E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

General Consensus US / UK

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 525i Black/Black Sport, Prem, 6M, Sirius

I'm not really a power nut, more of a fuel consumption nut. I'm jealous of all the small engined cars that they have in the UK. I wish they would at least give us the option over here! I would love to drive a 520d, I guess that's why I'm hoping to move to the UK (that and I fell in love with the country when I went to university there). I do feel for the power nuts out there (and there are plenty on this forum) who have to settle for a smaller engine because of the insurance excess. That's the good part about the US, you can drive a 525, 530 or 550, modded or not, and the insurance difference will be fairly negligible, it's the maintenance costs and fuel that would be more. If anyone from the UK wants to move over to the US and trade cars in doing so, we might need to talk towards the end of the summer
Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 Lci 520d M Sport, Titanium Silver, 18" M sport Wheels, Dakota Leather, Auto Folding and Dimming Wing Mirrors, Loud Speaker System, Professional Nav, Connect Drive, USB, Extended Air Con, Bluetooth and Telematics, OEM Detachable Towbar.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='882302' date='May 18 2009, 04:43 PM
I already have most of those mods mate, thanks anyways

Now take a look for something hardcore like a full GTR Style Carbon Bonnet or CSL Type Bootlid in the UK, you just cant find them at sensible money (or indeed at all in the case of the CSL lid), and especially not at same prices you can get it in the USA, I wont pay through the nose and will wait till the right time comes along

I did see some tasty wide front wings(arches) on ebay a while back, but they were crappy glass fibre rubbish and cost nearly 700 GBP !!!

Ouch!

Interesting that I have just been looking at the speed limits for the US and the majoirity of their speed limits are a lot less than here in the UK and definately less than what you would find in main land europe. So I would question the need to waste their hard earned money on the likes of performance chips, upgraded air filters, boosters and NOS, let alone the size of the engines everyone seems to be cutting around in. Give me my 520d M sport any day! Fast enough for the UK and Europe, ecomonical and if I am going to being so called eco friendly...less CO2 emissions.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I'm not really a power nut, more of a fuel consumption nut. I'm jealous of all the small engined cars that they have in the UK. I wish they would at least give us the option over here! I would love to drive a 520d, I guess that's why I'm hoping to move to the UK (that and I fell in love with the country when I went to university there). I do feel for the power nuts out there (and there are plenty on this forum) who have to settle for a smaller engine because of the insurance excess. That's the good part about the US, you can drive a 525, 530 or 550, modded or not, and the insurance difference will be fairly negligible, it's the maintenance costs and fuel that would be more. If anyone from the UK wants to move over to the US and trade cars in doing so, we might need to talk towards the end of the summer
Your government subsidise your fuel so you can all drive stupid great big gas guzzlers tho ? whats the problem, the only reason us euro's have to drive diesels is because our fuel cost 100x more ??

Give me a throbbin great V8 or V10 any day, and a fuel bowser
Old 05-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 Lci 520d M Sport, Titanium Silver, 18" M sport Wheels, Dakota Leather, Auto Folding and Dimming Wing Mirrors, Loud Speaker System, Professional Nav, Connect Drive, USB, Extended Air Con, Bluetooth and Telematics, OEM Detachable Towbar.

Originally Posted by jalanson' post='882317' date='May 18 2009, 04:51 PM

My bags are packed and will leave the keys under the flower pot at the fronts door!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i Black/Black Sport, Prem, 6M, Sirius

Originally Posted by ncoleman' post='882327' date='May 18 2009, 05:56 PM
My bags are packed and will leave the keys under the flower pot at the fronts door!
You think I'm joking...I'm on my way!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='882193' date='May 18 2009, 04:27 PM
I wouldnt say we had a collective mentality couldnt be further from the truth, more like we are beaten down and live under regimes that we have little power over. The UK government just sees the motorist as a cash cow, they force policies on us because they have little to fear from the public its not like we have a constitution. They didnt allow the people to vote on joining the EU treaty because they knew that the public would have rejected it, we have a PM who is shit scared of calling an election because he knows he'll lose . I could mod the ass out my car but i would end up paying over a grand for insurance for a year which I dont think is reasonable.

I'd move to the US in a second but its not that easy + its nigh on impossible in the current economic climate.

Apologies for wandering off topic, but people looking at the UK from outside dont get the full picture. We dont all wander about in tailored suits and wear top hats, we are ordinary people like you but with a shit government and no hope of the next being any better. Now where did i leave my rope....
a grand a year for insurance is dirt cheap for me here in florida

edit: i just realized this means nothing in comparison to his number. currency is different, taxes are different, average incomes are different, policies are different.

go me for jumping the gun and making an uneducated statement.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='882346' date='May 18 2009, 05:08 PM
a grand a year for insurance is dirt cheap for me here in florida

edit: i just realized this means nothing in comparison to his number. currency is different, taxes are different, average incomes are different, policies are different.

go me for jumping the gun and making an uneducated statement.

you just beat to it!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ncoleman' post='882135' date='May 18 2009, 09:31 PM
After spending a bit of time scrolling through several pics of both US and UK members on this forum, would I be correct in assuming the Guys and Gals in the US are more adventurous when it comes to modifying their cars. Is it that because the majority of 5 series owners in the UK are running company vehicles or are we just a bit boring?????

Or is that we see the 5 Series as a stunning and capable car in its own rights and dont see the need to spoil it looks?
I certainly feel it doesn't need modding. I'd be perfectly willing to part with the money to mod my car if I thought it would look better with lower suspension, lips, spoilers, quad exhausts, 20" rims and so on. I don't think it looks better though. It looks too pimp for me and certainly would look out of place in Bavaria. Maybe if you're cruising down sunset strip it works, but here it doesn't so much. People here look at cars like that and rather than envy, it's more a look of pity that someone did that to their car. I was chatting to a car dealer about a trade-in he'd had to accept and he didn't think he'd ever shift it from the lot as it was so heavily modded. I've got a couple of pics around here somewhere. He thought this car would be lucky to sell for as much as half the price of an unmodded car. They'd actually hidden it at the back of the dealership so that people driving by wouldn't see it.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='882365' date='May 18 2009, 05:25 PM
I certainly feel it doesn't need modding. I'd be perfectly willing to part with the money to mod my car if I thought it would look better with lower suspension, lips, spoilers, quad exhausts, 20" rims and so on. I don't think it looks better though. It looks too pimp for me and certainly would look out of place in Bavaria. Maybe if you're cruising down sunset strip it works, but here it doesn't so much. People here look at cars like that and rather than envy, it's more a look of pity that someone did that to their car. I was chatting to a car dealer about a trade-in he'd had to accept and he didn't think he'd ever shift it from the lot as it was so heavily modded. I've got a couple of pics around here somewhere. He thought this car would be lucky to sell for as much as half the price of an unmodded car. They'd actually hidden it at the back of the dealership so that people driving by wouldn't see it.

I totally agree with you! BTW I too am a Brit living in Germany, just outside Kaiserslautern, that is until next month when we move back to the UK.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by ncoleman' post='882292' date='May 18 2009, 04:35 PM
Is chrome-phobic a new medical term......will it spread like swine flu??
Don't know, but if it catches on, I want credit. For the general public, I prefer the term Chromophobic?.

?2009 CWS530

Quick Reply: General Consensus US / UK