E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights ALWAYS on when set to auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 silver gray metallic 530i with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, navigation, and L-7 audio.

I hear a lot about daytime running lights and such and was wondering.... if the headlight knob is set to auto (far left), are the headlights always on (a daytime running mode)? Or, does the car measure the amount of ambient light and appropriately turn the lights on/off? This is a new car for me and my first BMW, so please help a new member out. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Contributors

aboard my friend. Hope ur enjoying ur new bimmer as we all are

Turning the knob to auto, lets the car measure the amount of ambient light and appropriately turn the lights on/off using the light sensor.

If you want ur lights always turned on even during the day. Go into ur i-drive menu and turn on ur DRL (daytime running lights).

Hope this helps, Enoy the forum
Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dl5series' post='734754' date='Nov 30 2008, 09:18 AM
I hear a lot about daytime running lights and such and was wondering.... if the headlight knob is set to auto (far left), are the headlights always on (a daytime running mode)? Or, does the car measure the amount of ambient light and appropriately turn the lights on/off? This is a new car for me and my first BMW, so please help a new member out. Thanks.
Hi I also understand you can have the auto ligths set to different light sensitivities by the a dealer so they will come on when it is less dark.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='734764' date='Nov 30 2008, 04:56 AM
aboard my friend. Hope ur enjoying ur new bimmer as we all are

Turning the knob to auto, lets the car measure the amount of ambient light and appropriately turn the lights on/off using the light sensor.

If you want ur lights always turned on even during the day. Go into ur i-drive menu and turn on ur DRL (daytime running lights).

Hope this helps, Enoy the forum
Can '05 euro e60s set DRL's in iDrive? My '07 had to be activated by my dealer. But after a progman update they had been disabled.

Now that I have AngelBrights I don't mind because the DRLs on reduced power were not as white as the other front facing lights.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

DRL can be set in the iDrive in pre-LCI cars in the EU but in the US only the dealer could do this. The sensitivity setting was always a dealer only option. In LCI cars I think everyone can set the DRL on or off via the iDrive but again not the sensitivity.

The light sensor on the car not only looks for light outside but also the angle the light is at. So dont but surprised if you feel there is enough light outside and yet your lights are on even though the DRL is set off.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='734904' date='Nov 30 2008, 09:46 AM
DRL can be set in the iDrive in pre-LCI cars in the EU but in the US only the dealer could do this. The sensitivity setting was always a dealer only option. In LCI cars I think everyone can set the DRL on or off via the iDrive but again not the sensitivity.

The light sensor on the car not only looks for light outside but also the angle the light is at. So dont but surprised if you feel there is enough light outside and yet your lights are on even though the DRL is set off.
Correct...
Old 11-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 silver gray metallic 530i with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, navigation, and L-7 audio.

Damn, you guys know a lot about these cars. Thanks for the info. I'll check my i-drive menu and see if it's there.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='734904' date='Nov 30 2008, 12:46 PM

I had planed on posting a ? About how 2 turn off the drl's. What exactly dose the dealer do?.....will I have control over them once the dealer makes the adjustment?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

If I see the term Pre-LCI one more time.....................

Maybe someone could update the FAQ cos I still have no clue wtf people are talking about, even tho im new to the E60 im not new to BMW's which makes it even worse lol.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='735411' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:09 AM
If I see the term Pre-LCI one more time.....................

Maybe someone could update the FAQ cos I still have no clue wtf people are talking about, even tho im new to the E60 im not new to BMW's which makes it even worse lol.
LCI = Life cycle Impulse. Basically BMW's term for mid life face lift. Became available from 2007. So any E60 before then is classed as pre-LCI. Hope this clarifies it for you

Quick Reply: Headlights ALWAYS on when set to auto?