E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling/suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='759862' date='Jan 5 2009, 01:54 PM
Easiest and cost effective way would be to add springs, stiffer shocks and then finally strut braces. Also you can add spacers to your rear wheels, If I am not mistaken 12mm is the most popular size folks on here use with your set up.

New shocks and springs will make the biggest difference. H&R and Eibach make most of the equipment you need.

I would say you are going to spend about $1000-$1200 or so for the above additions for parts and labor if you added all of the above.

GL

Do what this man says. I have an 04 530 and did all of those mods and more and WOW what a difference.

Whatever you do, make sure you get shocks and struts put in the same time you get sport springs or you'll regret it later. Trust me.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

If you are keeping your car longer, then it's ADVISED to replace the struts all together.
Labor rate (or DIY) on E60 suspension isn't cheap/easy.

For me H&R Sport w/ Bilstein Sport would be my preferred combo.
I have had many "floating" feel w/ Eibach Spring from many different cars that I have had but never any complains w/ H&R.

Koni struts are NICE but the rears can only be internally (not externally) - so what's the point of going "adjustable" if you have to remove rear spring to adjust then redo 4 wheel allign to get the "right" adjustment.

As for swaybar, I'm sure sport package comes w/ stiffer or "electronically adjustable" bar which makes a HUGE difference in handling when you drove the 550 w/ SP vs your non SP 530.
This is one thing to consider too. Many aftermarket sway bars for E60 aren't that THICK that you'd hate it for daily drive.
I think Eibach or AC Schnitzer makes a more "conservative" sway bar than H&R's

^^^^ IMHO, others may vary
Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

what's the performance package on the 550? I assume it's the standard sport package.

Anyway, on Tirerack the only set of shocks that I can find for the 2008 5 series are Koni FSD. I assume that the LCI didn't result in much change in suspension set up. Bilstein shocks are not even listed for 2008 models.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Terraformer' post='759821' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:58 AM
I have an 04 530i 6-spd, no frills, 29K miles. That is, regular suspension (non-sport), no cold weather package. (But it does have luxury package--I think it's called--with leather, sound system, etc.) So far, the only mod is 19" Michelins on 166s (non-M6 offset to boot).

This past weekend I test drove an 07 550i with the performance package (I'm assuming that means all bells/whistles). It handled crazy good, very tight and responsive as you all know it is. While I'm not yet interested in upgrading (I'd take a bath on my 04 that I purchased), I am interested in trying to get some of that handling in the 550i.

My question is, what can I do to improve my 530's handling? I've read here about springs, coil-overs, and other things, but I am ignorant of what these things each, or collectively, give you. I'd like to improve my car's handling, but at what cost? What do springs give me? What do coil-overs give me? Can I get spacers that 'fill-out' the rear wheel well (which is what I assume the M6-offset would have done)? Are there other things to do (I'm sure sway bars and other things are options)? What do each of these cost? I am not interested in going nuts and spending thousands, maybe up to a thousand (preferably no more than several hundred). Is it worth doing? Or should I just sit tight with what I have? What manufacturers/part #s do you suggest if springs only? If coil-overs? Spacers?

Thanks for any and all input!
Sorry to tag on but I have been beating my self up with this decision for months. I just want to do the right thing. Here goes, should I upgrade my shocks/struts and keep the same springs? If I put 172's on my 530 would it look funny without lowering? Thanks and good luck with your decision.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by TMQ' post='762064' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:36 PM
what's the performance package on the 550? I assume it's the standard sport package.

Anyway, on Tirerack the only set of shocks that I can find for the 2008 5 series are Koni FSD. I assume that the LCI didn't result in much change in suspension set up. Bilstein shocks are not even listed for 2008 models.
Don't want to make any assumption but my guesstimate the suspension should be the same up to 2008.

The way to kind of "test" it is to check 2008 Koni's part # against 2005.
And other known Spring part #. If they are the same then more than likely there's no changes in suspension design.

Tirerack is rather slow in updating their part #s.