E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headliner re-covering tip

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I have to do this as I ruined my headline by painting it. What materials you have used and where did you but them? Like fabric and glue
Can you also be more specific about the technic to put it on. I mean what to watch out when doing it.
Your looks good to me on the pics hope it will be same in person
Thx
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

nice work! Be sure to post pics once it's installed. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i 2004

Looks great!

Just ordered some fabric samples with foam backing to do exactly what you just did.
Thanks for sharing and showing me it is even possible. I was starting to have doubts.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 PM
New Members

I wouldn't do it again though...
A lot of work... and also nagging from the control tower.
But if I have to do it again, I think I can do it a lot better.
Hope the adhesive resists to heat as advertised.
I will post more detail at a later time for those who are planning on doing it.

Last edited by mudspike; 05-15-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 AM
New Members

Did you remove the padding under the old fabric all the way to the plastic for the pillars and other parts?

I tried removing the white padding last night and it is very well glued on.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by PatrickB
Did you remove the padding under the old fabric all the way to the plastic for the pillars and other parts?

I need to know also if it is good idea to glue the new fabric on the existing one or you have to remove it. I've seen videos people scraping the old padding off with wire brush. seams time consuming, also i will go will Alcantara, does it need padding also?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by PatrickB

I don't think you have to remove the white padding on pillars.
It may be virtually impossible to remove it. So I simply peeled off old fabric and glued on new fabric.
Those ORIGINAL fabrics used on pillars are non-foam-backed fabric and can be removed with ease.
For the roof liner, you will definitely have to remove the old foam first with steel brush.
What typically fails and make headliner sag is the adhesive between the foam and the fabric, NOT between the foam and the headliner.
Scrapping old adhesive from the head liner after removing the foam might be an option depending on the shape of old adhesive.
For the most part of mine after removing the old foam was very sticky and dirty so I decided to remove old adhesive with adhesive remover.
I got the best result with ACE remover. https://www.premieracehardware.com/p...e%7C12058.html
Brush it on and scrap it with putty knife and small steel brush for recessed area…….. breeze
Maybe you will need about 3 cans to get it all done.
I spent a lot of time getting headliner prepared but it turned out that I over did it.
If you are to use foam backed fabric and brush on quality adhesive like the DAP original contact cement, over doing preparation is not necessary.

I first wrapped pillars with NON stretchable suede fabric, which I tore it apart and re-did with a different fabric, using heat resistant, HIGH TEMP SPRAY adhesive in gold can.
Instruction said, spray it and wait for about 2 min’ until it gets tacky.
I made a few mistakes when I was covering t the FIRST A pillars. Not much fabric consumption and I re-did those.

Mistakes.
If I waited too short, adhesive came out through fabric or left finger print with not much of pressure applied on it.
If any too long like 3 minutes, it didn’t stick to each other. I realized it when I was tearing all the pillar trims to use the other fabric to match the color.
Almost no contact at all on the most parts (
It might have been because I applied not enough pressure to avoid above issue.

So, thought on adhesive.
Because of above reason and discovery, I decided to use the contact cement for the big headliner and pillars.
Since I didn’t have a compressor, the choice was not much but to use the brush on contact cement but I strongly recommend spray-able contact cement.
Reason.
I test glued many times using 1/2 yard of fabric to avoid any mistake.
Permanent adhersion is activated with pressure hence you have to wait at least for 15 min’ until you attach each other to avoid leaving finger print.
Painting the adehesive in a uniform manner is also important to avoid it.
If one area got too much adhesive on it, more chance of leaving finger print.
I have that on mine for 3 area, thankfully mostly at the tip of the rear.
You will need at least 10, 2” wide cheap brushes.

I recommend to do ¼ area first and then the rest ¼ at the rear, now ½ done, and then ½ area at the same time.
2 people are better and 3 people are best for the front area.

Fabric
I first did with Non-stretchable suede and wrapping even A pillar and C pillar(lower part) was not easy with that fabric.
So I ordered a stretchable fabric from KOREA which I don’t believe you can due to freight cost issue.
It was possible for me because I have tons of air shipment from my head office there to where I am.
So you better find the similar one locally.
I think fabric without foam will be tough to apply glue without smearing it on the front… it may depend on the adhesive you use..
I also check with the supplier for alcantera-like one way stretchable fabric but the only thing available with them was self-adhering type... peel off paper and attach...
And I didn’t think that will resist to heat.
Anyway, if you are not a professional, job will be much much easier with STRETCHABLE fabric

Thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 AM
New Members

For the B pillar top parts, there is a plastic part around the seat belt area. This part seems to be melted/welded to the pillar itself.

Did you remove this part? If not, how did you get the fabric under this plastic part?

I found a fabric from yourautotrim.com that has a fabric look to it closer to the original one (FN2135). It also has a 1/8 thick foam backing (great for headline and sun roof). From you experience, do you think it will be an issue with the pillars?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 PM
New Members

I was travelling over the weekend and did't have time to install it.
Maybe on this weekend...
I had to break the welded part to take the plastic trim off of the pillar.
Any plier will do the job and I used a vice plier.
Squeeze and turn.. It popped out easily. I tried to leave as many 'pillar' as possible so that I can weld it again with a soldering iron and I was successful removing and reinstalling it.
But I had to take it apart again to change fabric later and it left no ' pillar' to bite after second time removal.
So I used a solid type epoxy to reinstall it.
I will post a picture of it later before I install it
If you are to re-cover just a pillars, any fabric will do.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 AM
New Members

I had a A pillar part that broke. Those parts are ABS and you can use ABS glue from home depot. It did a real good job. Just be sure to press and hold until it sets.

Quick Reply: Headliner re-covering tip