E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Garage door opener only works if key is on

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by John W' date='May 13 2005, 08:03 PM
Does it make sense if you park your car outside overnight? In UK, theft would brake into the car, open garage door, get the key, and drive away. Same thing would happen in US. Sometimes, I found this annoying, but BMW engineers think very throroughly compared to others. German engineering is superb, but quality improvement is more than welcome!
Help me out here. What's the difference in having a clicker/remote clipped to the visor, in the car parked outside overnight and this? In either case, unless you're unclipping the garage remote and taking it inside with you, your risk is the same as with the BMW universal remote working without the key. Does everyone take their clickers inside at night?

I think this is one of those things BMW can't possibly make everyone happy about. Some want it to work without the key, some don't. I'm not personally convinced that it's safer or more secure without the key, as the thief has to smash the glass to get to it, and many garage doors are "pickable" with a slim-jim type rod anyway. I've had my garage door picked this way. They slide a rod with a hook up through the seal at the top and pull the emergency release. The thief will get in regardless IMHO. That's why you lock the house door.

I'd vote for it working with the key off. I think it's simply more convenient, and no less secure than a clicker clipped to the visor.
[snapback]128174[/snapback]
First, I'm in no way critical of BMW for the way it implements Homelink. I just do not like Homelink, since it provides anybody who drives my car (valet, service tech) access to my home. When I go out to dinner, I do not make my remote available to the valet. When I take my car in for service, I do not leave my remote in the car. And I don't generally park my car outside my home; if I do, I do not leave the remote.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by my530i' date='May 13 2005, 11:14 PM
Does it make sense if you park your car outside overnight? In UK, theft would brake into the car, open garage door, get the key, and drive away. Same thing would happen in US. Sometimes, I found this annoying, but BMW engineers think very throroughly compared to others. German engineering is superb, but quality improvement is more than welcome!
[snapback]128131[/snapback]
Yep, but why park the car outside the garage and have the keys in the garage?

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='May 13 2005, 11:19 PM
[quote name='530iii' date='May 13 2005, 02:18 PM']On my ride the garage door opener will work when the key is turned to the 2nd position i don't have to start my engine.

If the car is running and i shut the engine off, the garage door opener still works as well as opening the moonroof and xenons.

Just don't turn the key all the way towards you (1st position) or take it out completely.
[snapback]128133[/snapback]
That takes care of the fumes in the garage problem.
[snapback]128134[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep.