E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Guys with jet black

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomad' date='Dec 6 2004, 04:20 PM
Join the club.

I was stupid enough to put my car in for SupaGard. The same sort of protection. I even paid for the privilege. Anyways, I pick the car up after the application of this stuff and the paintwork is ruined!!

The swirl marks are truly undescribable, but mine can only be seen at night when artificial light is reflected off it, or in very bright sunshine.

The car has already been to the body shop but this didn't help. They gave it a polish which didn't do anything.

The car is going back again, to be looked at by the SupaGard people. I've already been discussing with the salesperson what my options are. I've told them the car needs a complete respray or they need to either give me a new car or refund my money.

I AM GUTTED. DEVASTATED. WEAK. DESTROYED.... blah blah blah.

Learn from me. STEER CLEAR OF ALL THESE PAINT PROTECTION NONSENSES. YOU WILL HAVE A WARRANTY FOR THE ORIGINAL BMW PAINTWORK. PLEASE BE HAPPY WITH IT. WHEN THESE PROTECTION THINGIES WORK THEY MAY BE FANTASTIC, BUT WHEN THEY GO WRONG YOU ARE IN DEEP SAUSAGES!!!

And yes. All those 'capitals' means that I AM SHOUTING!!

(I believe you can all 'feel my pain')
[snapback]65716[/snapback]

How come they can't be removed? Did they take a brillo pad to your car or something? I had a couple of those on my car as well. The detail shop said they couldn't do anything. Took it to a high-end body shop and they wet-sanded it out - looks perfect now (Slipped the guy $30 on the down-low). This is obviously a job for the professional!
Old 12-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Swirl-marks can be removed, but only by a real pro who knows what he's doing!
Old 12-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 6 2004, 05:46 PM
[snapback]65724[/snapback]
Take a Porter-cable 7424, some sonus pads and some Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish -- this should remove a substantial portion of the swirl marks. Remember, with black, you'll always have swirls, no matter how meticulous you are. Anyway, you should be able to find these products at properautocare.com, as well as instructions on how to use these products. Call me in the morning with any questions.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Members

The car does not come from the factory with "swirl" or "webbing" marks. The finish from the factory is like black ice -- smooth and deep. The marks you describe are the result of improper towels, chamois or other cloths being used on the paint. These cause the marks you describe.

You could try using Zymol products to get rid of them. It's an involved process, but be sure to accurately follow what Zymol recommends. Use their drying towels and don't rub in circles -- thus, the "webbing". I had a similar problem and was able to get them out on an earlier (E39) BMW I had.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 6 2004, 05:46 PM
[snapback]65724[/snapback]
Absolutely agree. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME! Find a good paint shop, and have them wet-sand the car if the swirl marks are truly bad. They will be able to remove all the swirls if they are not real scratches. Then have the dealer pay for it.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Members

The day I picked up my car, I noticed swirl marks on it (orient blue - dark blue). I had mixed emotions, I was pissed about the fact that I had swirl marks on my brand new car; however, I was excited about my 545i being delivered!

I took the car the next day to a great car detailer who got the swirls out.