E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

GA6HP26Z Oil change - Still problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Follow the thread I posted and you should be fine. It's really not that big of a job to do. Things I'd be cautious about are making sure that the car is level, and making sure that the transmission doesn't exceed 50C when you are filling. The temps will rise a lot quicker than you might think, but as long as you have a pump that moves fluid through it quickly I doubt you'll have any problems there. The one I picked up at harbor freight will empty a one liter bottle in about three pumps
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Yeah, thanks for that thread!

I think I am most concerned about removing and installing the mechatronic sleeve without turning a good transmission to a bad transmission. lol

Originally Posted by KyleB
Follow the thread I posted and you should be fine. It's really not that big of a job to do. Things I'd be cautious about are making sure that the car is level, and making sure that the transmission doesn't exceed 50C when you are filling. The temps will rise a lot quicker than you might think, but as long as you have a pump that moves fluid through it quickly I doubt you'll have any problems there. The one I picked up at harbor freight will empty a one liter bottle in about three pumps

Last edited by E60I; 05-09-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by E60I

I think I am most concerned about removing and installing the mechantronic sleeve without turning a good transmission to a bad transmission. lol
Make sure nothing comes into contact with the pins on the Mechatronic or the socket and you'll be fine.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi (N52 6-cylinder engine)2002 325xi (M54 6-cylinder engine)2008 Specialized Roubaix road bike

Be careful in handling the mechatronic sleeve. SIide it in, orienting the tube correctly, and don't twist it. And *BEFORE* bolting all 24 pan screws, make sure you press the white mechatronic retaining clip in place. I forgot to do that. I was thinking about it later and realized I hadn't snapped the retainer in place. So I got to drain and refill again! --a long day. I saw that by bolting down the pan, the pan actually presses the retainer clip most of the way in. But don't forget!

My "xi" has a transfer case that gets in the way--along with the exhaust system. I removed the exhaust system to get clear access. RWD cars probably don't have that clearance issue.

Torque: I recommend installing dry bolts (clean with brake cleaner if oily). Applying the "dry torque" to an oily screw will put more clamping pressure than intended.

Hey latitude39 or anyone,

I am getting ready to change my transmission fluid, mechatronic sleeve and filter this weekend. Is there anything I should be cautious about?

Thanks!

Last edited by latitude39; 05-09-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi (N52 6-cylinder engine)2002 325xi (M54 6-cylinder engine)2008 Specialized Roubaix road bike

FWIW, here are my notes from the job when I did it a couple of years ago.

Mechatronic sleeve replacement. This is for AWD. RWD will require less dis-assembly.

This $25 component requires these steps:
1. Remove exhaust system
2. Remove transfer case support bracket
3. Remove heat shield (small) which covers the driver side transmission pan.
4. Drain transmission fluid
5. Remove transmission pan (24 bolts)
6. Replace Mechatronic sleeve
a. Pull down the white tab to release the sleeve.
b. Rotate the collar on the sleeve, probably 45 degrees or thereabouts.
c. Pull the sleeve straight out *without* rotating, so as not to damage the electrical connections.
d. Lube the new one (should have black o-rings vs red o-rings on old one).
e. Slide the new sleeve *straight* in, aligning the cutout to mate.
f. Rotate the old collar back on—45 degrees or so, until it distinctly locks with a slight tactile click feeling.
g. Using a 3mm allen key, gauge the gap between sleeve and transmission body; there should be less than 3mm (the key won’t go in the space).
h. Press the white locking clip straight up (1/2” or so) to lock in the sleeve.
7. Put a new seal on the transmission pan.
8. Install all 24 bolts, tightening till contact only.
9. Torque all 24 bolts to 10nm in a criss-cross pattern, starting from the inside. (thectsc.com publishes the criss-cross sequence)
10. Remove the 4 torx-type bolts (M10?) holding the front drive shaft to the transfer case input.
11. Refill transmission; run the car through all gears with foot on brake; heat the fluid to 30-50C; fill fluid with car running until it overflows; cap it.
12. Re-install heat shield
13. Re-install TC support.
14. Re-install exhaust system, replacing 5 copper bolts, using copper-based anti-seize paste.
15. Using 4 brand new torx-type bolts, purchased from Schomp, torque them to 20nm +45 degrees. A helper stepping the brakes would have been wonderful. Alternately, use the handle of a ratchet wedged in between the TC and driveshaft to prevent the driveshaft from rotating.
16. Replace belly pan.

I think I am most concerned about removing and installing the mechatronic sleeve without turning a good transmission to a bad transmission. lol

Last edited by latitude39; 05-09-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW E61 530dM

Well i was able to remove 8L from it and added 8 new liters to it, according to the way you should fill it. starting it and filling it 40-50C until it started to drip from the filling hole.

if you look at ZF specification the complete gearbox including the converter will need 9.6 Litres. and a additional 0.5L for the cooling part.

http://www.zf.com/media/media/docume...28_Catalog.pdf

if i look at the garage workshop manual it was the same amout of oil.
The kit i bought included 8L of oil.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW E61 530dM

I have ordered a new converter and will change that next weekend, intrested in a DIY?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thank you!

To avoid complications in seating the mechatronic sleeve in its proper location, I suggest marking it!

Originally Posted by latitude39
FWIW, here are my notes from the job when I did it a couple of years ago.

Mechatronic sleeve replacement. This is for AWD. RWD will require less dis-assembly.

This $25 component requires these steps:
1. Remove exhaust system
2. Remove transfer case support bracket
3. Remove heat shield (small) which covers the driver side transmission pan.
4. Drain transmission fluid
5. Remove transmission pan (24 bolts)
6. Replace Mechatronic sleeve
a. Pull down the white tab to release the sleeve.
b. Rotate the collar on the sleeve, probably 45 degrees or thereabouts.
c. Pull the sleeve straight out *without* rotating, so as not to damage the electrical connections.
d. Lube the new one (should have black o-rings vs red o-rings on old one).
e. Slide the new sleeve *straight* in, aligning the cutout to mate.
f. Rotate the old collar back on—45 degrees or so, until it distinctly locks with a slight tactile click feeling.
g. Using a 3mm allen key, gauge the gap between sleeve and transmission body; there should be less than 3mm (the key won’t go in the space).
h. Press the white locking clip straight up (1/2” or so) to lock in the sleeve.
7. Put a new seal on the transmission pan.
8. Install all 24 bolts, tightening till contact only.
9. Torque all 24 bolts to 10nm in a criss-cross pattern, starting from the inside. (thectsc.com publishes the criss-cross sequence)
10. Remove the 4 torx-type bolts (M10?) holding the front drive shaft to the transfer case input.
11. Refill transmission; run the car through all gears with foot on brake; heat the fluid to 30-50C; fill fluid with car running until it overflows; cap it.
12. Re-install heat shield
13. Re-install TC support.
14. Re-install exhaust system, replacing 5 copper bolts, using copper-based anti-seize paste.
15. Using 4 brand new torx-type bolts, purchased from Schomp, torque them to 20nm +45 degrees. A helper stepping the brakes would have been wonderful. Alternately, use the handle of a ratchet wedged in between the TC and driveshaft to prevent the driveshaft from rotating.
16. Replace belly pan.
Attached Thumbnails GA6HP26Z Oil change - Still problems-mechatronic-sleeve.jpg  

Last edited by E60I; 05-10-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Best of luck to get your problem fixed easily, MarkusSwe!

Do a write up if you have time. ;-)

Originally Posted by MarkusSwe
I have ordered a new converter and will change that next weekend, intrested in a DIY?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Members

Yes, I would like to see how it is done. Good luck.

Originally Posted by MarkusSwe

Quick Reply: GA6HP26Z Oil change - Still problems