E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ghosts In The Machine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

The first night I brought my 550i Sport home and parked it in the garage, when I got out, there was a symphony of all sorts of machine noises that seemed to emanate from underneath the car for several seconds. If I recall, there were three distinct ones. Two of them are gone (or I just don't notice them anymore), but now everytime I open a door, any door, theres an electric motor noise from under the car.

What the heck is all the fuss about under there??
Old 11-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='491476' date='Nov 7 2007, 09:02 PM
The first night I brought my 550i Sport home and parked it in the garage, when I got out, there was a symphony of all sorts of machine noises that seemed to emanate from underneath the car for several seconds. If I recall, there were three distinct ones. Two of them are gone (or I just don't notice them anymore), but now everytime I open a door, any door, theres an electric motor noise from under the car.

The noises you are hearing when you exit the car after parking it is the car getting ready to go into sleep mode. The noises you hear when you open the door/Trunk or unlock the car is the car getting ready for operation.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi Monaco Blue Dark Burl Walnut Black Leather Comfort Package Sports Package Cold Weather Package Nav Logic 7 18" Sport Wheels Xenon Interior and License Plate Light Upgrade

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='491476' date='Nov 7 2007, 09:02 PM

I believe when you unlock the car via the FOB, the I drive begins to boot as well... So when you open the doors you are hearing all your electronics whirring and spinning...

I could be mistaken, but seemed logical to me
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='491476' date='Nov 7 2007, 07:02 PM
My car does the same thing. I, too, have thought to ask this question.

I usually notice it in the morning, when the car is in the garage. As soon as I open the driver's door, it happens. The sound is definitely *not* inside the car. Even if it was, it doesn't sound like a CD or DVD spinning up, not even close. Its more like a hydralic motor. It cycles on for about 1 second, and I think there is a light click or maybe something else. It sounds like it is coming from under the chassis, toward the rear. Something to do with dynamic drive? Maybe a fuel pump?

Maybe I should throw a microphone under the car and post the sound bite. Won't happen until I get the car back from the dealer, though. Ah, yes, and I'll need to buy a microphone.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I spent 5 hours detailing my car a few weeks back and I swore it was talking like R2D2 the whole time These cars are highly computerized and very self monitoring, so this "stuff" is going on a lot , I'm sure Rudy will give us the technical details but rest assured it is all normal ..... or as normal as new BMWs get .....Good Luck

Cheers
Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by schwim' post='491527' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:46 PM
My car does the same thing. I, too, have thought to ask this question.

I usually notice it in the morning, when the car is in the garage. As soon as I open the driver's door, it happens. The sound is definitely *not* inside the car. Even if it was, it doesn't sound like a CD or DVD spinning up, not even close. Its more like a hydralic motor. It cycles on for about 1 second, and I think there is a light click or maybe something else. It sounds like it is coming from under the chassis, toward the rear. Something to do with dynamic drive? Maybe a fuel pump?

Maybe I should throw a microphone under the car and post the sound bite. Won't happen until I get the car back from the dealer, though. Ah, yes, and I'll need to buy a microphone.
Agreed. These noises are DEFINITELY not coming from inside the car. I, too, thought maybe it was the fuel pump priming itself, but it sure is loud if that is it. Ah! I wonder if it has anything to do with the ARS? The sound is definitely coming from under the chassis, and my guess on ARS operation is that it connects/disconnects the stabilizer bars as needed while driving. Maybe they disconnect when you park and reconnect when you open a door or vice versa. I can't recall hearing a click, but that might be the click you are hearing, schwim.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 5er Sport' post='491494' date='Nov 7 2007, 09:41 PM
The noises you are hearing when you exit the car after parking it is the car getting ready to go into sleep mode. The noises you hear when you open the door/Trunk or unlock the car is the car getting ready for operation.
I can figure out that much for myself! This isn't my first car with all sorts of electronic gadgets. But it is the first one that makes all kinds of body noises on its own. BMW really takes it seriously when they call it a "Machine!" With all those noises, I wonder if it won't convert into a Battle Mech and post sentry in front of my house! How cool would that be?!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Members

I dont lock my car all the time, so how does all this stuff initiate if I dont use the FOB until I insert it into the dash and am ready to go (non-comfort access)?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black E60 530i

Originally Posted by joelk01' post='491682' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:06 AM
I dont lock my car all the time, so how does all this stuff initiate if I dont use the FOB until I insert it into the dash and am ready to go (non-comfort access)?
So your car is ever-ready
Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Members

SO it doesnt go to sleep unless it is locked?

Quick Reply: Ghosts In The Machine?