E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Frustrating Auto Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Nov 2 2005, 05:53 PM
[quote name='JFiRB' date='Nov 2 2005, 03:46 PM'][quote name='sliu_uu' date='Nov 2 2005, 11:41 AM'][quote name='Don Juan' date='Nov 2 2005, 11:37 PM']Nope no problems here since day one in either car...it works as designed.. maybe your sensor needs to be replaced. <_<
[snapback]192427[/snapback]
It works fine on mine too
[snapback]192432[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oops, just saw you guys's posts after the typing. Alright I am willing to have another dealer visit just for this. As a matter of fact, I do hope I am the only having this problem. At least it proves to me there is nothing wrong with BMW's design, just bad part and bad luck.
[snapback]192439[/snapback]
[/quote]

It has more to do with where you are in the world (latitudes) - They are in South Florida and Hong Kong.

I presume you are in Boston at the moment = sun low in the sky.

There is almost certainly nothing wrong with your sensor.
[snapback]192444[/snapback]
[/quote]

I completely agree. I had the problem with my previous car and no software update or dealer adjustment completely solved it. And a lot of people have noticed that the problem has aggreviated in autumn when the sun is lower. My friend and I received new cars during last month and both of them have this problem.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Gulo Luscus' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:18 AM
Mine work fine, they do come on when the sun is low in the sky but it is not a problem. You are at a greater change of somebody not seeing you when the sun is low in the sky.

It make no difference if I start driving in the dark they switch off within about 15 seconds of leaving a tunnel and coming into day light.

The only problem I have had is in fog when they switched off, it is recommed to manually turn lights on in fog.

Are you sure you do not have the daytime running lights enabled in Idrive?
[snapback]192491[/snapback]
In HK we don't have DRL. When your auto lights is on the little green light on the side will be on so you know when your auto light is on.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

Originally Posted by Gulo Luscus' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:18 PM
Are you sure you do not have the daytime running lights enabled in Idrive?
Huh? Does it has anyting to do with the DRLs? I did ask the dealer to enable the DRLs.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

Originally Posted by igor' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:28 PM
I completely agree. I had the problem with my previous car and no software update or dealer adjustment completely solved it. And? a lot of people have noticed that the problem has aggreviated in autumn when the sun is lower. My friend and I received new cars during last month and both of them have this problem.
[snapback]192500[/snapback]
Sad to know this if this is the fact. However it makes more sense to me since it seemed working fine when I picked up the car 3 months ago. It is getting worse and worse as the weather is getting colder and colder.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by JFiRB' date='Nov 2 2005, 04:04 PM
[quote name='Gulo Luscus' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:18 PM']Are you sure you do not have the daytime running lights enabled in Idrive?
Huh? Does it has anyting to do with the DRLs? I did ask the dealer to enable the DRLs.
[snapback]192582[/snapback]
[/quote]
It has to do with the DRLs at least in this sense: some lights will be on all day. Curiously, the DRLs are the inner bulbs which are also the high beam, but in DRL mode they're dimmer, perhaps more or less the equivalent of a normal low beam.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530dA 05/2004

Hi,

auto-lights working fine. I like it when they turn on when the sun stands low over the horizon. You can be seen much better (e.g. on the autobahn).

And don't forget they (the sensors) don't react on daylight but on uv-light, so it can happen it's daylight outside but not enough uv-light so they switch on the headlights.

I think it's fine.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Never had a problem with the auto headlights, I believe they work as they were designed to do. If I go under and overpass, bam....lights come on....... within a couple of seconds after going through, bam....they go off. Who would have thunk it....they work just fine.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I fully agree with you. Mine drive me nuts. On my way to/from work I go through a wooded area and I have counted them to go on/off 6 times in less than 2 mioes. I once followed a friend of mine and he actually stopped because he thought I was flashing my lights at him!

The dealer has already adjusted the sensitivity, which did absolutely nothing. My wife's car (Japanese model) has them, too , and they simply work.

I understand that the argument is that with such a wonderful driver's car we have, we should not complain about this, but it still drives me nuts if I have a bunch of little things that should but don't work well on a $60,000 car...
Old 11-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Members

Just reading this cracks me up as far as German engineering
I won't even mention the Japanese makers (seems to be a sensitive topic here). My parents had a good'ol American-made Cadillac Fleetwood back in the 1980s. It had automatic headlight with user controllable sensitivity. Always left it on, never had to adjust anything once we're happy with the sensitivity settings. It turns on when it's dark and turns off when bright. No matter if you started the car in the dark or in the Sun. Heck, it even had the courtesy delay at nights

I think by ALL MEANS we need to complain about it. If Cadillac can do it properly 20 some years ago, how can BMW sit on it's handling alone and let the customers iron out the bugs
Old 11-03-2005, 04:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

This morning on the way to work (~ 8 am in bright sunshine) I counted - they turned on/off 11 times in 7 miles.

Quick Reply: Frustrating Auto Headlights