E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014 | 05:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: '06 530i

Hi Tony,
In reply to your question about the shape of my headlight after removing the front lens.
The lens itself is in good shape, a few screwdriver marks on the very outer edge but no cracks.
The black housing itself did not fare as well.
The headlight lens goes into a channel like a U around the headlight assy.
Some of the outer portions are chewed up a bit even cracked in one spot.
However I am confident that when I epoxy and silicone the lens back into the U
it will all seal all around the lens.

I will post some pictures tomorrow so you can see.
At this time my biggest concern (since I am through with hoping for some assistance from BMW) is to now order the wire and adhesive shrink wrap that I need
to rewire the harness with.

Later,

Bud
Old 10-02-2014 | 01:02 AM
New Members

Hi all,
Just an FYI.
I have sent emails out to people that I know across the country as well as posting here
and it is amazing the response that I have received.
A number of people have responded that they either wrapped their wires or used the black glue/tar like stuff or purchased new headlights.
Yet no one said a word to anyone!
And most importantly....No one filed a complaint with the NHTSA.
Vehicle Owners | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

If everyone that this has touched had filed a complaint with the NTHSA then maybe there would already be a Recall.
Just as there is a Recall for some of BMW's tail lights due to bad wiring!
Even if you have or know someone that has already fixed the problem it is important that everyone takes a few minutes and goes to the NHTSA website and file a complaint.
Tell anyone that you know, even if they do not own a BMW, they may know someone who does!
Early diagnoses with some prevention may save them from this.....

Thanks

Bud
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-bmw-e60-530i-wh-01e.jpg   Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating-bmw-e60-530i-wh-03e.jpg  

Last edited by BuddyB; 10-02-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2014 | 01:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by BuddyB
Hi Tony,
In reply to your question about the shape of my headlight after removing the front lens.
The lens itself is in good shape, a few screwdriver marks on the very outer edge but no cracks.
The black housing itself did not fare as well.
The headlight lens goes into a channel like a U around the headlight assy.
Some of the outer portions are chewed up a bit even cracked in one spot.
However I am confident that when I epoxy and silicone the lens back into the U
it will all seal all around the lens.

I will post some pictures tomorrow so you can see.
At this time my biggest concern (since I am through with hoping for some assistance from BMW) is to now order the wire and adhesive shrink wrap that I need
to rewire the harness with.

Later,

Bud
Bud, thats what I was thinking. I tried myself with a heat gun and I couldn't see anyway to steer the heat exactly where I wanted it and the result when using a pry tool would have created a mess. To save the lens, I think this would work, but in my case I did't really see a way to bring it all back together. So far, I think the best way is to remove the lens just as the link you attached in an earlier post. That would be to remove the top section of the "U" joint then you can use heat and a tool to lift and pull away. This leaves a lap joint which will provide a much better joint. Umnitza also posted a video showing how to open but in their video it's much faster but appears to leave a butt joint which is not as strong. I asked that they show the rest to seal it back up but they've have never responded.

The method I used seemed to work well, I'm sure there are better ways if you have multiple lights to practice on. If were going to keep my car I would have invested the money in those that do a better job than us "first time cutters".

I also had very good results from the sealant that I used for the lens to the housing. It's made by 3M and is a paintable body panel seam sealer. I was more than pleased with it. So far after almost two months and lots of horrible rain, no leaks or fogging.
Old 10-02-2014 | 06:35 AM
New Members

Thanks for that Tony.
I agree that with today's epoxy and sealants I could not imagine that I could not seal plastic.
Plastic has to be an easy composite to join together.

Later,
Bud
Old 10-02-2014 | 03:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

It boggles the mind that BMW would use the line 'improper service' to deny anything inside a sealed module. Boggles even further considering the existing tail light recall which was mandated as a safety issue due to the fact that non-functioning brake lights could cause a collision - the purpose of headlights is what, decoration?
Old 10-02-2014 | 04:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by audiophool
It boggles the mind that BMW would use the line 'improper service' to deny anything inside a sealed module. Boggles even further considering the existing tail light recall which was mandated as a safety issue due to the fact that non-functioning brake lights could cause a collision - the purpose of headlights is what, decoration?
You are correct. Please everyone, 'maintain' your headlights on a regular basis. I have some time off next week, so I'll start a 'DIY maintain headlights' thread when I get a chance.
Old 10-02-2014 | 05:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Well if I do ever get new headlights I will definitely keep my tires balanced, the carpet vacuumed, windows cleaned any small common oil leaks will be repaired quickly just so my wire insulation doesn't dry rot. I wonder what sewer hole they found this Govt chick ?
Old 10-07-2014 | 01:27 PM
New Members

I just filed a complaint too!
Old 10-09-2014 | 05:28 AM
New Members

Hi all,
Sometimes I hate being correct but BMW submitted their official response to the wiring issue of my headlight!
If you can see anything in their response that even attempts to logically explain why the wiring is deteriorating, your better than me.
Here it is:

Mr. ___ had not been to an authorized BMW center in 7 years prior to May 9, 2014. On May 9, 2014 Mr. ___ came in for service to register an aftermarket battery purchased for his 2006 BMW 530i. At that time, as a courtesy, the service center advised the customer his veihcle required repairs. Namely, Water Pump - Replace, Thermostat - Coolant - Replace, Cylinder Head Cover Gaskets - Replace, Engine Oil Pan leaking, replace Radiator Hose. Mr. ___ declined these repairs. It is not possible for BMW NA to verify the proper maintenance of Mr. ___ vehicle since he had not frequented an authorized BMW center and previously declined repairs. The warranty on Mr. ___ vehicle expired 7/29/09. Mr. ___ has been out of warranty for 6 years. Therefore, BMW NA offered to provide the requested part at the wholesale customer price, an approximate 28% discount of the MSRP. This offer is valid until October 31, 2014.

Sent on: 10/2/2014 12:53:51 PM

Sent by: 170.34.104.12
Well that cleared it all up for me!
Lauderdale BMW's repair quote was I believe around $8,000.00.
Why I just didn't schedule a follow up service appointment to do this work, I'll never know...Oh my God! What was I thinking!
Even the service writer said that with an out of warranty vehicle I might want to look elsewhere for these repairs!
I appreciated his honesty and ability to relate to me that BMW's prices, were just not applicable to a 2006 BMW 530i!
The repairs could be taken care of for much much less!

The radiator hose was $90.00 and the coolant was $25.00 that's a whopping $115.00.
The old radiator hose is removed by raising clips at the connectors with a screwdriver and then clicking on a new hose. Literally one of the easiest repairs I ever did.
I replaced the coolant at the same time and the water pump worked flawlessly while removing any air from the coolant.
I have not had any cooling issues and never did.
As far as the oil pan leaking, which I've read is a real PIA not to mention expensive to replace the pan gasket.
From one oil change to the next I will lose a half of a quart of oil!
Roughly $4.00, but yes, I should rush in my car to Lauderdale BMW and spend over a thousand dollars to fix a leaking oil pan gasket!
If I drove 12,000 miles in a year and did 4 oil changes, each time dripping out a half of a quart...that's $16.00 in a year!
Over ten years it would be $160.00 but I should spend over a thousand dollars to fix this problem now!

Still the bottom line is:
What in the end does any of this possibly have to do with the wires in my headlight having bare copper?
BMW will not and I believe unless they are forced to by the NHSTA will never address the wiring issue!
They will throw up as many smoke screens as they can while dealing with us one at a time.
For BMW to help even one person would mean that BMW would have to admit that there IS A real Problem and they will never do that!

The BBB asked me if I accepted BMW's response or not...I'm sure you can guess what I said.
I replied with pretty much what I have said here and how disappointed I am in BMW.
They had a chance to step up and do the right thing but instead did what we have all come to expect from a big corporation such as BMW!
Protect their Bottom Line at all costs!

I have ordered GXL wiring that has the best outer jacket for automotive (GM-Chrysler and Ford use this wiring) it is from here: Welcome to WireBarn - Quality Wire Made in USA
Wire Barn was one of the few places that I could find that offers lengths in the 10 to 25 foot range per spool.
I ordered the eight color spools (25 feet per roll) in the 20 gauge size.
GXL Wire:

Summary

Type GXL (general purpose cross-linked) XLPE automotive primary wire is for use in engine compartments where higher heat resistance is required according to SAE J1128.
General Information:

Chemically cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) insulation
RoHS Compliant
A variety of insulation colors available

Available Approvals

SAE: -40°C to 125°C, 60V, J1128

Available Constructions Include

Soft-annealed, bare copper conductor
Soft-annealed, tinned copper conductor

Available Certifications

SAE: J2549
Ford: ESB-M1L86-A, ESB-M1L85-B
Chrysler: MS-8900
Delphi: M-3070

Applications

For use in automotive applications. Rated for continuous use from -40ºC up to 125ºC.
Why doesn't BMW use this wire?

Have a great day all,

Bud
Old 10-09-2014 | 04:46 PM
Senior Members

A friend stopped by today to borrow my coding cable. He is also a member on here. We were talking about this issue and he didn't think his 08 had the problem. We had a look and intinally the wires looked ok, but as soon as you moved them the insulation came off. He snapped a few pics and will send to his SA at Century BMW. His car has ~ 80 K and a CPO warranty. NA told me mine was not covered because I was out of warranty. I bet they tell him that his is not covered because it CPO...! We will see.

Quick Reply: Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating