E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Shift Hesitation in Singapore E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I am opening a new topic to see if fellow E60 drivers are having problem with the gear shift system. PML (Singapore dealer) tells me that this problem is unique to Singapore due to the driving conditions in the country - if we adhere to the road limits (generally 60 km/h in city and 90 kh/hr on expressways), the system adaptes to the those "soft-drive" condition. One that is so, the gear shifts to the highest point as quickly as possible, resulting in the overdrive gear/s even at around 50 km/hr.

This obviously is not good as the 2.2l engine in my 520i cannot produce enough of low-end torque to handle the acceleration when needed. As such, when the pedal is depressed under this condition, the gear shifts down. 'The problem is that the system has problem trying to decide and lock into one lower gear. As a result, the car "chokes" and looses acceleration power during this indecisive moment.

PML has denied that this is a problem but recommended that I drive with S mode to over come it. What a joke? Deny the problem and yet have a solution. But why should i drive in S mode in the city and burn petrol??

Any one in Singapore facing this problem too? :'(
Old 12-05-2004, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did notice that the gear shifts are quick and hit 6th a tad too brief, but I thought that is the 'feature' of the steptronic. There is some hesitation at the 2k RPM but once you have cleared that resistance its actually quite rev-happy. Well, I attribute the slow acceleration to the tiny 2.2L engine. Since the car learns the way we drive, perhaps thats what BMW programmers think how the gear should shift under Singapore's 60-90 driving conditions. I would be very interested to know if this is indeed a problem and will be very glad if my 520i will perform as torqey in the D mode as in DS.