E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Handling in snow/ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paasan' post='217421' date='Dec 30 2005, 07:29 PM
If you are in an emergency have to fit only two winter tyres, fit them in the front. What would you rather lack control over - steering or acceleration? I prefer maintaining control over the direction
Not true imho.
Normal people and even quite modest ones always go one way or the other. Either stay with summer tires and support the riscs or go with winter tires.
Belive me that fitting winter on the front and summer at the back u don't maintain control over the direction too much.
Acceleratin--->u'll likely accelerate pointing in the wrong way even if u want to correct it and go straight. Because there is poor traction the back will act as a fish tail even with dsc at the lightest touch of acceleration.
Moving off----> there is a huge chance not to be able to move off because of the tires ont ha back.
Braking---->also big chance to loose control cuz braking is being done on all 4 wheels. ASo if 2 wheels have way better grip than the other 2 then control is compromised.
In the end...don't fit only 2 winter tires. Go all the way to winter or keep summer.

Just my advice.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OliverB' post='217370' date='Dec 30 2005, 09:39 PM
Winter tires are always worth ! Not only on snow, but everytime temperature is going under 7?C, on rain, mud, dead leaves, ...
You don't need to let your beautifull rims be attacked by salt on winter roads !
And while you wear out your winter tires, you don't wear out your expensive large RFT sport tires ! CQFD
On snow or ice, when you'll hit a ditch because you couldn't stop or turn at 10km/h, you'll feel very stupid !! :'(
And with 225/50VR17 tires, your car doesn't look ugly. Not perfect in deep snow, but I can tell you it helps a lot !!
Today in Belgium, it was blizzard ! I didn't have any problem to drive anywhere, while my neighbour couldn't get his X5 out of the garage (275/40R20). I was laughing while he was crying ! Very secure with DSC on, very easy & funny without (but with an egg between my foot & the right pedal with 500nm torque !)
Another advice : always fit 4 winter tires, not only 2 on the rear (even more dangerous) !!
Agreed. I fit (4!) winter tyres to all rear wheel cars in my company, and *everyone* who uses them comments on the remarkable difference. Oliver summs it up very well - "?C, on rain, mud, dead leaves, ... " - it doesn't have to be snow.

However I do compromise - narrow tyres are undoubtedly better for snow, but I fit the same size as standard (245/40/18s) which help the 95% of the time here the cold temperature and mud/leaves/grease on roads are the problem, and are still good in snow (although not as good as narrower tyres).

I'm in the UK
Old 12-31-2005, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by Znod' post='216464
wow Don you get around! Off for business or pleasure? Renting a car? haha
Nope, we usually don't rent cars when we are staying in the larger cities. I have never driven on the London side of things; what a disaster that could be in the snow and ice. Oh, and pleasure--definitely.
[/quote]

lol right on! DO be sure to give us all the details of your nice trip. I've never been to Europe or the UK unfortuneately. Happy New Year!

Originally Posted by Canada545' post='216465
Yes I'm in western Canada and not looking forward to the winter part of driving!! Do you have the winter tires and wheels package? APparently that makes a big difference!
The car handles GREAT in snow and ice ... if you have winters like I do ... DTC/DSC works great!
[/quote]

well if I recall you're in Edmonton, and I'm in Saskatoon so winters are pretty much identical. THEY SUCK! I wanna move to Vegas or somewhere less harsh! Soon enough What type of package do you recomend for winter tires and wheels?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

If you are in an emergency have to fit only two winter tyres, fit them in the front. What would you rather lack control over - steering or acceleration? I prefer maintaining control over the direction
I've never heard this for tires. I know this debate is as old as the car itself but this is true for snow chains (in an AWD vehicle). I wouldn't use two different set of tires (front and read). With an AWD and only two snow chains I would put them up front.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[QUOTE=ImolaRedM;217648]
All four tires has to be the same.

Do not even thing about something else.

And the most important rule is to always have the best
tires on the rear wheels, this is the rule if you have a FWD!
Old 01-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by SG535d' post='217580' date='Dec 31 2005, 09:25 AM
Agreed. I fit (4!) winter tyres to all rear wheel cars in my company, and *everyone* who uses them comments on the remarkable difference.
What tyres do you fit? And are they on RF rims?
Old 01-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='217943
Agreed. I fit (4!) winter tyres to all rear wheel cars in my company, and *everyone* who uses them comments on the remarkable difference.
What tyres do you fit? And are they on RF rims?
[/quote]

Vredestein Wintrac Extremes. They are fitted to the standard Sport rims that came with the car (135Ms?).

Other than being a pain in the ass to get the RF tyres off, the rims have caused no problem. And remembering to reset the flat tyre sensor.