E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Head Replacement Scheduled

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Originally Posted by pradden
From talking to the guys in our local Bimmer club, the M54 is pretty much the most reliable and preferred BMW engine by many. Actually, I was wondering if the M54 on the E60 has an belt driven water pump, or electronic WP like the N52?

Hi Pradden,

Not sure.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KyleB
yep, i agree.
Hi KyleB,

The only item that was critical was obviously the water pump. The rest is getting these items fixed before the warranty expires. Overall, the car is great and I really like the way it drives and handles, but as mentioned these repairs make you wonder what can happen next $$$$.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

From talking to the guys in our local Bimmer club, the M54 is pretty much the most reliable and preferred BMW engine by many. Actually, I was wondering if the M54 on the E60 has an belt driven water pump, or electronic WP like the N52?

belt driven, same as M50 and M52.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I figured it was. Makes me sooooo mad I didn't learn more about BMW motors prior to by purchase. I would have stuck to an 04-05 530i. I love my N52, but I just don't trust it as much for reliability because of the numerous electronic water pump failures and head/valve issues... O well, at least it's still a 6-sp manual and fun to drive.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Banned

I figured it was. Makes me sooooo mad I didn't learn more about BMW motors prior to by purchase. I would have stuck to an 04-05 530i. I love my N52, but I just don't trust it as much for reliability because of the numerous electronic water pump failures and head/valve issues... O well, at least it's still a 6-sp manual and fun to drive.

I like mine too and I didn't do the research either other than speaking with friends who've owned BMW previously which the responses were positive. If you want to drive a BMW you must have a warranty unless you can accomplish the major repairs yourself, but you're still up against the crazy part prices.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

While the warranty on my 545i was quietly ticking away, it was depreciating on average at about $1 per mile. That, to me, was essentially the cost of the warranty. Now that I'm paying directly for all the R&M (mostly indy shop work, little DIY), it's about $0.36 per mile. On average, warranties of any kind have to cost more than what they cover, because they are insurance, and insurance companies (last I heard) make a profit. Now, if you can't afford to take the GAMBLE that you'll have repairs that exceed the cost of the warranty, then insurance/warranty is for you. But you need to recognize that you'll PROBABLY pay more for the warranty than you'll get out of it. It's all in the ODDS, and they're stacked in favor of the insurance/warranty company.

Ok, off the soap-box. It's one of my favorite rants.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Wolrab
While the warranty on my 545i was quietly ticking away, it was depreciating on average at about $1 per mile. That, to me, was essentially the cost of the warranty. Now that I'm paying directly for all the R&M (mostly indy shop work, little DIY), it's about $0.36 per mile. On average, warranties of any kind have to cost more than what they cover, because they are insurance, and insurance companies (last I heard) make a profit. Now, if you can't afford to take the GAMBLE that you'll have repairs that exceed the cost of the warranty, then insurance/warranty is for you. But you need to recognize that you'll PROBABLY pay more for the warranty than you'll get out of it. It's all in the ODDS, and they're stacked in favor of the insurance/warranty company.

I totally agree. Otherwise, the insurance companies would loose money
Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolrab

I agree as well. One of my struggles relates to the price of a good warranty and usage. I work from home so I don't commute. My average mileage per year is less than 6k. Once I get these issues resolved then I shouldn't have any major repairs occurring anytime soon.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

Got the car back from the dealer after three days and they were not able to duplicate the lifter ticking, if that's what it is after they replaced the lifters per the service bulletin. They said the head can't be replaced unless they can duplicate the event. Drove the car home and it was parked for four hours. I drove it to the store which is about 3 miles away, came back and the car was parked for another two hours and guess what, when I started it I heard the ticking noise again. So, I plan to document each event for the next two weeks and I'll take it back to the dealer again. It's cat and mouse with them. I know it's a big job, however, I didn't buy a BMW to hear lifter ticking. They need to fix it whatever it is. My CPO warranty expires in December and I'll be #$%^& if I have to pay for a head replacement after my warranty expires after so many trips to the stealer.

While my car was at the dealer they provided me with a 2012 528i four cylinder turbo. The car drove worse than my wifes Infinity G37 sedan even in sports mode. I wasn't impressed at all. In my opionion our E60's drive so much better.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by IvoryJ
While my car was at the dealer they provided me with a 2012 528i four cylinder turbo. The car drove worse than my wifes Infinity G37 sedan even in sports mode. I wasn't impressed at all. In my opionion our E60's drive so much better.
I wasn't impressed with 2010 528i (e60) with m-sport 19" rims/body kit after I test drove g35 sedan. Though we ended up getting 09 550i for my wife.

Quick Reply: Head Replacement Scheduled