E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Had To Share

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I didn't want to jack anyone else's thread, but I had to share this. Last night some guy in a new Acura TL SH-AWD thought he could take my '07 550i...well, I was willing to play his game

He was doing the whole engine rev thing at the stop light and my 8 year-old son just looked at him and laughed. Well, I simply moved my trans lever to the left and proceeded to smoke him in DS...that thing was quick from the start, but after about 50 feet, my 550i pulled away from him like he was standing still. I had my sunroof and front windows open (it was a nice night last night) and could hear his car screaming and trying to go faster...both my son and me had huge grins on our faces but I have to admit, I was shocked at how quick that thing is. Probably could have spanked him a little bit more soundly if I didn't have about 200 pounds of extra 'stuff' in my car right now as I cleaned out my office yesterday in route to my new job.

Just thought I'd share as this is the first time someone actually stood-up to the 550 and it easily proved itself.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by PanPanks' post='978150' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:16 AM
I didn't want to jack anyone else's thread, but I had to share this. Last night some guy in a new Acura TL SH-AWD thought he could take my '07 550i...well, I was willing to play his game

He was doing the whole engine rev thing at the stop light and my 8 year-old son just looked at him and laughed. Well, I simply moved my trans lever to the left and proceeded to smoke him in DS...that thing was quick from the start, but after about 50 feet, my 550i pulled away from him like he was standing still. I had my sunroof and front windows open (it was a nice night last night) and could hear his car screaming and trying to go faster...both my son and me had huge grins on our faces but I have to admit, I was shocked at how quick that thing is. Probably could have spanked him a little bit more soundly if I didn't have about 200 pounds of extra 'stuff' in my car right now as I cleaned out my office yesterday in route to my new job.

Just thought I'd share as this is the first time someone actually stood-up to the 550 and it easily proved itself.
The TL SH-AWD does not have great acceleration times. It is no surprise that you demolished him. It is not even a close contest.

Go 550!
Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior

This is how I type when I am proud
Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

The TL's AWD probably gave him a good launch. After that it was all over.
I out ran a previous gen TL, starting in 2nd. I was along side a lady in one at a light. Didn't expect a race so I started in D's default 2nd gear. She takes off and gets a car length on me. By 45 I had caught her and by 65 and shifting to 3rd it was all over.

Its a shame they finished a 4 lane highway in my area. Before, it merged into a single lane 200 yards past a light. There was ALWAYS a race to the merge. In 3 years, my E39 M5 only lost twice (once to a Vette when I had a can of gas in the trunk and didn't want to race (of course, the dumb luck), and once to a state trooper whom I let win). The 550i didn't loose in the 6 months prior to them finishing the extra lanes. I always hoped for a worthy challenge but it was more fun to hear a Camry or mininvan revving at the light, hoping to beat the M5. I always gave it my best just to show how futile their attempt was.... One had crept 1/2 across the intersection before the green. I still beat him to the other side of the intersection and was long gone soon after.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='978184' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:57 AM
I out ran a previous gen TL, starting in 2nd. I was along side a lady in one at a light. Didn't expect a race so I started in D's default 2nd gear. She takes off and gets a car length on me. By 45 I had caught her and by 65 and shifting to 3rd it was all over.

Its a shame they finished a 4 lane highway in my area. Before, it merged into a single lane 200 yards past a light. There was ALWAYS a race to the merge. In 3 years, my E39 M5 only lost twice (once to a Vette when I had a can of gas in the trunk and didn't want to race (of course, the dumb luck), and once to a state trooper whom I let win). The 550i didn't loose in the 6 months prior to them finishing the extra lanes. I always hoped for a worthy challenge but it was more fun to hear a Camry or mininvan revving at the light, hoping to beat the M5. I always gave it my best just to show how futile their attempt was.... One had crept 1/2 across the intersection before the green. I still beat him to the other side of the intersection and was long gone soon after.

Good job!!! but taking on a State Trooper.......
Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

It makes sense and costs less to let the State Trooper wins. Good move!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by PanPanks' post='978150' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:16 AM

Great story. Those TL (especially the Type S = ASS) owners are always looking to race. Go figure.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by South Pasadena' post='978237' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:58 AM
Good job!!! but taking on a State Trooper.......
I came within 1 second of doing just that. It was dark. I was at the light. He was approaching the light but I couldn't tell what kind of car it was. I was in sport, DSC off, rev'd to 1800 RPMS, and ready to dump the clutch once the light turned. Thank goodness, the light was red just long enough for him to pull along side and for me to see the light bar, less than 1 second before it turned green and I would have done a full burnout launch........
Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Members

This is exactly what happened at the first light, at the second light, it was totally on with the dude revving his engine and the whole nine yards...it was great
Old 08-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Nobody beats an E60, nobody!!

Quick Reply: Had To Share