E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Getting the soft touch parts changed under warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012 | 05:01 AM
Members

I bought a CPO '09 earlier this year from a very distant dealer to me. The salesman assured me that the worn soft touch on steering wheel was under warranty, and as soon as I'd registered my vehicle I could take it in and get them changed. Today will be third visit to the local dealer and I want to be better armed with some facts. The last two mentions of it drew damn near no response, so this time I want some answers or action.

Now, is all of the soft touch under warranty? The parts on my car that show wear are the dash piece by the headlight light switch, the part around the ash tray, the steering wheel, and the driver's seat side. Should I expect them all to be covered?

Is there a formal process or is it up to my service rep to push it forward?

There is also a trim piece missing on the driver's side air vent. Hard to say that's anything but a defective part, but I guess the previous owner could have pried it out on purpose. My only other issue is some sticky radio buttons and the driver a/c temp dial is bit sticky. Probably chalk that up to the absolute joke of a cup holder up high right there.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.
Old 05-23-2012 | 05:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

^^^CPO warranty doesn't cover much more than drivetrain components. Even aftermarket warranties exclude trim pieces. You might stand a chance if what you want replaced really is defective or broken, but if it can be described as normal wear and tear then your chances of getting it replaced free are slim. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2012 | 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

When my X5 was under CPO they replaced anything i complained about. That was 2004-2007 though and times have changed with BMW. They also use to do low mileage yearly oil changes under the maintenance plan and refill consumed oil under warranty. All gone at my dealer in Nashville, TN
Old 05-23-2012 | 08:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by best1
When my X5 was under CPO they replaced anything i complained about. That was 2004-2007 though and times have changed with BMW. They also use to do low mileage yearly oil changes under the maintenance plan and refill consumed oil under warranty. All gone at my dealer in Nashville, TN

My dealer in Chicago Suburbs still does annual oil changes free under maintenance plan. Just had one done last week @ no charge and my car is 6 years old on 6/24/12. Still under the extended maintenance plan till 6/24/12.
Old 05-23-2012 | 10:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
^^^CPO warranty doesn't cover much more than drivetrain components. Even aftermarket warranties exclude trim pieces. You might stand a chance if what you want replaced really is defective or broken, but if it can be described as normal wear and tear then your chances of getting it replaced free are slim. Good luck.
I think BMW reconsidered soft touch as a whole as you don't see it nosing around the show room. They replaced both steering wheel switches completely, so now it's just up to me to take care of the new housings. I didn't even go into it about the other soft touch components since I'm the only one who notices them. Steering wheel looks nice and refreshed now. Took a pretty good amount of time with the oil change, recalled battery cable, the steering wheel components and a wash. I'm showing 10k miles until next service though, so she's ready to roll for a while.
Old 05-23-2012 | 01:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

In my experience you need to finesse CPO claims a bit... i.e. try to relate a mechanical issue with the cosmetic one you're trying to fix. I had my IHKM (climate module) replaced as "intermittant" under CPO, even though it was just nasty looking and scratched up badly by the last owner. Being polite and friendly with your SA and shop foreman work wonders...
Old 05-23-2012 | 03:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by borderchris
I had my IHKM (climate module) replaced as "intermittant" under C
you mean the IHKA.

OP- Bmw paints some of their parts that get scratched up. Don't what you have scratched exactly but if its one of those painted parts, You can usually take laquer thinner and smudge around the area a bit until the scratches blend in and disappear. Let it dry up and then you can use some armorall or equivalent on it. I've done this so many times until I started taking out the pieces stripping them of all their paint and then redoing with a non-scratch durable paint.
Old 05-23-2012 | 03:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

Achtung- Get off my nuts. I don't need your pompous, self important little mind critiquing every one of my posts. I was fixing turbine helicopters before you were even thinking about chopping lettuce at Burger King. It's not your forum- get used to it.

OP- You can definitely get the climate module replaced- Just make sure that the shop foreman relates a functional problem with the buttons and you'll be fine.
Old 05-23-2012 | 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Gettin a little testy in here, chill guys
Old 05-23-2012 | 03:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by borderchris
Achtung- Get off my nuts. I don't need your pompous, self important little mind critiquing every one of my posts. I was fixing turbine helicopters before you were even thinking about chopping lettuce at Burger King. It's not your forum- get used to it.
Aw shucks. It's not is it? If I wanted my own forum I'd just buy out this forum because its the best and most helpful. Of course its rare I ask for help but occasionally I do. I believe in sharing knowledge. CORRECT knowledge that is. As an added bonus to buying out this forum, I'd get to correct your posts and then when you reply back like you did I'd kick you out. Don't reply, I've replied to you and I'm done replying. cheers.