E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fellas quick question. When I activate the DTC setting the Idrive says "DTC activated but DSC limited" So what is DSC and why is it limited??
Attached Thumbnails DTC-binmmer314.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

DTC = dynamic traction control; DSC = dynamic stability control. Traction control handles tire spinning. Stability control handles the car sliding sideways. DTC activated means your tires will spin a little bit. The manual says this may help if you need to drive in snow. DTC normal means not letting tires spin at all. Not sure what DSC limited means, but may mean it cannot perform normally if some tire spin is allowed via DTC on. You can disable DSC entirely (which includes DTC off) by holding the DSC button depressed for several seconds. You'll get another iDrive warning when this occurs.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Here:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...n_control.html
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Members

Don't mean to jack your thread but I figured while you had it posted I'd ask a question also. Is this a very sensitive system we have on our cars or what? I say this because twice on the same road, same location, this damn thing has activated on me while rounding a corner and I wasn't even going that fast or driving crazy. And no I didn't press or activate/deactivate anything prior to this. I was simply going about 70 around a highway bend and the pleats in the road caused it to activate each time. Just found it weird at such an unaggressive speed and corner.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Beaman528i
Don't mean to jack your thread but I figured while you had it posted I'd ask a question also. Is this a very sensitive system we have on our cars or what? I say this because twice on the same road, same location, this damn thing has activated on me while rounding a corner and I wasn't even going that fast or driving crazy. And no I didn't press or activate/deactivate anything prior to this. I was simply going about 70 around a highway bend and the pleats in the road caused it to activate each time. Just found it weird at such an unaggressive speed and corner.
Maybe your steering angle sensor is going out??? If it starts popping up and won't go away until you restart the engine, that could be it. Also, how are the threads on your tires?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by Beaman528i
I was simply going about 70 around a highway bend and the pleats in the road caused it to activate each time. Just found it weird at such an unaggressive speed and corner.
It's likely the "pleats" you mention caused the tires to lose traction as they hop and become airborne briefly. This would cause the DSC to trigger a reaction.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 528iFLYguy
Hey fellas quick question. When I activate the DTC setting the Idrive says "DTC activated but DSC limited" So what is DSC and why is it limited??
It means that let the wheels a little more free to spin faster than it shut be.

If you hold down the DTC button for more than 2 or 3 seconds, it appears "DTC OFF" and then is when you can get as crazy you want with the car and make some donuts (i dont like do it, but many people does) or make a small burn out....