E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Had my first problem with my 5451a

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving along the Garden State Pkway in New Jersey on the way to work this morning, when my I-Drive displayed the warning BRAKE SIGNAL FAULT. Pulled over to the right lane and hit my brakes, but felt nothing unusal. Next the car starting bucking and slowing down, stepping on the gas pedal had no effect. Managed to coast off the side of the parkway and came to a stop right down the road from BMW's Headquarters of all places.
Hit the BMW emergency assist button and had a parkway flat-bed tow truck there in about a half hour and he dropped it off at a BMW dealer about 20 miles away.
Interesting how a Brake Signal Fault warning did not effect the brakes, but did cut the power of the car so that it just about came to a stop. Go figure. Anyway BMW has the car and is updating the softwear. Of course when they test drove it the warning was gone
and the car drove normally. Another case of re-booting and letting some time pass curing a problem? Got me. They say the computer did show a fault occured in the traction control and maybe that shut the car down. Man, these cars are complex. Anyhow, I was due for my first oil change (12,000 miles) and the fixes for the recalls so I got that done at the same time. See where we go from here. Find out more when I get the car back.
Has anyone else had a Brake Signal Fault problem?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I've got the same problem yesterday. When I was putting my car to parking, gear box position P, it shown that yellow gear and smth like "Break Signal Fault, the gear may be switched without pressing brake pad. Go to nearest BMW service". Then it happened about 10 times and A/T gear box switched to fault mode showing red gear sign with exclamation inside, and started to go on 3rd gear. Tomorrow I will go to BMW service... Jesus, why they put Windows CE into the car system.
How complex is ths problem?

Best wishes,

Karl Tiller
karlt81@gmail.com