E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Getting my 07 next month; Is that soon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='251785' date='Mar 8 2006, 05:01 PM
Jeez - why so argumentative? No one asked about how geniune they might be or what the rest of the world is doing. Thanks for pounding the horse -into- the ground.

I don't quite know what you mean by a "factory" E60. They're all made in the factory. Should we draw the arbitrary line we call the "model year" along with the calendar? If it was built in 07 then it's an 07? That would exclude your precious "geniune" September-to-whenever 07 models that get built late in 06.

I much prefer the US convention of avoiding large changes within the same model year. I can't imagine having 2006 cars with 2 different engines (530i). If that means we get cars a few months early, and then smaller tweaks in the fall when your model year changes, then so be it.
Ultimately, by designating model years we're drawing arbitrary lines along a continuum of constantly changing parts, processes, and now firmwares. Who is to say which arbitrary line is any more meaningful and valid than the other? Tradition? Convention? You?

I like the way you talk. You talk real smart.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by niktee' post='252058' date='Mar 9 2006, 09:06 AM
I like the way you talk. You talk real smart.

Hehehehe. Provided that wasn't sarcasm - thanks.

I'm in the Washington DC area for those who might have been wondering.

RiRacing,

All I am saying is that neither fall nor spring product refresh cycles coincide with the calendar year. This makes them arbitrary. The fact that the changeover is usually done in the fall makes that a convention. In the US, we don't do things like introduce new engines unless it's a model year switch. That too is a convention. In the rest of the world, there apparently isn't a problem with this, as we saw in 2005. The non-US cars all got the N52 engine starting with Feb 05 production and these were still called 2005.

I would say that in the US we were caught between conventions, but that isn't really accurate either. We have two other conventions to address exceptions like these - and BMW USA used one of them. They could have introduced a half-year model (rarely done anymore) or do what they did, which was release the model year early. Both are acceptable in the US.

I think we both agree that Germany is constantly changing parts, processes and firmwares on the assembly line. There are certain "larger" changes that occur at model year designations, and occasionally very large ones like engine options. I'm not trying to convince you that our way is better, I'm just pointing out that conventions aren't always a good reason to do something a certain way, and they're certainly not universal in this case - differing from region to region.

I think the reason the 07 cars are early is due to some engine modifications. I read that the N52 will be getting slightly larger valves, and should be much cleaner to comply with some US restrictions. The other tweaks are outlined in this document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
07.pdf (81.7 KB, 81 views)