E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

glass replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52
Default glass replacement

hi
due to a small crack on the windshield glass ..i am able to replace it
my insurance will cover $1000 (labor +glass)..
i am planning in the future to do HUD RETROFIT...
if i have them replace my windshield with the one for the hud it will cause any problem to my car ( i have rain sensor and the green strip on the upper part of the windshield ) or i have to order the exact one that i have on my car right now?
p/s/ i realy want this one All sizes | BMW E60 M5 Hartge | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3469/3820947151_55e4ae03af_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@3820947151@@AMEPARAM@@55e4ae03afany input is welcome
thx u
steli
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I have the one in your first photo link. it's an infra-red M5 windshield. Pilkington. I do not have HUD, I do not have issues. I think HUD doesn't depend on the windshield. I could be wrong. The HUD is a reflection and I don't see what the problem would be with a reflection. I've used my cell phone as a hud and had no issues.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Glass replacement

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I have the one in your first photo link. it's an infra-red M5 windshield. Pilkington. I do not have HUD, I do not have issues. I think HUD doesn't depend on the windshield. I could be wrong. The HUD is a reflection and I don't see what the problem would be with a reflection. I've used my cell phone as a hud and had no issues.
HUD ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY uses a different windshield.

So, if you are planning to retro-fit HUD you might as well go ahead and order or have the special glass installed now. It won't be cheap - it's a lot more than the standard glass.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Well I do not have HUD and I don't have a problem if I use my phone as a HUD device. I don't do that but i've tested it. I have the windshield that was on the link provided. I have tried on my other bimmers and haven't had issues either. guess bmw is completely different type of HUD system.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
HUD ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY uses a different windshield.

So, if you are planning to retro-fit HUD you might as well go ahead and order or have the special glass installed now. It won't be cheap - it's a lot more than the standard glass.
Technically cars with HUD usually do have a different windshield, however, there are TONS of corvettes that use non-HUD windshields that have installed the HUD system, and it works just fine. Perhaps it's not AS good, but it will work.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

The OP's question is if he has a HUD windshield installed now without actually completing the HUD mod, will his current rain sensor work as it currently does with his non HUD glass? The rain sensors could be different. That is a good question, as I am getting ready to have my glass replaces as well. I've been told, that when they bring the glass the new sensor is already installed. I'm not sure if this is correct since this will be my first replacement. I have heard of others that after replacing the glass the sensor no longer worked. So not sure if this was caused by a bad sensor, or if they are recycling them. I will check to see if I can pay the difference because I would prefer the BMW glass to go back in instead of something from safelite or who ever they send out.

You will probably be in the same situation as I am since you are wanting to put something in that is not normally there. I imagine they would work with you and worse case maybe you have to only pay the difference.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
If you can swing it, get a Pilkington made glass windshield.

Pilkington glass is the best in the world.

Ever sit at a stop light and notice the deflection/distortion in the windshield of other vehicles around you? That's the Chinese/insurance crap (FUJIAN YANHUA (FY) based in China) that has taken over the market.

Glass is not the same! Pilkington, and some PPG, are the best in the world.

Chinese crap is just that. I don't care that it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I would much rather live with a small crack than have Chinese glass installed.

The distortion is that bad.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

If you read above, you will see that I am not the OP and i don't have complaints, and I do have an infrared pilkington.
As far as it being "the best in the world" I will not comment on. They are an OEM supplier for VAG and BMW. I don't care to have the BMW logo on it or not. The glass is the same. I have never had any glass replacements besides pilkington done so I wouldn't know about any other glass, nor do I care.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Steli -

I was able to source the non-HUD glass from my dealer for around $500. That was two years ago. At that point, the HUD-glass was only $60 or so more.

I would call the glass company and check - they should know.

PS: This may help https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...ts-list-69022/ See post 36
Old 04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

thx u guys..
ls getting more confuse
looks like the normal RLS ( the one i have right now) will not work with my future HUD retrofit .but is not clear why!
1-maybe the ACTUAL RLS will not work with the HUD parts?
or/and
2-maybe the ACTUAL RLS will not work with the HUD windshield?
as per insurance..they cover $1000(labor and parts) so i dont mind to pay the difference

to simplify the subject..
as right now i have a OEM windshield with normal RLS and that "green" tint on top part..
all i want no matter the $$ ( i will get some help for $1000 from my insurance) to change the windshield for a OEM windshield with future compatibility for a future HUD RETROFIT w/CIC NAV and if is posible but not a must ALSO TO HAVE THAT PURPLE tint as on the link on my first post..
thx u ALL
hope o dont opbset anyone.AND i dont want to have people here "fighting"
WE ALL A FAMILY HERE.. BMW FA(N)MILY )

Quick Reply: glass replacement