of most newer cars.? I think you'll see similar "random" lines that don't make sense from the standpoint of a heating element or from the standpoint of a conductor of electricity.? The key is that they arent used to transfer an electrical current, they are used to transfer an electromagnetic current (or frequency) which I don't think needs physical continuity to transfer the current.

Okay, that's the best I can explain something that I have limited knowledge of.? If there are any experts in this field reading this, please help clear things up for us all to learn!
[snapback]127868[/snapback]
Another of life's mysteries...

Another theory is that the small pieces that aren't connected to anything might be there as "placeholders" meaning that they serve no function other than visual (so that there wouldn't be several inch random gaps which would look strange).
Old 05-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Merv,

You need to get out more BMW rear screans have been like this since the E36 was launched way back in 1991 if my memory serves me correctly... though I'm sure someone with an E36 model will rush out and check it
Old 05-14-2005, 03:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 13 2005, 05:06 AM

In the photo posted by stream above, I think all the lines that have breaks are discrete antennas (not just the black lines that Lomag illustrated.)? I think even the short lines that appear to not be connected to anything play an important role in how the connected lines pull in a signal based on their ability to conduct a specific type of radio wave.? They might even be utilizing the conductive properties of the heating elements in some way.? The science behind this is way more than I can possibly understand with my limited knowledge of all this stuff.

Take a walk in a parking lot and look at the rear windows of most newer cars.? I think you'll see similar "random" lines that don't make sense from the standpoint of a heating element or from the standpoint of a conductor of electricity.? The key is that they arent used to transfer an electrical current, they are used to transfer an electromagnetic current (or frequency) which I don't think needs physical continuity to transfer the current.

Okay, that's the best I can explain something that I have limited knowledge of.? If there are any experts in this field reading this, please help clear things up for us all to learn!
SIMPLY PUT FREQUENCY AND WAVELENGH
DIFFERENT LENGTHS OF ELEMENT FOR DIFFERENT FREQUENCIES WITH PARASITIC (UNCONECTED SECTIONS)BEING USED TO GIVE GAIN OF SIGNAL RECEPTION BOTH HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL POLARIZATION ALSO MIGHT BE ACHIEVED BMW RADIO USES MANY RECEPTION AT DIFFERENT FREQUENCY OF THE SAME STATION AND PICKS THE STRONGEST SIGNAL RECIEVED,HENCE DIVERITY. THE BETTER THE MATCH LENGH OF WIRE(TO WAVELENGH)THE BETTER THE RECEPTION...RADIO COMPUTOR MAPS SIGNAL STRENGH FROM TUNED STATION CONSTANTLY AND HUNTS FOR STRONGEST FREQUENCY....A DRAWING OF THE LAYOUT ELECTRICALLY OF THE SCREENS HEATER ELEMENTS MIGHT BE INTERESTING DO THEY USE FRONT AND BACK SCREENS ?WILL LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE MORE BUT MY ENQUIREYS HAVE ALWAYS COME TO A BLANK REGERDING RADIO RECIEVE AND TRANSMIT IN BMW CARS FROM MANUAFACTURES.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by radioham' date='May 14 2005, 04:47 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='May 13 2005, 05:06 AM']I'm not a radio engineer but I know that the concept of a diversity antenna is a relatively simple one -- place multiple isolated antennas in various places with varying orientations and allow a microprocessor to determine which antenna is receiving the best signal and automatically switch to the best one on a continual basis.

SIMPLY PUT FREQUENCY AND WAVELENGH
DIFFERENT LENGTHS OF ELEMENT FOR DIFFERENT FREQUENCIES WITH PARASITIC (UNCONECTED SECTIONS)BEING USED TO GIVE GAIN OF SIGNAL RECEPTION BOTH HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL POLARIZATION ALSO MIGHT BE ACHIEVED BMW RADIO USES MANY RECEPTION AT DIFFERENT FREQUENCY OF THE SAME STATION AND PICKS THE STRONGEST SIGNAL RECIEVED,HENCE DIVERITY. THE BETTER THE MATCH LENGH OF WIRE(TO WAVELENGH)THE BETTER THE RECEPTION...RADIO COMPUTOR MAPS SIGNAL STRENGH FROM TUNED STATION CONSTANTLY AND HUNTS FOR STRONGEST FREQUENCY....A DRAWING OF THE LAYOUT ELECTRICALLY OF THE SCREENS HEATER ELEMENTS MIGHT BE INTERESTING DO THEY USE FRONT AND BACK SCREENS ?WILL LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE MORE BUT MY ENQUIREYS HAVE ALWAYS COME TO A BLANK REGERDING RADIO RECIEVE AND TRANSMIT IN BMW CARS FROM MANUAFACTURES.
[snapback]128362[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah...that's what I meant to say...

Thanks for the insight, radioham!