E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas mileage saver-engine shut off at stops

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry not sure the actual name of the technology but I am just sure I read this was either in or coming to bmws soon and have not heard it mentioned here but wondering if it is implemented yet.

It was some technology that would essentially shut down the engine for the most part at any stops you made and were not actually pressing the accelerater-assuming your also not moving-and it apparently was completely unoticable when you pressed the gas again you just went so I am assuming it shut down everythingexcept a couple cylinders to get you moving-I am really not sure how it worked but it claimed to save a decent more amount of gas milage at no extra cost in performance or anything which makes sense-cause who wants to burn gas at a stop!

anyone else hear of this-I completely forgot where I read it since I seem to read too many random internet articles that are linked by someone and then I click on another link from there and off it goes before I know it I am on some random site reading an article
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring (born November 22nd, 2006) Carbon Black (metallic), Black Dakota Leather, 18" M135 L/Alloy Wheels with 245/40 R18 93Y Goodyear NCT5 tyres (Run-flats), Manual Transmission, Xenon headlamps, Headlamp-washer system, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Navigation-system Professional, Hi-Fi loudspeaker system, M Sport Package, Roof Rails, M-Sports Suspension, Sun Protection Glass, High Gloss Shadow Line, M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, Anthracite Headlining, Cup Holders, Auto-Dim Interior Mirror, DVD Prep in rear, Side Blinds (manual), Automatic Air Conditioning, M Steering Wheel, Aluminium "Cube Pure" interior trim, Sports Seats, ISOFIX Child Seat System (front passenger seat), Park Distance Control

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='487753' date='Oct 30 2007, 11:58 AM
Sorry not sure the actual name of the technology but I am just sure I read this was either in or coming to bmws soon and have not heard it mentioned here but wondering if it is implemented yet.

It was some technology that would essentially shut down the engine for the most part at any stops you made and were not actually pressing the accelerater-assuming your also not moving-and it apparently was completely unoticable when you pressed the gas again you just went so I am assuming it shut down everythingexcept a couple cylinders to get you moving-I am really not sure how it worked but it claimed to save a decent more amount of gas milage at no extra cost in performance or anything which makes sense-cause who wants to burn gas at a stop!

anyone else hear of this-I completely forgot where I read it since I seem to read too many random internet articles that are linked by someone and then I click on another link from there and off it goes before I know it I am on some random site reading an article
I think you mean the "Auto Start/Stop function".

Here are the details I found on the international BMW site :

A clever way to save fuel: the Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine each time the vehicle comes to a complete halt - such as at traffic lights - and restarts it automatically. A reduction in fuel consumption is the result.

The principle is simple: if the engine is not running, it cannot consume fuel. The Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine whenever it is not needed. In a traffic jam or in stop-and-go traffic, simply putting your BMW into neutral and taking your foot from the clutch will activate the function. "Start Stop" on the Info Display signals that the engine has been turned off. To set off again, just put your BMW back into gear: the moment you depress the clutch, the engine immediately springs back to life and you can drive on without a moment's delay.
Driving comfort and driving safety are not affected by the Auto Start Stop function. The function is not activated, for example, until the engine has reached the ideal running temperature. The same applies if the air conditioner has not yet brought the cabin to the desired temperature, if the battery is not adequately charged or if the driver moves the steering wheel.
The Auto Start Stop function is coordinated by a central control unit that monitors data from all relevant sensors, the starter motor and the alternator. If necessary for comfort or safety, the control unit will automatically restart the engine: for example, if the vehicle begins to roll, the battery charge falls too low or condensation forms on the windscreen.
Furthermore, the system also recognises the difference between a temporary stop and the end of the trip. It will not restart the engine if driver's seatbelt is undone, or if the door or bonnet is open. If desired, the Auto Start Stop function can be completely deactivated with the press of a button.
When used consistently, the Auto Start Stop function delivers significant reductions in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions
Old 10-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Been on golf carts for years.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

and the basis for hybrids that shut down at stops as well
Old 10-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

I wonder, how does this affect the wear on the starter motor? I've heard of taxi drivers not turning off their engine to reduce starter motor wear. Of course I don't know whether that was wise, but it does make me think how bad it actually is for a starter motor to be started 10-20 times a day instead of 2 - 4 times a day. Wear is bound to be a couple of times as high (not actually 5 times higher, as starting a warm engine does not take the starter motor much effort).
I do not know how long starter motors last, but recall from (relatively old) Volvo's that they had to be changed before reaching 100k miles. Even if the BMW starter motor is twice as good as the Volvo's, would it now only last 40-50k miles?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Contributors

I always thought that starting a car engine was fairly fuel intensive aswell. When you start the car, it injects more fuel in to the engine than when it's running to help with the initial ignition process (or whatever the proper terms are). Maybe this has changed, but I was always told that it was better to leave your car running when you were waiting to pick somebody up or just nipping in somewhere because it was cheaper than stopping and restarting.

It's better for the environment to stop/start. But I don't think it's better for cost.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

im guessing that these systems have new advancements to reduce gas consumption upon starting. most hybrids use the electric motor to fire up the gas motor
Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

If you want to save fuel there is much more you need to do or could do.

Turn off all systems you don't need. Radio, A/C, lights, etc... Shut off engine when standing... Don't accelerate more than needed... Don't open any window for aerodynamic reasons... When going downhill, let the force do the job, not your engine... etc...

In the last issue of the BMW Magazine here in Germany, they went on a test drive (530i LCI E60, that's 272 HP, 6 cylinder, petrol).
They put 5L in the tank, after they emptied it. They drove on three successive days, at the same time on the same streets.

The drivers were: Michael Seitz (editor, BMW Magazine), Michael Caspers (Drivers Training Instructor, fuel saving/fuel economy classes) and Sebastian Vettel (F1 driver).
They drove from Leipzig towards Dresden.

efficient_dynamics.wmv

Here are the results:

Distance driven with 5 L : M. Seitz (editor) 68 Km's, M. Caspers (instructor) 73 Km's, S. Vettel (F1 driver) 91 Km's.
Average speed: M. Seitz (editor) 62 Km/h, M. Caspers (instructor) 68 Km/h, S. Vettel (F1 driver) 59 Km/h.
Fuel consumption in L/100Km: M. Seitz (editor) 7.4, M. Caspers (instructor) 6.8, S. Vettel (F1 driver) 5.5.

The editor laughed and said that Vettel was the slowest of the three. Vettel laughed back and said it's OK, because he would have still beaten the editor if he (the editor) would have walked those last Km's...

A very nice article.

Tips for saving fuel (in German) by BMW:

driving_pleasure.pdf
Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

This article was published in the Swedish BMW Magazine as well. The article says that Vettel stopped his engine as soon as he wasn't moving due to traffic.

The start/stop technology is already available as standard on the BMW 1-series with manual gear here in Europe.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

BTW, the video I attached to my post is from BMW showing some impressions from the test drive...

Quick Reply: Gas mileage saver-engine shut off at stops