E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

General Consensus US / UK

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 525D M-SPORT // Grey // SB attached

im adventurous but broke .. not a good combination
People dont believe you because "you drive a 5 series"
Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 Lci 520d M Sport, Titanium Silver, 18" M sport Wheels, Dakota Leather, Auto Folding and Dimming Wing Mirrors, Loud Speaker System, Professional Nav, Connect Drive, USB, Extended Air Con, Bluetooth and Telematics, OEM Detachable Towbar.

Originally Posted by nudda' post='882230' date='May 18 2009, 03:56 PM
im adventurous but broke .. not a good combination
People dont believe you because "you drive a 5 series"

LMAO
Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Members

Hello all

Great post, here is MHO...

1. BMW has great taste, and M5 is bang on I think.

2. Resale! (one mans junk is another mans tresure) in most places outside the US cars are very expensive due to tax and lower volumes (new - try double over here), if you mod a car like crazy, here in NZ each permanent mod would take 5% of its value - hence cars like the E60 very rarely get any mods, and if so its done by the dealer (ie my car, which has a full schnitzer kit done from brand new) and we then tend to put factory or factory style wheels on - basically to have a cool car over here just get as close to an M5 as you can!

3. BTW what is up with chrome rims you guys put on in the US? Apologies to anyone out there with them, since I was a kid I have seen on the likes of LA Law etc lovely 911s, SLs etc with "bogus" factory chromed wheels??? Dreadful.

Cheers
stu
Old 05-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I actually pay less insurance on my 545 than I did my Chrysler and my wife's mini is a little more than mine weird!

When I look at what my brother does to his Subaru in the UK and what some of his other counterparts do throughout Europe I think there might be more insane mods over there than the US but the cars that attract the attention are smaller, cheaper cars or at least that's the impression I get looking at my brother's Max Power mags and the like. Perhaps once you go from a modding a VW or something like that, moving up to a BMW you realize it doesn't make sense modding and paying more to insure an already nice car.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by kiwistu' post='882236' date='May 18 2009, 04:58 PM
3. BTW what is up with chrome rims you guys put on in the US? Apologies to anyone out there with them, since I was a kid I have seen on the likes of LA Law etc lovely 911s, SLs etc with "bogus" factory chromed wheels??? Dreadful.
Those are not bogus wheels..they have the stock wheels chromed.

I don't have chrome wheels...anymore
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 Lci 520d M Sport, Titanium Silver, 18" M sport Wheels, Dakota Leather, Auto Folding and Dimming Wing Mirrors, Loud Speaker System, Professional Nav, Connect Drive, USB, Extended Air Con, Bluetooth and Telematics, OEM Detachable Towbar.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='882213' date='May 18 2009, 03:42 PM
to be honest there is so little hardcore decent mods around for the 5 (IMHO anyways) that us guys in the UK hardly get a chance or option to do something more adventurous, for example if a nice Carbon bonnet and CSL bootlid were availible for the same prices as in the USA in this country I would jump on them, im not paying the stupendous shipping fee's to have one tho, almost 60% of the cost of the Carbon parts ffs, for example......

A few pics of shall we say subtle mods that are on offer from BMW.
Attached Thumbnails General Consensus US / UK-image8.jpg   General Consensus US / UK-image1.jpg   General Consensus US / UK-image2.jpg   General Consensus US / UK-image3.jpg   General Consensus US / UK-image4.jpg  

General Consensus US / UK-image5.jpg   General Consensus US / UK-image6.jpg   General Consensus US / UK-image7.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by kiwistu' post='882236' date='May 18 2009, 03:58 PM
Hello all

Cheers
stu
This forum in the most chrome-phobic I've seen.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='882289' date='May 18 2009, 04:31 PM
This forum in the most chrome-phobic I've seen.

Is chrome-phobic a new medical term......will it spread like swine flu??
Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I already have most of those mods mate, thanks anyways

Now take a look for something hardcore like a full GTR Style Carbon Bonnet or CSL Type Bootlid in the UK, you just cant find them at sensible money (or indeed at all in the case of the CSL lid), and especially not at same prices you can get it in the USA, I wont pay through the nose and will wait till the right time comes along

I did see some tasty wide front wings(arches) on ebay a while back, but they were crappy glass fibre rubbish and cost nearly 700 GBP !!!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='882193' date='May 18 2009, 03:27 PM
I wouldnt say we had a collective mentality couldnt be further from the truth, more like we are beaten down and live under regimes that we have little power over. The UK government just sees the motorist as a cash cow, they force policies on us because they have little to fear from the public its not like we have a constitution. They didnt allow the people to vote on joining the EU treaty because they knew that the public would have rejected it, we have a PM who is shit scared of calling an election because he knows he'll lose . I could mod the ass out my car but i would end up paying over a grand for insurance for a year which I dont think is reasonable.

I'd move to the US in a second but its not that easy + its nigh on impossible in the current economic climate.

Apologies for wandering off topic, but people looking at the UK from outside dont get the full picture. We dont all wander about in tailored suits and wear top hats, we are ordinary people like you but with a shit government and no hope of the next being any better. Now where did i leave my rope....
We are fighting that trend here in the US. Too many of our politicians here are starting to think the people are here to serve them. It is the exact opposite. I see a resurgence of the "DRIP" campaign (Don't Re-elect Incumbant Politicians). If you get rid of every sitting politician the new ones will get the message and remember who they work for.

Quick Reply: General Consensus US / UK