E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

The dealership just replaced the 2nd CCC (the car's central computer) on my current 2004 525i IN TWO MONTHS. I can only imagine what that costs! :'(

For those of you keeping your car longer than 4 yrs or 50k miles, you should look into it. I know it can cost a couple thousand bucks, but it will be worth it on this unreliable car (and one full of expensive technology).
Old 09-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Ugh. :'(
You had to go and bring up the Extended Maintenance scare, hun 555?

My current 328i has gone 170K miles and had minor hiccups here and there; HOWEVER, it certainly wasn't an SMG nor did it have all the other options of my upcoming 530i!

I think everyone feels that an extend warranty is not a good idea (EXCEPT FOR THE E60!).

So, anyone out there know what one costs? I'm not leasing my vehicle so I might just need to consider it.

-Tony
Old 09-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Cn we still go back and get the extended warranty? There are soooo many aftermarket warranrty out there but none of them are good. they have microscopic terms and conditions where they wont cover anything. And I thought it was hard to get the exact dealer warranty after we've got the car, (just like the 4 year 50K warranty)
Old 09-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins

no it is not hard to get but it is expensive just talked to my SA about it last week and to get the extended extended maintainance warrenty it is 1600 dollars and has to be done before 30,000 miles and BMW may be pulling in the reins on extending it as he said ther are a couple of memos out on it but they still offer it. As for the extended warrenty it is 2600.00 dollars for the 7 year 1000 thousand mile warrenty it is by a outside company affiliated with BMW starts with the letter ji will look it up later. He stated that the BMW warrenty does not cover what this one does so total 3200 dollars for the both of them and i think they are a naccesaty if you plane to keep the car currently saving for yet another major purchase for something that i love
Old 09-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

Originally Posted by 555' date='Sep 24 2005, 04:23 PM
The dealership just replaced the 2nd CCC (the car's central computer) on my current 2004 525i IN TWO MONTHS.? I can only imagine what that costs!? :'(

For those of you keeping your car longer than 4 yrs or 50k miles, you should look into it.? I know it can cost a couple thousand bucks, but it will be worth it on this unreliable car (and one full of expensive technology).
[snapback]174577[/snapback]

I would never spend $2500 for an extended warranty. I rather save the money in a saving account of my own and use that money to get it fix if the car breaks down.

Those that buy the warranty wishes that their cars break down so they can justify it
Old 09-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributors

The extended car warranty seems worth it's price...if you do keep it LONG term. Just the cost of regular tune-ups, will make the warranty worth it's cost.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

That is USUALLY the case, Aaron, but not in the E60 case. Again, I have had two CCCs replaced in two months. And that's just my last two service visits! I've had countless other problems as well.

An extended warranty on an E60 is flat out a good by if you're keeping the car long term. Cars with tons of technology are money pits when a warranty runs out. All the little parts are expensive and we all know what labor runs. Just think about the software updates alone and how long those take.

My recommendation: Buy the one your local dealer sells. Those usually cover most problems. If you go surf the net and find another one, you may find that your dealer will tell you that the company won't cover the repair. I had this same scenario play out with my Porsche Boxster. AND.... That car was a freakin fortune to repair since it also had Nav.

I will probably get one from my local dealer for my forthcoming 530. Just in due time (i.e. not immediately).

Originally Posted by BMW.Aaron.TeamF1' date='Sep 24 2005, 08:50 PM
[quote name='555' date='Sep 24 2005, 04:23 PM']The dealership just replaced the 2nd CCC (the car's central computer) on my current 2004 525i IN TWO MONTHS.? I can only imagine what that costs!? :'(

For those of you keeping your car longer than 4 yrs or 50k miles, you should look into it.? I know it can cost a couple thousand bucks, but it will be worth it on this unreliable car (and one full of expensive technology).
[snapback]174577[/snapback]

I would never spend $2500 for an extended warranty. I rather save the money in a saving account of my own and use that money to get it fix if the car breaks down.

Those that buy the warranty wishes that their cars break down so they can justify it
[snapback]174618[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 09-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by buddiec' date='Sep 24 2005, 07:21 PM
no it is not hard to get but it is expensive just talked to my SA about it last week and to get the extended extended maintainance warrenty it is 1600 dollars and has to be done before 30,000 miles and BMW may be pulling in the reins on extending it as he said ther are a couple of memos out on it but they still offer it.? As for the extended warrenty it is 2600.00 dollars for the 7 year 1000 thousand mile warrenty it is by a outside company affiliated with BMW starts with the letter ji will look it up later.? He stated that the BMW warrenty does not cover what this one does so total 3200 dollars for the both of them and i think they are a naccesaty if you plane to keep the car currently saving for yet another major purchase for something that i love
[snapback]174615[/snapback]
Ya I got the talk about the extended maintenance plan but it wasnt worth it to me as I do not put enough miles on it after the 4 years 50K maintence to bump it to 6 years...

BUT as for the $2600 WARRANTY "outside company" how good is that? Will they cover EVERYTHING? just like how the BMW warranty does? software upgrade if theres a problem... fix rattles and squeeks... SMG control failure... Engine problems? Will we be able to take it to a BMW dealer to get it fixed? or their own "recommended" shop?

BY then 4 years Rattles and squeeks will be the least of my worries... but mechanical problems like engine, transmission, and other on board computers are whats scary!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributors

I was offered the extended BMW warranty (6 years / 100,000 miles) for $3,249 and the extended maintenance (6/100k) for $1,595 with the purchse of my soon-to-be-delivered E60.

I was told I could purchase these at any time up through the expiration of the standard warranty & maintenance period. So I said "thank you, not at this time."
Old 09-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tachyon' date='Sep 24 2005, 08:41 PM
I was offered the extended BMW warranty (6 years / 100,000 miles) for $3,249
[snapback]174627[/snapback]
WOW thats expensive for only 2 years extra! I can risk $3K for 2 years... well depends what the shape the car is in when year #4 is approaching...

Quick Reply: Got an extended warranty?