E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i

Hi all,
I had assumed that the headlight wiring issue was isolated to the E60's but a post on another forum has revealed a 2004 330Ci to be affected as well.

I guess I should start to list known vehicles of people that have a wiring problem.
Not that it would mean if you do not own one of the cars listed you are safe, I would still urge ALL BMW Car owners to keep a close look inside their headlights.
However if you DO own one of the cars listed below you really need to be very aware of this problem and keep an eye on your headlight.
It is a Cancer in your headlight and the earlier that you catch it, the easier it is to repair.

Starting with my car first:

1) 2006 530i (with Adaptive Headlights. Part # 63-12-7-160-157)
2) 2004 525i
3) 2004 530i
4) 2004 545i
5) 2004 330Ci
6) 2007 530i
7) 2007 335i
8) 2008 528i
9) 2008 535i
10) 2008 550i

If you have this problem and do not see your car listed please tell us here and I will update the list....

Bud

Last edited by BuddyB; 10-31-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Members

update on mine. I stopped by and talked with the shop Forman at my local dealer. they are going to take the car in Monday and try to justify a warranty claim before I go down the BMWNA path of getting a exception.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by jamie75
update on mine. I stopped by and talked with the shop Forman at my local dealer. they are going to take the car in Monday and try to justify a warranty claim before I go down the BMWNA path of getting a exception.
Oh, I think you are very lucky! If they end up changing out the headlights ask them if they are going to diecard them there or actually send them to NA. I would be interested in purchasing them in their current condition! Its really a hit and miss, because sometimes the throw them inthe trash and others get returned.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:25 AM
New Members

Hi all,
As my post suggests I have had to rewire my complete headlight because my wires had degraded to bare copper.
What little insulation that remained on the wires crumbled and flaked off when I touched them.
Because it has been so invasive I wonder if it will work but I had to try!
I've added some pictures and I will post back with the results..I think that I'm almost done.
I had to get some liquid tape to seal around the heat shrink in a few places.

A few pictures..... In the last picture you can see the Fiber Optic Covered in Heat shrink.
Also in the harness you can see one last bare copper wire that I need to cut out and then solder in a new color-coded wire....
Yes welcome to my Nightmare!!!

Bud
Do you like my insulation speckled work table? LOL!
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-01-new-wiree.jpg   Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-02-new-wiree.jpg   Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-04-new-wiree.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:46 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

For areas of the car that aren't protected by the elements "dual-wall adhesive heat shrink tubing" is a better choice that regular heat shrink tubing.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by BuddyB
Hi all,
As my post suggests I have had to rewire my complete headlight because my wires had degraded to bare copper.
What little insulation that remained on the wires crumbled and flaked off when I touched them.
Because it has been so invasive I wonder if it will work but I had to try!
I've added some pictures and I will post back with the results..I think that I'm almost done.
I had to get some liquid tape to seal around the heat shrink in a few places.

A few pictures..... In the last picture you can see the Fiber Optic Covered in Heat shrink.
Also in the harness you can see one last bare copper wire that I need to cut out and then solder in a new color-coded wire....
Yes welcome to my Nightmare!!!

Bud
Do you like my insulation speckled work table? LOL!
Buddy, nice job so far. As far long as you are on this I think I would continue adding protection even around the original wires that look good at the moment. Or did you replace the wires completely? When mine failed and I had to cut the hsg. open I wrapped everything in electrical tape because at the time I assumed I would be replacing the lights and I just needed a moderate fix to drive the car. I had considered completely replacing the entire wires with new ones. For some reason I thought you had ordered better wires to do this as well. After I sealed my lens everything was just so nice I decided to just leave it alone. So far now into several months and absoultely no internal fogging or moisture.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:50 PM
New Members

Hi all,
I replaced every wire with new color coded GXL wire @ 20ga. cut at each end and soldered in line.
GXL Wire is good to almost 300 degrees Fahrenheit and is impervious to oil, gas, just about anything that would be under the hood of a car.
GXL wiring is also standard for Ford, Chrysler and GM..Obviously not BMW! +
I was going to go with adhesive heat shrink but decided against it because the headlight is relatively a sealed unit.
The heat shrink just barely slid over the wire so at 2-1 shrinkage it shrunk down very very tightly around the wire and solder joint.
I lastly used black liquid tape at every connector to seal the ends of the wire / heat shrink and where the original wires connects into it's plug / connector.

Well I am finally ready for my "Power On" test after completely rewiring my headlight.
AMAZING..It actually works!
Now I just have to finish putting it all back together.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-power-1.jpg   Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-power-2.jpg   Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-power-3.jpg   Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-power-4.jpg   Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-power-5.jpg  

Last edited by BuddyB; 11-11-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Members

my update. not much to report. my Dealer still has a case open with BMWNA. its been 10 days and no news back. I hope that it is a good sign because I didn't get the immediate "no" answer
Old 08-30-2016, 07:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Guys,
I know that this is an old issue but I have a 2008 and have the same issue and BMW treated me the same way they did to others. I filed a complaint with
Keeping You Safe | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Please file complaints even if your issue is old. Thats the only way to make BMW liable and honest. The more complaints the more pressure.