E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight wash question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me if I have healight wash fitted, may sound a daft question(some may say just look) anyway I have an 05 523 M sport e60 and I cant recall the h/light washers ever working. I know it only happens when the lights are on and I can see the top plates on mu bumpers. Should I see these even if there is nothing under them. ?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by jotty' post='495224' date='Nov 16 2007, 04:42 PM
Can someone tell me if I have healight wash fitted, may sound a daft question(some may say just look) anyway I have an 05 523 M sport e60 and I cant recall the h/light washers ever working. I know it only happens when the lights are on and I can see the top plates on mu bumpers. Should I see these even if there is nothing under them. ?

Yes, you will see the covers but if you do not have washers these are blanks. If there are washers underneath then they are easy to see by hooking your fingernail into the gap at the top of the cover and lifting - it will be hinged and the washers will be visible. You can even then pull the washers up by hand.

If they are blanks then you will not be able to pull up the overs as they are fixed and not hinged.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Is there an activation button/knob in the cabin?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

nope, you just pull on the washer stalk on the steering wheel and hold it.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='495430' date='Nov 16 2007, 06:22 PM
nope, you just pull on the washer stalk on the steering wheel and hold it.

So wouldn't that be the activation knob? Do the headlight washers come on when you activate the windshield washers then?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='495715' date='Nov 17 2007, 05:23 PM
So wouldn't that be the activation knob? Do the headlight washers come on when you activate the windshield washers then?
Yes, but the headlight washers only operate when the lights are on and then, only every ten times that the windshield is washed. Also, you can't wash the headlights more than once every 10 minutes...
Old 11-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='495717' date='Nov 17 2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, but the headlight washers only operate when the lights are on and then, only every ten times that the windshield is washed. Also, you can't wash the headlights more than once every 10 minutes...

Cool...thanks Rudy for the enlightenment!! Going to be a "pro" with this car from day 1!! These cars are complex...no doubt and I can't wait to get mine dialed in and into memory so it's ready to roll for me every time!!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

hey Rudy
I noticed today when i came to use my washers that the nozzle on the right passenger side is missing its head piece and shoots water at the car in front of me instead of my hood or aka headlight!! Also when i used it, it shot off the cover and lever is no where to be found. My question is, do you know how easy or hard it is to replace this myself? Or does the bumper need to be taken off? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Angela
Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by dalangi' post='885312' date='May 21 2009, 07:46 AM
hey Rudy
I noticed today when i came to use my washers that the nozzle on the right passenger side is missing its head piece and shoots water at the car in front of me instead of my hood or aka headlight!! Also when i used it, it shot off the cover and lever is no where to be found. My question is, do you know how easy or hard it is to replace this myself? Or does the bumper need to be taken off? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Angela
its a hard job im afraid, i have retro fitted headlight washers to my car, the bumber trim has to come off to do it properly,
it`s not for the feint of heart unless you like dismanterling your car
Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by dalangi' post='885312' date='May 21 2009, 02:46 AM
hey Rudy

Thanks

Angela
I'm not too familiar with the process but I believe BLooD is correct that the bumper cover needs to come off. The following document from TIS confirms this:
RA__Removing_and_installing_replacing_left_or_right_high_pressure_nozzle_of_headligh.pdf

Quick Reply: Headlight wash question