E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Which gas do you use?
Regular
2.84%
Midgrade
4.26%
Premium
92.91%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Which gas do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='213666
so called high octane gas is the biggest ripoff going. Thats why the CEO's make millions per year. Next to nothing for additives and they charge way more. Every company goes to the same depot and loads tankers from the same tank. It's all the same...all marketing

Actually this is not quite true.... Yes, all companies get gasoline from the same regional distribution center, but, after they do, they add detergents and other cleaners to the gas prior to shipping to the gas stations.

Also, there was a discussion a while back on Top Tier gas. Check out www.toptiergas.com
[/quote]

Not to mention Costco and other cheap gas stations also buy the bottom of the barrel poorer gas after the major companies gotten theirs.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='213682' date='Dec 20 2005, 02:15 PM
Not to mention Costco and other cheap gas stations also buy the bottom of the barrel poorer gas after the major companies gotten theirs.

Again, not true. Costco and other wholesalers buy gas from the cheapest supplier in that region. Sometimes the big companies need to get rid of inventory at the local level, that's where wholesalers like Costo come in and buy it up.

Besides, gas is gas (without the additives and cleaners). The AKI is still the same anywhere you buy, so "bottom of the barrel" is no different from "top of the barrel". It's the detergents and other additives that are different for different gas companies. The jury is still out on the need/benefits for these additives.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Bottom of the Barrel has junk and condensation of water vapors in there.

*shrugs* I'm not trying to argue if its not true then its not but thats what I've read before... and I believe that more than you just saying its all the same... For the extra pennies a gallon I'll spend it on more reputable gas. Not like I get gas every hour...

A cars a car why buy a BMW? why not get a Kia Rio? $7777 out the door BRAND NEW has 4 wheels 4 doors and carries just as many people as a BMW if not more in some cases.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: V8 beast!

93 Octane, Havent seen 98.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by hmc' post='213640
In the winter, now that I have Blizzaks mounted, I'm driving much less aggressively. Therefore I am filling with midgrade till the spring. Midgrade here in Ohio is typically 89 octane, as measured by the (RON+MON)/2 formula. Dealer assures me that midgrade is just fine for the engine.
Do you notice any drivability or power loss with 89 gas?
[/quote]
Given that since late November we have had crappy weather here in Ohio, I have not noticed any "power loss" issues, but then I haven't really tromped it for a while. I would expect reduced performance, since the timing will self-adjust to prevent detonation. But at low temps, detonation is not usually problematic.

As to driveability, no problems whatsoever.

Vern, with all due respect the likelihood of any engine problems being caused by an octane count 1 or 2 points below ideal is not very high. I sleep soundly at night. But you should use whatever you think best for your car and driving style. (Gee, I sound like one of those "legal disclaimer" guys!)
Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='213682
Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='213535' date='Dec 20 2005, 04:00 AM
so called high octane gas is the biggest ripoff going. Thats why the CEO's make millions per year. Next to nothing for additives and they charge way more. Every company goes to the same depot and loads tankers from the same tank. It's all the same...all marketing

Actually this is not quite true.... Yes, all companies get gasoline from the same regional distribution center, but, after they do, they add detergents and other cleaners to the gas prior to shipping to the gas stations.

Also, there was a discussion a while back on Top Tier gas. Check out www.toptiergas.com

[/quote]

you guys didn't see my wink. I knew I would cause a firestorm by that comment! so the consensus is that you need to use the high octane fuel?? Is that a warranty requirement? I believe here in my province that it's 87,89, and 91 octane?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Contributors

I prefer chevron gas and usually fill up there, but if prices get a little to high, I have no problems buying at costco.

Personally, I can't tell the difference between the two.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' post='213763
Originally Posted by MaxBuck' post='213628' date='Dec 20 2005, 10:01 AM
In the winter, now that I have Blizzaks mounted, I'm driving much less aggressively. Therefore I am filling with midgrade till the spring. Midgrade here in Ohio is typically 89 octane, as measured by the (RON+MON)/2 formula. Dealer assures me that midgrade is just fine for the engine.
Do you notice any drivability or power loss with 89 gas?
Given that since late November we have had crappy weather here in Ohio, I have not noticed any "power loss" issues, but then I haven't really tromped it for a while. I would expect reduced performance, since the timing will self-adjust to prevent detonation. But at low temps, detonation is not usually problematic.

As to driveability, no problems whatsoever.

Vern, with all due respect the likelihood of any engine problems being caused by an octane count 1 or 2 points below ideal is not very high. I sleep soundly at night. But you should use whatever you think best for your car and driving style. (Gee, I sound like one of those "legal disclaimer" guys!)
[/quote]
Look at the POLL Numbers,that in its self should tell you something.Good luck in what ever you burn in your car.
cheers
vern