E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greyhound shipping - horrible

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Anyone using Grey hound takes it for what it is, It is a chance you take. I've used it before with no problems. They are in the people moving business as Tony mentioned, Shipping is just an extra way to make some cash. Anyone who orders from Umnitza is probably aware of the shipping options.

In this case, The onus is CLEARLY on Umnitza. They made the mistake but the customer has to bear the burden. What are they doing to remedy the situation THEY caused? This company has had too many complaints, someone needs to step up.

Last edited by Gee_115; 05-17-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Just a general break down for some of you saying "fedex" is the way to go and Amazon wouldn't do that, etc.

Amazon not only ships more in 1 day then most companies ship in a year, in some cases they ship more in 1 hour than most people ship in a year. That kind of "clout" with the shipping companies isn't easily achieved.

Also, Amazon's vendors who ship with "free" shipping simply roll it into the price of the product.

Fedex shipping rates (ignoring our 30-40% for the minute):
James' package is roughly 84/24/26 (it's a little bit larger but look at the quote below): $1800+ to ship with Fedex retail. So $1000 to ship Wholesale.

Let's take a random front bumper, also see below, 72/20/26 is $275.

You simply cannot "recall" a GPX shipment, once it's paid for, it's paid for. And you cannot simply repackage the same parts because a) they are painted b) the packaging takes hours to do. This is not some book or even a pre-packaged TV. This is actually a custom package.

Originally Posted by image969
In this paticular thread I was not blaming Umnitza for Greyhound. Umnitza forgot to tag it as fedex when I had already paid for door to door. That was a mistake and bumper would already be on my car. But this was clearly to bash greyhound. Not sure what other companies use them but they are terrible.

FYI. As of tonight. My package is still in Denver.. Still not even half way across country. Day 15 since shipped out.

Still has to go to Chicago, NY, and then RI.
We'll have a chat with GPX on Monday to see if we can't light a little fire under them.

Originally Posted by jayarras
With 3000+ shipments logged, I would think that you are probably one of Greyhound's biggest shippers. To be truthful, I have never heard of another company using Greyhound. That's not to say that it isn't done. I'd love to learn who else does.

So as one of Greyhound's better customers, don't you think you have some kind of clout with them? In any other industry, if one of your biggest and best customers complains, you better listen! The consequences? They take their business elsewhere. This is what you should be doing here. With so many complaints, if it were my business, I wouldn't put up with it. Competition is too fierce these days and customers have many choices. When their shipping business starts to decline, just maybe they'll take notice.
You're making an assumption we're one of their better shippers. We aren't. In NorCal we're only in the top 10. When we visit we see many companies using Greyhound:
Bumper shippers, Bicycle Shops, Furniture & Mattress Retailers, Lawn Equipment Retailers. Just because a lot of people get stuck paying excessive fees with Fedex, Fedex Freight, and other LTL style carriers doesn't make GPX a poor alternative.

Yes, that's what I'm saying... Greyhound should be slammed for being such a shi**y carrier. But in addition, in this particular instance, what a top-notch vendor would have done was:

1. Ship you another bumper FedEx on their dime since it was their mistake.
2. Asked you to ship the first bumper back to them FedEx with a prepaid label once it arrived.

That's what Amazon does whenever they happen to send you a defective or incorrect product. They don't just wait for things to resolve themselves.
See comments above. This is an idealistic and impossible. I'd love to have our packages arrive via magic beans, in an envelope, sprinkle water on it, and it magically installs itself on the car, but that won't happen.

Originally Posted by tonyb635
The only thing you have to consider is that Greyhound is a people hauler not a package hauler. What would happen if one were to purchase a ticket and when they arrive for departure they are told they don't have any space for their luggage because they have Umnitza bumper on board? I thing Greyhound has found a niche to make a little extra money but again, it like space available. When I ordered mine, it took a long time as well but it was no big deal to me because I wasn't in a hurry for them. I assume people are aware that they have an option to choose the shipping method as the OP did for additional costs, but looks like it was mistakenly shipped via GH. That's something that the OP should address with the vendor. If they are looking to keep cost down, then there is that risk of the package being delayed if the decision is to use GH.
Well stated. Just to point out however, GPX actually makes more money shipping packages and are actually one of the largest large package LTLs in the country. Of course, public relations precludes them from asking people to not board a bus because packages must go first - how do you tell a little old lady heading up to see her grandkids that the bus she's going on has an urgent bumper loaded on it for a car in a body shop...

We did speak to James, he understood the decision on the phone. We tried our best to accommodate the situation and immediately refunded the difference.

That's a hell of a business model: "We'll take on your package if we have room. And if we don't? We'll, you'll just have to wait because ya know, we're really in the people-mover business and we're just trying to make an extra buck off of you if we can."

Let me ask you (because I have never done business with Umnitza), did they CHARGE you for shipping? Sounds like, yeah, we won't charge you for shipping because we don't really have a clue when your purchase will arrive from Greyhound, but if you want it by a certain date, we do offer FedEx or UPS at a certain charge.

Bottom line: Shame on Umnitza for putting up with Greyhound's lousy shipping service and shame on any Umnitza customer who would put up with having their purchase shipped this way unless, as I said before, shipping is free and the customer is well-aware that there may be a big delivery delay.
Shipping a bumper cannot be free. It's impossible unless we "fold it into the cost of the bumper" and that is also nearly impossible due to the varied sizes and packaging dimensions of bumpers.

If you want to discuss this further - it sounds like you have some good ideas and opinions on this, I'm interested to hear if you've shipped a lot before and what options you think would work Give us a call if you have some free time to devote to it, we've tried a few, and been unlucky with most. There is one we've not tried but their business model is funky (bongous - Bongo US).
Attached Thumbnails Greyhound shipping - horrible-not-fudged.jpg   Greyhound shipping - horrible-fudged-fedex.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah there's no need to debate about Greyhoud for shipping. You use it or you don't and it's variably timed with passenger luggage taking priority over packages. I believe it's simply there to provide a much cheaper alternative to going with FedEx/UPS/DHL. The gripe is with Greyhound for the speed, which is annoying but not much that can be done about that. The other main issue is this was apparently supposed to be FedEx'd and not Greyhounded (ha!). Sounds like that was the main mistake but stuff happens. </thread>
Old 05-20-2014, 03:30 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: FX35 Supercharged

GH has always been like this. I remember years ago a fella posted on another car forum that it took 30 days for him to get his package. From the looks of it not much has changed.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 AM
New Members

Giving my update. It is now the 21st. Tracking STILL says Denver. Not even half way cross country to its destination. I kind of wish I never ordered anything at all.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

James,

We continue to monitor this shipment with you. We just got off the phone with Pat (who is back from vacation) and she said that due to the sheer size of the box, they were having a hard time to get it onto buses. She did confirm just now that the product is not in Denver and the distance to the final destination being 2000+ miles away, she said that it should be arriving by Friday this week.

We will keep you updated whenever we have updates or if you can email us when you receive it because the system will not likely show us an arrival.

Additionally, I recommend making a little call to the RI station once daily with the tracking number over the next few days on your side to get them to immediately notify you once it's there.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 PM
New Members

i appreciate the info Mat(Or whoever monitors this stie from Umnitza), but there's no way in hell the bumper will be here Friday. Two days from now.. Perhaps they meant the next stop in Chicago? I dunno.
but its been 6 days since it left Denver from whqat Greyhound told me. .and what tracking tells me. So if it's not at its next destination by now someone must be taking my bumper by bicycle.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Members

Mine was shipped on the 18th, let's see who gets their bumpers' first lol
Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 PM
New Members

lol I wish you luck and better speed then mine. lol
Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 AM
New Members

After 26 days, I have finally got the call that my stuff is in.. I shall give one final reply, after inspecting and making sure everything is the way it should be.

Quick Reply: Greyhound shipping - horrible