E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Garage door opener only works if key is on

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the other cars I own or have owned that have this feature allow you to open or close the garage doors even if the key is removed from the ignition. I.E. The feature is on all the time. Pull in to the garage, turn off car and close the garage door or get in car, open the garage door and start car. Seems logical to me.

BMW forces you to have the ignition on. IMHO this should be changed so the garage door opener is on all of the time.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Capebimmer' date='May 13 2005, 02:47 PM
All the other cars I own or have owned that have this feature allow you to open or close the garage doors even if the key is removed from the ignition.? I.E.? The feature is on all the time.? ? ? Pull in to the garage, turn off car and close the garage door? ? or? ? get in car, open the garage door and start car.? Seems logical to me.?

BMW forces you to have the ignition on.? IMHO this should be changed so the garage door opener is on all of the time.
[snapback]128120[/snapback]
That would make more sense since you don't want exaust fumes to take over your entire garage before opening it.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it make sense if you park your car outside overnight? In UK, theft would brake into the car, open garage door, get the key, and drive away. Same thing would happen in US. Sometimes, I found this annoying, but BMW engineers think very throroughly compared to others. German engineering is superb, but quality improvement is more than welcome!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

On my ride the garage door opener will work when the key is turned to the 2nd position i don't have to start my engine.

If the car is running and i shut the engine off, the garage door opener still works as well as opening the moonroof and xenons.(One click towards you)

Just don't turn the key all the way towards you (1st position) or take it out completely.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by 530iii' date='May 13 2005, 02:18 PM
On my ride the garage door opener will work when the key is turned to the 2nd position i don't have to start my engine.

If the car is running and i shut the engine off, the garage door opener still works as well as opening the moonroof and xenons.

Just don't turn the key all the way towards you (1st position) or take it out completely.
[snapback]128133[/snapback]
That takes care of the fumes in the garage problem.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='May 13 2005, 03:19 PM
[quote name='530iii' date='May 13 2005, 02:18 PM']On my ride the garage door opener will work when the key is turned to the 2nd position i don't have to start my engine.

If the car is running and i shut the engine off, the garage door opener still works as well as opening the moonroof and xenons.

[snapback]128133[/snapback]
That takes care of the fumes in the garage problem.
[snapback]128134[/snapback]
[/quote]

nice
Old 05-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Here's a question regarding the Homelink garage-door opener. Why do you feel comfy in essentially allowing any lunkhead in the BMW repair shop free access to your house?

I have Homelink on my current Acura but never activated it. I just use my opener. When I take my car in for service, I take my opener with me, since I don't want the service crew to be able to drive my car to my house (my address is obviously on file) and open my garage and remove my:

bicycle
golf clubs
lawnmower
wife's car
etc.

What's the general thinking on Homelink from a home-security standpoint?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I think it's correct the way it is. You don't want your car to be a garage door opener to anybody who gets in it--without the key. As to the question about leaving the garage, I press the garage door opener button on the wall as I enter the garage from my house, so by the time I'm in the car, it's open, so no problem with exhaust fumes.

And I suppose the tech could get your address and drive the car to your house--hoping nobody is home--and open the garage door. That same tech could have a copy of your car key made and steal your car. I suppose I'll take that risk...
Old 05-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

In order to program another remote, you need access to the actual garage door opener in the garage. You can't just program it from the codes sent out by the homelink in the rearview mirror. At least on mine you had to program any remote using the main system in the garage. Even if some shady tech/SA at the dealer tried to copy the signal from the rearview mirror, I don't think it will work.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Does it make sense if you park your car outside overnight? In UK, theft would brake into the car, open garage door, get the key, and drive away. Same thing would happen in US. Sometimes, I found this annoying, but BMW engineers think very throroughly compared to others. German engineering is superb, but quality improvement is more than welcome!
Help me out here. What's the difference in having a clicker/remote clipped to the visor, in the car parked outside overnight and this? In either case, unless you're unclipping the garage remote and taking it inside with you, your risk is the same as with the BMW universal remote working without the key. Does everyone take their clickers inside at night?

I think this is one of those things BMW can't possibly make everyone happy about. Some want it to work without the key, some don't. I'm not personally convinced that it's safer or more secure without the key, as the thief has to smash the glass to get to it, and many garage doors are "pickable" with a slim-jim type rod anyway. I've had my garage door picked this way. They slide a rod with a hook up through the seal at the top and pull the emergency release. The thief will get in regardless IMHO. That's why you lock the house door.

I'd vote for it working with the key off. I think it's simply more convenient, and no less secure than a clicker clipped to the visor.

Quick Reply: Garage door opener only works if key is on