E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got my car back today

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Sep 1 2005, 03:34 AM
Thanks Rudy! These answers have been most helpful. I thought I remembered Stream mentioning somewhere that his steering wheel was off due to a software update.

Any idea if the AS recalibration can be fixed while I wait??

Thanks,
[snapback]165840[/snapback]
When I had the aux input installed, they (without my asking) updated CIP to 17.01. Some (not all) of the settings were erased, but when I got home I thought to try using my other key, and after starting the car, turning it off, locking and unlocking the car, the settings were back. Then I used the other key and the settings transferred to it.

My steering wheel was off center to the left, probably 10 degrees when I picked up the car from the aux input install (noticed it the next day on the highway). I spoke to the service director and arranged for them to recalibrate the steering while I waited (took under an hour from the time I stepped out of the car). I noticed a few weeks ago that my steering is still off center, though very slightly, so I'll have that take care of next time I have the car in for service (probably at 7,500 miles for oil/filter change).
Old 09-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 1 2005, 06:21 PM
My steering wheel was off center to the left, probably 10 degrees when I picked up the car from the aux input install (noticed it the next day on the highway).? I spoke to the service director and arranged for them to recalibrate the steering while I waited (took under an hour from the time I stepped out of the car).? I noticed a few weeks ago that my steering is still off center, though very slightly, so I'll have that take care of next time I have the car in for service (probably at 7,500 miles for oil/filter change).
[snapback]166131[/snapback]
stream,
Could you explain what this is about the steering wheel?

I've read others complaining of this and I'm not sure I follow what the issue is here. Is this a problem that occurs when the car is parked and the BMW roundel in the center of the steering wheel is not perfectly upright when the steering wheel locks? Or is this an issue with alignment, meaning you are driving straight ahead, in a straight line but the steering wheel is turned slightly? Maybe something different altogether?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

When the Active Steering needs recalibrated or reset, the steering wheel is turned slightly while driving straight. Sometimes it can be off just a millimeter or two. Other times it can be off much more.

Either way, it's an easy fix (thankfully).
Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 1 2005, 09:46 PM
When the Active Steering needs recalibrated or reset, the steering wheel is turned slightly while driving straight.? Sometimes it can be off just a millimeter or two.? Other times it can be off much more.

Either way, it's an easy fix (thankfully).
[snapback]166168[/snapback]
OK, so similar to "alignment" issues with cars that don't have active steering...that is, driving straight ahead but with the steering wheel slightly turned one way or the other.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You got it!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Sep 1 2005, 09:36 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Sep 1 2005, 06:21 PM']My steering wheel was off center to the left, probably 10 degrees when I picked up the car from the aux input install (noticed it the next day on the highway).? I spoke to the service director and arranged for them to recalibrate the steering while I waited (took under an hour from the time I stepped out of the car).? I noticed a few weeks ago that my steering is still off center, though very slightly, so I'll have that take care of next time I have the car in for service (probably at 7,500 miles for oil/filter change).
[snapback]166131[/snapback]
stream,
Could you explain what this is about the steering wheel?

I've read others complaining of this and I'm not sure I follow what the issue is here. Is this a problem that occurs when the car is parked and the BMW roundel in the center of the steering wheel is not perfectly upright when the steering wheel locks? Or is this an issue with alignment, meaning you are driving straight ahead, in a straight line but the steering wheel is turned slightly? Maybe something different altogether?
[snapback]166164[/snapback]
[/quote]

The car doesn't pull to the side, but when driving straight, instead of the top of the steering wheel pointing to 12:00, at first it was around 11:30--now it's closer to 11:45--still off a bit. Since active steering is an electronically controlled system, they need to recalibrate it after updating the CIP. They attach a device to the steering mechanism to hold it straight and recalibrate the AS.