E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardwiring accessories - where's the power ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 04:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon
Thumbs up

Hi all,

I'm planning to hardwire my GPS speed trap locator / GPS into my new E61.
I like them over on the right (UK car) of the driver, above the vents an on the bit of dashtop by the drivers door.

Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to splice into to get power.
I'm assuming that the trims under the steering column etc can be removed to access the loom.

I'm a little nervous of making mistakes as I've never worked on a car this complex or expensive before.

Any help/ideas gratefully received.

Cheers
Nick
Old 05-15-2006, 04:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Bluetooth, Bi-xenon headlamps, adaptive headlamps, auto dimming interior mirror, heated folding door mirrors, electric front seats with drivers memory, heated front seats, extended light package, sun protection glass, electrically adjustable steering column, automatic air conditioning.

When I got my snooper fitted I got the power from the interior light and mounted it just above the rear view mirror. You can just make it out in this pic
Attached Thumbnails Hardwiring accessories - where's the power ?-x1pkvwgtg5zn8jh2cdhit5g6yuu4yhnsd1jko0sh6g9jwr3xojcpmq6dqgj0p7oddulekwtm5uhfmcppjzm5ypdfpzrhbwws.jpg  
Old 05-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

Hadn't thought of that spot. I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 04:18 AM
jcp
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport Touring LCI. Platinum Gray. Beige Dakota leather. Brushed Aluminium trim. Media package. Side blinds. Auto dim mirrors. Comfort seats. Storage compartment pack. Extended interior light package. HUD. DVD prep in rear. IPOD interface.

That's exactly where I have my Origin B2 installed. The little storage compartment below there comes out easily with the removal of a few screws inside, and gives access to the wiring for the light controls. However there is no exposed connector and to be honest I chickened out and ran the leads behind the trim all the way round to the cigarette lighter and just plugged it in there. Not ideal, but the thought of butchering the wiring and then having to go tail between legs to the dealer was too much to contemplate. Keep thinking about revisiting it though.