E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox changed, problem insists, frustration builds up ..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I've recently had a failure in my gearbox (as per previous post). Well, i got the car back with a brand new gearbox.
The problem i used to -and still have is a low metalic sound , like loose plate, coming from the engine compartment .

I though it was the infamous N52 lifter knocking but ... is not. The sounds are very very similar but ; when i press the clutch pedal it dissappears and a low buzzing noise appears at the middle low section of the car. So i thought , no this is not engine knocking, maybe that was the reason for the g/b failure in the first place.

Well, it's still there, muffled down a bit now but definately still there. It also has some other features as well a) appears when car is warm and spending too much time on traffic or if car is driven hard b) it creates vibration though the gearbox and into the actual gear stick c) it only appears when car on neutral d) i cannot figure out if it's engine rev related but it seems not.

I've spoke to the dealership again said to bring it in. Brought it in , surprise surprise while on the dealership it never show itself.

Anyway, do you guys have any idea what it might be ? This is driving me crazy and abit wary that it could have been the reason for the g/b gear popping on the first place .
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

It doesn't sound like this, but have a look at this one: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B511304g.htm
Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by twh' post='1028574' date='Oct 9 2009, 06:40 PM
It doesn't sound like this, but have a look at this one: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B511304g.htm

No, that has nothing to do with the sound going away once clutch is pressed. Thanks for the input though!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Members

Thumbs down

I hope that they replaced the (complete) clutch assy. as well.... or at least removed it to examine the components!
Reading your previous post re. the gearbox, having difficulty engaging first gear is almost certainly a worn pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft (part no 21207536792 ??). This in turn will eventally damage the release bearing and give an uneven wear pattern on the clutch cover spring fingers.
Having a new gearbox fitted alleviates the problems (for a while!) because the input shaft bearings in the new box are 'tight'.
Best of luck on getting it sorted!!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by spiros' post='1028645' date='Oct 9 2009, 11:30 AM
No, that has nothing to do with the sound going away once clutch is pressed. Thanks for the input though!

I have the same problem. I can hear the rattle noise at idle ( in neutral ) and it goes away when I press the clutch down. My car is a CPO but the dealer warns me that if they work on it and the clutch ( including the throw out bearing ) is the issue it is not covered and I pay the whole bill $1500-$2500. I think that what will happen is the dealer is going to have me pay for a clutch and they will inspect the gearbox and may or may not fix/replace it at the same time.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by daven' post='1028715' date='Oct 9 2009, 08:49 PM
I hope that they replaced the (complete) clutch assy. as well.... or at least removed it to examine the components!
Reading your previous post re. the gearbox, having difficulty engaging first gear is almost certainly a worn pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft (part no 21207536792 ??). This in turn will eventally damage the release bearing and give an uneven wear pattern on the clutch cover spring fingers.
Having a new gearbox fitted alleviates the problems (for a while!) because the input shaft bearings in the new box are 'tight'.
Best of luck on getting it sorted!!

I'm getting it checked this week. It seems that is not that uncommon to notice a rattle in neutral. Some people say it is a g/b characteristic some say is the actual throughout bearing -or pilot bearing.

And no , they haven't checked or replaced the clutch assy. I think the problem is on the flywheel though. Will see

Anyone else experienced that and found a cure ?