E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Frustrating Auto Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525xi

At least yours is doing what it is supposed to do in the sense that it reacts to the light. Mine simply stays on whenever I put it on auto (the little LED beside the switch tells you when the headlights are on). Many people think that is because the light is low during winter, then it means it is a design flaw. sigh..........I hope BMW will do something about it. After reading all the helpful posts from you guys, I am not even sure whether I want to schedule a dealer visit for this and serious doubt whether my dealer can fix it. :'(

Maybe I should wait until next spring/summer... ...

Anyway, thank you guys again.

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Nov 3 2005, 09:59 AM
This morning on the way to work (~ 8 am in bright sunshine) I counted - they turned on/off 11 times in 7 miles.
[snapback]192897[/snapback]
Old 11-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

For everyone that missed the TIS document the first time around.....
Old 11-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFiRB' date='Nov 2 2005, 05:21 PM
My auto headlights turn on almost all the time under bright sunlight. A search showed me it should have been fixed by CIP 16.xx. I have CIP 19.02 already but still have this nagging problem.?

What about you guys? Are you auto headlights work fine? Or do you either simply live with it or never use the auto function?

It is frustrating because auto headlight is not even close to high tech. My 6-year old Camry's auto lights never turned on wrongly even once. (No, I don't miss my old Camry but I do miss its auto lights)
[snapback]192420[/snapback]
The sensor and the electronics are calculating at the same time:
1) How fast the lighting condition is changing. (tunnels, cloudiness weather, etc)
2) The season and time of the day (from the clock).
3) How many times have been the lights on & off.

At afternoon time, after 3 on-offs the lights will stay on.
The same will occur when you pass alternatively three short tunnels (from my personal experience).
It is a self protecting function for xenons and ballasts.
I think your camry's headlights was halogen, no xenons.
Anyway, the system is doubtful for sure.
Your dealer have the ability to choose via the software, the sensitivity of the sensor with 3 selections.(normal - sensitive - very sensitive).
I did the "normal" and the "very sensitive" to mine, but without noticeable results.

Regards.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Nov 3 2005, 09:24 AM
I fully agree with you. Mine drive me nuts. On my way to/from work I go through a wooded area and I have counted them to go on/off 6 times in less than 2 mioes. I once followed a friend of mine and he actually stopped because he thought I was flashing my lights at him!

The dealer has already adjusted the sensitivity, which did absolutely nothing. My wife's car (Japanese model) has them, too , and they simply work.

I understand that the argument is that with such a wonderful driver's car we have, we should not complain about this, but it still drives me nuts if I have a bunch of little things that should but don't work well on a $60,000 car...
[snapback]192716[/snapback]
Well as a driver's car, you are suppose to do everything manually, so I like to switch the lights on and off myself as if it is not dark i would prefer to have the angel eyes on only which is the best feature on the E60.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Nov 3 2005, 04:47 PM
2) The season and time of the day (from the clock).

[snapback]192964[/snapback]
Really?? I would be AMAZED if this were true.

EDIT: Especially as it doesn't even do DST!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by JFiRB' date='Nov 2 2005, 04:21 PM
My auto headlights turn on almost all the time under bright sunlight. A search showed me it should have been fixed by CIP 16.xx. I have CIP 19.02 already but still have this nagging problem.?

What about you guys? Are you auto headlights work fine? Or do you either simply live with it or never use the auto function?

It is frustrating because auto headlight is not even close to high tech. My 6-year old Camry's auto lights never turned on wrongly even once. (No, I don't miss my old Camry but I do miss its auto lights)
[snapback]192420[/snapback]
I have no clue about the functionning of the system but the fact that the headlights are on most of the time is quite interesting for me as it does not hurt anyone and it brings additionnal security as I'm then more visible to other drivers therefore avoiding the type of accident where the other party say "oups sorry, I didn't see you!".

Moreover, if you have the xenon lights, you should be glad that it does not switch off and on constantly due to the fact that it appears that xenon bulb don't "like" to "blink" and it may let them die whereas normally their lifetime is normally very long - ie longer than normal bulbs.

Nice day.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My auto lights is on all the time too!
I just discovered today on my way to work that my auto lights are staying on, saw my reflection off the car in front of me than drove 30 minutes later down the road and still on. It's sunny as hell but they will not turn off.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Nov 3 2005, 12:09 PM
For everyone that missed the TIS document the first time around.....
[snapback]192943[/snapback]
Thank you so much for the info.

I was a bit shocked after reading this part "In the normal setting, the lights switch off about 1/2 an hour later than in the sensitive setting (in the morning), or on about the same period earlier in the evening.
The situation is reversed in the very sensitive position. The lights switch off about half an hour earlier in the morning, and on about half an hour later in the evening.
". So it turns on/off depending on the time rather than the light intensity??? It sounds like it ALWAYS turns on in the morning and then turn off after a period of time (if it is bright enough??). If my commute is less than 30 min, I will never see it turning off. Oh man, someone help me understand this part.

About the blue text part... I don't know what to say. Basically it blames the Sun!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:53 AM
Well as a driver's car, you are suppose to do everything manually, so I like to switch the lights on and off myself as if it is not dark i would prefer to have the angel eyes on only? which is the best feature on the E60.
[snapback]192966[/snapback]
You'll forfit the adaptive function if "auto" was not selected.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Nov 3 2005, 08:48 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:53 AM']Well as a driver's car, you are suppose to do everything manually, so I like to switch the lights on and off myself as if it is not dark i would prefer to have the angel eyes on only? which is the best feature on the E60.
[snapback]192966[/snapback]
You'll forfit the adaptive function if "auto" was not selected.
[snapback]193009[/snapback]
[/quote]

I suppose, he mean, he manually turning to auto position when the night comes.

Quick Reply: Frustrating Auto Headlights