E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Haven't Done this in a while

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Well, after a painstaking weekend of washing, claying, pre-wax cleaning, glazing, then waxing. Here is the results:
Attached Thumbnails Haven't Done this in a while-imag0068.jpg   Haven't Done this in a while-imag0069.jpg   Haven't Done this in a while-imag0070.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! Love the tints on the turn signal. How much % is that? I after 4 months just detailed my car. I need to finish it in a bit by adding the final layer of wax . What products do you use?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Looking good! Love the tints on the turn signal. How much % is that? I after 4 months just detailed my car. I need to finish it in a bit by adding the final layer of wax . What products do you use?

I used all Meguiar's products, haven't tried anyone else's yet - maybe TonyMac can convince me to try something else
It was all done by hand too, my neighbor let me borrow his rotary polisher (Milwaukee model 5455, I think) but I am not sure about using it until I get some practice on a scrap panel.

The taillights came like that, they're smoked
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

your car is sick man. i have the same color. im getting my M5 Tech kit put on this week (minus rear bumper tho). so i cant wait. its going to look similar to yours. i was about to wash, clay bar and wax my car this past weekend but decided to hold off until i found a better wax....how much do you love that meguires or do you suggest i find something better for our paint color?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Looks great! Loving the reflections and the glassy surface especially in the 3rd pic.

Have you thought about Bruce's cables, or do you already have them? Difficult to tell from pictures.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/114...bruces-cables/

Another thing, because your wheels are very dark, try taking next pictures with a flash, even if it's daylight. That could highlight them more.

- Antti -
Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umichchris
your car is sick man. i have the same color. im getting my M5 Tech kit put on this week (minus rear bumper tho). so i cant wait. its going to look similar to yours. i was about to wash, clay bar and wax my car this past weekend but decided to hold off until i found a better wax....how much do you love that meguires or do you suggest i find something better for our paint color?
Pick something from the Dodo Juice lineup . You won't regret. Just remember to use thinly.

- Antti -
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umichchris
Thanks Bro, it's still a work in progress, but as the mileage gets up there it means less mods left and more maintenance.

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Pick something from the Dodo Juice lineup . You won't regret. Just remember to use thinly.

- Antti -
Hey Antti, do you know anything about that polisher I mentioned above? It says 1750 RPM on it, but I am guessing I need to find a way to adjust it to around 1000 RPM before I actually use it. It's pretty old, my neighbor used it to polish his '32 Ford, but he's about 80 and hasn't used it in years.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Yes you will need a polisher that has an adjustable rpm range between 400-2000rpm (around that). A rotary polisher has a steeper learning curve compared to an orbital polisher. I'd suggest that. For example Meguiar's has few of them. In orbital polishers (DA) the rpm range is much lower due to the orbital movement of the pad.

I've used a DA for now, but last week I bought my first rotary and polished a car with it last weekend, and I can say controlling a rotary is much more difficult than a DA .

- Antti -
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Yes you will need a polisher that has an adjustable rpm range between 400-2000rpm (around that). A rotary polisher has a steeper learning curve compared to an orbital polisher. I'd suggest that. For example Meguiar's has few of them. In orbital polishers (DA) the rpm range is much lower due to the orbital movement of the pad.

I've used a DA for now, but last week I bought my first rotary and polished a car with it last weekend, and I can say controlling a rotary is much more difficult than a DA .

- Antti -

Thanks Antti, I was actually going to see about getting a scrap panel from a junkyard to practice on and see if I can figure out how to use it. No way that thing is touching my paint until I am comfortable with it.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice