E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got a 2006 525i and was hit by a...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All, Ive never really introduced myself to these forums, as I just been lurking around for a while. Well about 30 days ago I purchased a 2006 525i.
When I bought the car the clear coat on the hood had vanished but I had gotten the car for a good price.

Yesterday afternoon I was going about 70 on the highway on my way to work and this random piece of tire/plastic flies out of nowhere and hits my bumper on the right/passenger side.
I was running late for work so I didn't check for damage until I got off work. When I got off work and sat in my car and turned it on I got the right parking lamp malfunction iDrive error message.
The passenger side parking lamp closest to the grill doesn't turn on
The foglight is also broken out of its place, Headlight plastic was cracked. On the hood near the right had deep scratches, as well as tire marks and chip of plastic.

My insurance agent told me that this would be covered under my comprehensive coverage and she told me to take it to local BMW dealer (Tom Williams) Collision center to get estimates.

Just wondering if theres anything I should be aware of before taking it to get the estimate. Anyway to change my lights from pre-lci halogens to xenon? Will they repaint the bumper or replace it? M5 bumper?
Im a noob at this stuff so any input will be helpful!!!

Fog Light broken off inside hole

top part of bumper has deep scratches

I was going to get my headlights restored next week to but now the plastic has cracked and scratched with tire marks
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

First, welcome to our humble forum. Second, just be glad that no one was hurt when you hit that piece of tire. It looks like a good opportunity to get the headlights restored (which can be done yourself, I did mine a few weeks back) and get the paint renewed.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 528i Space Gray | Premium Package | Sports Package | Navigation

those headlights need some serious TLC
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Damn dude what is it with crap on the highway?? Same thing happend to me last week but destroyed my bumper. I ended up going with M5 bumper and got the sideskirts. It will be around $650 for the paint and install, and I paid $600 for the bumper/skirts. I didn't bother using insurance so my rates don't go up and my deductible is so high anyway.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

It's kinda hard to tell. Looks like the first pic with the large spot on the hood might have some slight metal damage or a shallow dent and the second pic to show a little damage to the fender. If so, they would need be repaired or replaced. If not, it's possible that buffing can take it away or lastly repainting. As for your bumper, I only see that the fog is broken. You need to makes that the adjuster looks up underneath and checks to see if the fog bracket mounts etc are broken. If this is the case they will replace the bumper. If he doesn't look he may only give you the cost of the light and of course if it's urns out later that it is broken then he has to come back and do another adjustment. But this might not help you if you are hoping to get a new bumper. I think I might be looking before he gets there and verifying that it IS in fact broken... You light looks rough I bet he replaces that one. The only problem would be that it won't match the other side. Are you sure that this big ass piece of rubber didn't hit them both? I think I would be looking a bit harder to see. Or, you can always sweet talk the adjuster into replacing the other so it does match. That one might be a little difficult but still possible.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Members

i would have gone to a reputable body shop and/or dent repair facility first and cutting out the insurance co. but to each his own...hope it works out for ya.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Members

Thanks for feedback guys!! Just got back from the BMW collision center and they gave me an estimate of $3,461.
Replacing the bumper, fog light, both headlight assemblies and repainting (hood, sides, and bumper)

Since its under my comprehensive coverage, she said I dont have to pay anything.
But the guy at BMW told me to strip the hood it would be $250, since insurance didn't cover it.. I told him OK because I needed hood redone

and yes my headlights were really really bad
Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Here's my take on it. The headlights aren't a problem...do not look cracked just scratched. They are heavily oxidized anyway. You can restore yourself, see the DIY I did. http://forums.5serie..._1#entry1219562

Get them prepped and then ask the company that paints your car to also clearcoat your head light when they clear the car.
They do not need to do anything special for the paint besides sand it down, no stripping etc. If the foglight is not broken then just keep it for the next bumper. If bumper is not broken then don't worry. I mean they're going to cut YOU a check for the $3461 unless you signed a waiver to have the insurance pay the repair shop directly. I bet you did because they are crooks like that. Get your check and go somewhere else because this is not much damage. To paint the whole car would probably cost you about 2K or less anyway. So you could have the whole car redone for about $2500 and pocket the rest for upgrades. But if you don't care, then do what you want.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

+1 on Achtung, I would take it somewhere else too. If you do decide to to go through and have them do it, I believe you could negotiate that hood into the total cost. They are just taking you for a little ride... I'm not sure why you need the hood stripped, is the paint that damaged? Looks like some scratches or something. If you are cracked, thats a different story. I be willing to betcha they don't even come close to stripping, maybe a sanding the areas and then spraying it.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Here's my take on it. The headlights aren't a problem...do not look cracked just scratched. They are heavily oxidized anyway. You can restore yourself, see the DIY I did. http://forums.5serie..._1#entry1219562

Get them prepped and then ask the company that paints your car to also clearcoat your head light when they clear the car.
They do not need to do anything special for the paint besides sand it down, no stripping etc. If the foglight is not broken then just keep it for the next bumper. If bumper is not broken then don't worry. I mean they're going to cut YOU a check for the $3461 unless you signed a waiver to have the insurance pay the repair shop directly. I bet you did because they are crooks like that. Get your check and go somewhere else because this is not much damage. To paint the whole car would probably cost you about 2K or less anyway. So you could have the whole car redone for about $2500 and pocket the rest for upgrades. But if you don't care, then do what you want.

Ya they told me state farm will work with BMW directly with there estimates and everything so no check for me

I went back to his office to see if he would install Xenon lights and m5 or m sport bumper but he said it would be $1000 difference I have to pay due to brackets or something.
As far as the lights he said they can't go from halogen to xenon

EDIT: and they told me to drop the car off on July 23rd and will take 2-3 weeks for it to be repaired since they are booked

Quick Reply: Got a 2006 525i and was hit by a...