E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Handling in snow/ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:00 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Znod' post='216458
Just want to say - watch out!

Here in the UK we're having a cold snap of snow and ice and believe me 275 section tyres (Summer PS2's) don't like it!!!

However, haven't lost control yet Tested out ABS a few times and avoided someone else who decided they wanted to drift into the kerb! Gave it some throttle on a quiet road and got some sideways movement - remained controllable with the DSC kicking in but if something was coming the other way I'd been in trouble! (Didn't do it again after that!)

500Nm and 275 section tyres not ideal in the snow
Hi colej: We are on our way to London on the 29th. We'll be spending about 4 nights in London? How are the prospects of landing safely? Boy, I am looking forward to the snow, but not ice. How is the weather in Paris and Brussels? Here we come ready or not.
[/quote]

I live about 12 miles from Heathrow and its all fine around here. Very little snowfall and most of it has already melted away from the roads. Assuming you are staying in Central London - very little snowfall anyway and when it does fall most of it melts away pretty quickly.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Sunny but very cold in Scotland today.

Had to pull a trailer uphill out of a friend's street. In the absence of an X model in the UK (and my previous quattro 4wd) was forced to try to pull the trailer up by hand then use a long rope due to lack of grip. Cold but un-cool !

PS I find the (original) runflats very hard in cold weather and hence even worse grip. The standard wheels and normal tires are much stickier in cold weather (though still not magic in ice)
Old 12-28-2005, 01:17 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='216475' date='Dec 28 2005, 10:07 PM
Sunny but very cold in Scotland today.

Had to pull a trailer uphill out of a friend's street. In the absence of an X model in the UK (and my previous quattro 4wd) was forced to try to pull the trailer up by hand then use a long rope due to lack of grip. Cold but un-cool !

PS I find the (original) runflats very hard in cold weather and hence even worse grip. The standard wheels and normal tires are much stickier in cold weather (though still not magic in ice)

That interesting - why don't BMW offer an X model in the UK ? My sister lives up in Newcastle and the place gets bombarded with snow every winter - infact she mentioned that they had a blizzard this evening and it took her 40 mins to get home from Metrocentre rather than the usual 10. I told her she should have bought a BMW rather than the Jaguar XJ8 her husband just bought
Old 12-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by SKK' post='216473
Originally Posted by colejl' post='216435' date='Dec 28 2005, 04:08 PM

Here in the UK we're having a cold snap of snow and ice and believe me 275 section tyres (Summer PS2's) don't like it!!!

However, haven't lost control yet Tested out ABS a few times and avoided someone else who decided they wanted to drift into the kerb! Gave it some throttle on a quiet road and got some sideways movement - remained controllable with the DSC kicking in but if something was coming the other way I'd been in trouble! (Didn't do it again after that!)

Hi colej: We are on our way to London on the 29th. We'll be spending about 4 nights in London? How are the prospects of landing safely? Boy, I am looking forward to the snow, but not ice. How is the weather in Paris and Brussels? Here we come ready or not.
I live about 12 miles from Heathrow and its all fine around here. Very little snowfall and most of it has already melted away from the roads. Assuming you are staying in Central London - very little snowfall anyway and when it does fall most of it melts away pretty quickly.
[/quote]Thanks much SKK. I am hoping to see a little snow, but to avoid danger from it. And, I don't want to be snowed in on the way out--although what's a few days more provided we have a nice warm hotel room. Oh, and we'll be staying in the V&A Museum/Harrod's area. So, the snow probably is long gone.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='216473
Originally Posted by colejl' post='216435' date='Dec 28 2005, 04:08 PM

[/quote]
The forecast looks like lots of snow everywhere! Might even be able to avoid work

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='216442
My VW Polo is fab in the snow
My wife has one too but it's got 205 section tyres! Probably not that great in the snow either!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by colejl' post='216493
Originally Posted by Znod' post='216458' date='Dec 28 2005, 09:34 PM
[quote name='colejl' post='216435' date='Dec 28 2005, 04:08 PM']

[/quote]
The forecast looks like lots of snow everywhere! Might even be able to avoid work

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='216442
My VW Polo is fab in the snow
My wife has one too but it's got 205 section tyres! Probably not that great in the snow either!
[/quote]
But, we're coming to London and points beyond to avoid work not play. Still, I'd like to be in some snow.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:15 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Znod,

Good place to stay. A bit off topic and you have probably been here loads of times before but taking (your location into account) some restaurant recommendations are -

Italian - Zafferano's (just behind Harrods)
Indian - Amaya (just behind Zafferano's!)
Chinese - Hakkasan (off Tottenham Court Road)
French - Gordon Ramsay at Claridges (not the one in Chelsea)

If you drop down to Windsor stop in for lunch at the Waterside Inn (it's run by the Roux brothers and has delightful food). Whilst down there if you are feeling really adventurous try the Fat Duck - it's more chemistry than food - you will have never seen a menu like it - I havent been down there myself but my colleagues swear by it (on the other hand my wife found some of the menu to be repulsive http://www.fatduck.co.uk/ ).

Food and my large belly are more important to me than my beemer
Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='216502' date='Dec 28 2005, 06:15 PM
Znod,

Good place to stay. A bit off topic and you have probably been here loads of times before but taking (your location into account) some restaurant recommendations are -

Italian - Zafferano's (just behind Harrods)
Indian - Amaya (just behind Zafferano's!)
Chinese - Hakkasan (off Tottenham Court Road)
French - Gordon Ramsay at Claridges (not the one in Chelsea)

If you drop down to Windsor stop in for lunch at the Waterside Inn (it's run by the Roux brothers and has delightful food). Whilst down there if you are feeling really adventurous try the Fat Duck - it's more chemistry than food - you will have never seen a menu like it - I havent been down there myself but my colleagues swear by it (on the other hand my wife found some of the menu to be repulsive http://www.fatduck.co.uk/ ).

Food and my large belly are more important to me than my beemer
Thanks for the recommendations. We have been to Zafferano's and many of the resturants in the V&A/Harrod's area. I can't remember the names of most except that we like the Pasterria (sp?) on what's the Harrod's street (Kightsbridge? Bromton Road?), the resturant in the "Michelin Building," and PJ's down Fulham or Old Bromton or one of the roads in that area. There also is an Asian resturant near the Rembrant Hotel that we have enjoyed. What's your recommendation for an "authentic" English resturant. Right now I can't think of the name of the one we have enjoyed several times in the Covent Gardens area--oh, Porter's I now think.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Members

I've been driving fivers since 1992 on low section wide tires, and IMHO you must be bonkers to leave them on in winter. come on, get real, if not to protect your beautiful, expensive, car, do it for the sake of other peoples' children: buy wintertires!!! independend tests show that a fiveseries on standard tyres, hitting the brakes at 30 mph on a snow covered surface, although equiped with all the electronic goodies, is still doing 22 mph the moment the same car equiped with wintertires has come to a full stop.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

Have to say that the 172's just act like ski's in this weather here in UK. OK we don't get too much snow in the East but you need to be really careful with any surface snow or slush at the moment!

Quick Reply: Handling in snow/ice